Japan

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I was in Kyoto with my wife (she's Japanese) 2 years ago. We stayed at one of those traditional style hotels. It was roughly $600 USD per night, but it was incredible. Also, that price included breakfast and lunch every day. The hotel had a total of 26 rooms, and a "room girl" that took care of everything that you need. I was pretty much convinced that if I wanted to, she would have had a 3 some with my wife and I. But then again, she was only being friendly and doing her job.

I don't know the name of the hotel, but here is the sign at the gate (Maybe one of you can read it).
Can't really see it properly but the first symbol is fire and the second kinda looks like rice paddy but I can't see the top of it. Got a clearer shot?

Also the word you are looking for when it comes to a Japanese inn is "Ryoukan" - Did you ever have a kaiseki meal? It's pretty normal to be served a traditional Japanese banquet at a Ryoukan. Was there an onsen?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Here are pictures of one of the meals.

BQByPyI.jpg

teQTESq.jpg

aEndzvW.jpg

7qcY1Fi.jpg

I'll look on google maps to see if I can find the place. Even though it's been a few years, I could pretty much locate it. (It was Really close to the Thousand Steps temple thing up on top of the mountain).

BQByPyI.jpg

teQTESq.jpg

aEndzvW.jpg

7qcY1Fi.jpg

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I was making an email blog of the trip. Looks like we were there back in August of '09. (We went back this past September to show off our daughter to her relatives). Anyway, here's what I wrote back then:

Jon (August 23rd_sl said:
I consider the real day one a wash out because I didn't really do anything except fly, travel by train, eat, and attempt to sleep. The email I sent you before was the "new" day 1, and night 2. So here's the new day 2. I can't comment on the night yet, because we haven't gone to bed.

So we're still in Kyoto japan, but we've moved away from a more residential area and into the historic version. It's so beautiful out here, and the streets are incredible. There's a fair amount of shops and what not, but EVERYTHING looks very manicured. Not just the trees and what not, but even the sidewalks are carved stone with inserts and what not. It's really rather incredible. The temples are great, and tomorrow we're headed to a special one that's the tallest in Japan. It allows you a 360 degree look over all of Kyoto's surrounding area, so I'll try to grab a few pictures of there. I've tried taking a bunch, but I definitely haven't taken as many as dad likes to.

The hotel we're staying at now is very traditional Japan, and only has 26 rooms total. Our room has low doors (I've smacked my head quite a few times) and mortar / lumber construction complete with paper covering the door and window panes. that looks like it's from a Japanese movie. Very quaint, but again missing a bed. There's a girl that is our room's attendant. Her job was to bring Manami and I a welcome snack of Green Tea and this very very chewy rice creation (like gum, but didn't want to break) that had a crushed bean inside that tasted surprisingly like Peanut Butter. She also brings us our traditional dinner & breakfast and talks to us to explain what we're eating. There isn't a menu, they just bring you a meal.

I've enjoyed most of it. There was a piece of octopus that had a slimy coat on it, almost like animal fat. As I was chewing that piece, I dry heaved a few times, so I decided it was better to spit it out and continue on some other stuff.

Anyway, about today: We had rain last night and early today. That made the humidity level plummet. Today was just gorgeous and it was in the mid 80's. Just a great day. Manami's back in our room now, taking a shower or possibly a bath. They have one of those Japanese Sitting Tubs in our room (it's like a really deep bathtub with square sides, so you can sit up to your neck in water) and she was fairly excited about that. While she's doing that, I've come down to the Hotel Lobby to use their internet. I'll have a bunch of pictures of this area... it's incredible.

Well, I'll talk to you later on. We're going to call the room girl up shortly and have her set up the mats for us to sleep on. The small square room has a table in the middle that she will remove and allow us to sleep on the floor in the same place.

I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Jon (August 25th_sl said:
So as I type this it's (Microsoft word is telling me that I should use its) 2:30pm local time and I'm on a bullet train from Kyoto to Hiroshima. We're looking at a 2 hour travel time. We checked out of our traditional hotel at 11am this morning and did some final shopping around the city before getting on the train. Manami picked up some stuff for our house.

