Italy - Honeymoon

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Also highly recommend if you stay in one area for more than a couple days that you go to the local grocery store. You'll save a lot of money buying water or anything there than throughout the day. Seriously. Water costs more than wine.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
People too dumb to buy tickets in advance to go through Sistine. When we went to Rome, there were about 100-150 people in line just to buy tickets.. Guess they don't realize that you can buy tickets online? lol

agripa

Molten Core Raider
I lived in Orviteo for a year during college, it is located in the region of Umbria which is in between Florence and Rome. If you have the time it would make for a good couple of days. There is some great history there, you will especially find a lot of sites concerning the Etruscans which is a civilization that predates the Romans by a couple hundred of years. Orvieto also has some great wines and there is a really cool wine bar that is built beneath the city. Another great Umbrian City is Perugia which is the capital of the region, you are still able to see the original Etruscan gates there. Perugia is also known for their chocolate. The last city(which is more of a necropolis) I would recommend in the region is Cerverteri. It is a UNESCO world heritage site, there are over 1000 tombs that you can see.

Venice is a great city but a tourist trap you can stay in Lido which is much cheaper and very close. There is an old monastery called San Lazzaro degli Armeni in the bay near Venice, they have an amazing view and museum.

Some of my favorite sites in Rome were the Domus Aurea, which is under the Baths of Trajan(check out the baths too!). The Trajan markets and his column detailing his victories in battle(the column is a must see). The temple of Jupiter and the Roman forum, which was the place Cicero's hands were nailed to. The Vatican museum is also a must see. There are a few little churches around Rome that have Caravaggio's in them, they are worth looking for.

If you have time to make it down south to see Pompeii make sure to see Capua on the way which is a very will preserved city, it is also where Spartacus the TV show took place. Naples National Archaeology Museum is a pretty mind blowing place, they have the Alexander Mosaic which is worth going just for that. One of my favorite cities in the south is Paestum which was originally a Greek colony. You can see the Tomb of the Diver there which is one of the few well preserved Greek fresco's. There is also a pretty amazing Greek temple there that is in great condition. The last city I would recommend is Amalfi this picture explains it all.

rrr_img_34819.jpg

Some travel tips in Italy: The trains suck so expect delays. The Rome Termini is full of Gypsies so mind your wallet. The bus from the Rome Termini to Vatican City is full of pickpockets. The closer restaurants are to the main sites the more expensive food will be. Beer is cheaper then soda, take advantage of it. You get charged for bread at restaurants, but on the flip side tips are not expected. Italians do not like to queue. You buy slices of pizza by the kilogram not by the slice. The people get nicer the further south you go. Naples can be very very sketchy at night. Have a great trip!

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
Ok, so after some major planning effort here is the framework for our trip, hotels still being chosen but have a few reserved.

Day1: Arrive in Milan, have a jet lagged lunch then go see last supper (tickets procured) then quickly grab a train to Alba. Sleep at an Agritorismo in La Morra
Day2: Private wine country tour of Piedmont area (Borolo and Barbaresco focus ... La Morra is in Barolo region)
Day3: Breakfast/lunch in Alba then grab train to Venice
Day4-6: Venice
Day7: Breakfast in venice than grab train to Ravenna for a day trip then hop on train to Florence
Day8: Florence
Day9: AM in Florence, PM train to Siena
Day10: Private wine counry tour of Tuscany (Brunello, Super Tuscan focus)
Day 11: Siena in the morning/early afternoon then grab train to sorrento (through naples)
Day 12-13: Sorrento and Naples (Pompeii, Herculanium etc)
Day 14: Early train to Rome
Day 15-17: Rome
Day 18: Fly Home

Seems frantic but honestly this is way paired down from the outline we started with.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
Since this is a grand tour of the country we had to sacrifice a lot of the smaller towns to make it feel less frantic. I very much hope to be back in the years to come though to take it a bit slower and see the small towns more. We are both red wine fans so we wanted to see the 2 major wine regions of italy (our next trip might just be focused on Piedmont orTuscany).

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
You seriously only going to be in Florence for just a day? Unbelievable. That was my favorite location in Italy next to Taormina.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
But you're going to Rome...lol. It's your decision, but, I would just stay in Florence another day.

And I'm sure you've done it already, but, if not...get the fast trains. Do NOT get the normal trains. They are fucking slow and you will spend HOURS traveling via train. We made that mistake from Milan to Venice. After that, we did the fast trains and managed to get to destinations much faster. It's not even that much more expensive.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
Using trenitalia.it to compare routes/speeds. Rome isn't as much about the art as the ruins, we both love roman era culture/ruins. I get more excited for frescos and mosaics than renaissance era art. We will probably day trip to Ostia and Hadrian's villa.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
OK. Well, I would definitely recommend their high-speed trains or else you will be on a train all day. Also, get first class. You get free champagne as well as snacks.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
Didn't know they served champagne, we tend to go as upscale as we can on this trip. But 18 days of hotels/B&Bs that are decent is going to drain the pockets a bit!

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
My ex and I did something similar to what you're doing. Travel as much as possible within a short period. Again, my *biggest* recommendation are the high-speed trains, first class. You get reserved seating, free champagne, and the seats are very comfortable. You choose the slower speed trains, you're going to regret it. Ugh, that was the worst ride ever.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
Yep, I agree we will use the fastest we can get. The only really long leg (>3hrs) is the one from Siena to sorrento. It basically:

Siena
14:18

to
Firenze S. M. Novella
15:50

Firenze S. M. Novella
16:19
to

Napoli Centrale
18:50

Then the commuter train to sorrento.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Firenze is great but if you go to Italia and don't spend a few days in Rome you're really cheating yourself. Firenze is very enjoyable but Roma has a few of the biggest parts of history in the world.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I spent around 3 days in Rome on my honeymoon, and needed another 3 just to start to get enough.

Had a villa on the outskirts of Cortona for 3 weeks, and rented a little car.