J-Pop/Anime

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'll gladly admit all my J-Pop music is found through Anime, as such i'll start off with...

a man

Hironobu Kageyama

a legend in anime,
Saint Seiya - soldier dream

i know, youre thinking, wth, this old just doing songs from the 80s? while he's Japans own ozzy ozbourne, he does new stuff, in fact he does colabs like

JAM Project

Hero

if you watch anime and don't know this recent song, youre a lost cause.

Ok, so maybe instead of old men you want to see girls

LiSA
i'd say would be the prettiest, also the past 5 years her anime songs are tops like

Gurenge
(this youtube series focus' on singers coming in the morning and just singing, this video almost has 100m views)

Molten Core Raider
I dont listen to near as much Japanese music as I used to but one of my favorites was always Band Maid. They unfortunately get lumped in with Baby Metal a lot, but are vastly more talented imo. They write and perform their own music and don't come across as something churned out by the Idol Machine over the Japan. The rhythm guitarist had the idea for the silly maid outfits, but I guess every band in Japan has to have a gimmick.

Dice is very good, and a good first listen if you've never heard of the band

This song is one of my favs

This is an instrumental/rest song so the lead singer can take a break, but it's even become its own thing at their live shows.

I also enjoy most of the stuff Sawano Hiroyuki writes. He's a composer who has written stuff for countless anime series at this point including Attack on Titan, Gundam, and many others. He usually brings in various vocalists and his music style is all over the map from orchestral pieces to techno house music sounding stuff. There's something in this guys catalog for pretty much anyone, provided you like anime/jp music.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Let's go into the weird world of singers in anime, and IRL and the talent agency flyingdog

for the Anime Macross Delta there is an idol group called Walkure, a group of 5 girls, irl they were actually scouted first and the band was created in conjunction with the Anime, as anyone that has watched Macross, it is all about mechs and singing

this is them in yokohama arena, that seats over 15k crazy fans

this is the anime

They've become more relevant now in times of covid since they literally destroy disease through the power of song, there is also a new Macross Delta movie coming out.

note, i believe Macross Delta is trash, but i like the music the most, with that lets goto Macross F

these are the two singers in the series May'n and megumi nakajima

May'n has done various songs for other animes, here is her w/ LiSA

(it's linked b/c LiSA song is Swort Art Online and May'n song is Accel World, which is the future of what SAO will be)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
let's cover wagakki band today

they mix traditional japanese music with rock

whats traditional japanese music sound like? if youre some dumb pleb and have never seen japanese films like 7 samurai

more recently ghost of tsushima, here's a white guy playing the shakuhaci, he's not some hipster, and he's recognized by japans grand masters, so think of him like the steven segal of the bamboo flute

anyway wagakki also has strings and whatever, their first big hit

tengaku

and they've made a great cover of senbonzakura the hatusune miku song

i believe this was going to be the 2020 olypic theme or song

but you know, covid