I've made a few more observations. Japanese people as a whole tend to like really bitter food. We went to a shop that had soft ice cream. it's awesome and dissolves in your mouth almost like Rita's Water Ice. It's not thick and heavy the way American style soft ice cream is. But yeah, onto the bitter. The biggest selling ice cream is this green tea garbage. It just tastes BAD. Not even close to sweet, the way ice cream should. The entire culture over here seems to thrive on green tea, and honestly, the stuff is nasty.

Yesterday at the hotel Asahi, our personal room girl, brought by home made tea. It was strange looking. Almost like oily water that was a dark iridescent green. It looked almost exactly like paint. Manami loved it. I despised it.
The second observation that I made is that driving over here is great. I know that the Asian stereotype is that they are all bad drivers, but that couldn't be farther from the truth over here. They have to take a fairly expensive 3 month driver training program to qualify for a license and not everyone will pass. They also have extremely high fines for breaking driving laws.

Traffic flows so smoothly over here. I haven't seen a single car with any damage on it, and with how many are driving around and how many people there are, it's difficult to comprehend. They just all drive VERY well. We really should adopt some of their driving instructions over here in the states. At the very least having the 3 month training and make it that not everyone can get a license. They drive around and no one is using a cell phone or text messaging. I actually feel safer walking around on the busy streets out here than I have on any similar street in the US. It's unbelievable.

Anyway, onto our meals: The hotel included breakfast & dinner. The meals in Kyoto are known for having many different flavors that don't overlap each other. What I mean by that is they give you small portions of a bunch of different foods, each with a different and unique taste. I managed to get through both dinners with only a few upsets (like the octopus that I already told you about), but the one breakfast was just bad. I couldn't eat 60% of it. The 2nd day they offered me a conventional Egg, Toast and Yogurt breakfast instead of the Kyoto style.

We toured all over Kyoto and I have probably 200+ pictures of the area and our Hotel. There are a bunch of shrines here that let you pray for things like good business, romance, health and all that good stuff. The temple I was telling you about that had the 360 degree view was closed to the public, as far as climbing it. You could walk all around it though, and there were some great shots to be had. It really is an incredible area.

Manami met up with her friend from Osaka yesterday. She was leaving on a trip to Malaysia for a wedding this morning, which is why it couldn't wait. We did some sight seeing with her, and showed her our room. Then the two girls went out shopping for a few hours while I took a nap. Her dad is Japanese, and her mom is Australian. She speaks perfect English and Japanese, but it was funny to see an Asian girl speaking English with that Australian accent.

Well, I can't think of anything else to tell you about right now.
I'll let you know how Hiroshima goes on my train ride to Osaka tomorrow. Bye.
After reading this, I've realized just how much of a foreigner I was on this first trip. I really did bitch about a lot of things. This latest trip we went on, I ate everything happily. Maybe my taste buds have evolved or something, or I got beyond that "Eww, yucky!" ideology that most of us Americans carry. *shrugs*. Anyway, I wanted to share the posts with you anyway.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Call me crazy but that kind of Japanese food doesn't do it for me. I much rather munch of on the following:

rrr_img_24555.jpg
rrr_img_24556.jpg

rrr_img_24557.jpg
rrr_img_24558.jpg

rrr_img_24555.jpg

rrr_img_24556.jpg

rrr_img_24557.jpg

rrr_img_24558.jpg

woot!

Trakanon Raider
Question for Japan experts: I might have an opportunity to go to Japan/Tokyo next year, but half my stay would be during "Golden Week". How big a deal is that? Is it like Christmas/Thanksgiving level holiday where everything is closed, or is it more like a Memorial Day type holiday stretch (ie, it's a holiday for office folks/government and all the retail/restaurant people still work)?

Any suggestions for places to see would be appreciated. Obviously would go see the Imperial Palace area (the areas that can be accessed anyways) and not interested in waking up at 5am for the fish market thing ;P Any suggestions for good places to eat is appreciated as well. I don't drink, so I don't give a fuck about bars/booze cruises ;P
As said by Chysamere, Golden week is nothing like NYE. Most of the places will be open, but it's not realy the best time to visit Japan as a tourist, as everything will be more expensive, and all the places will be very (very) crowded. If you can slide your stay to end just before or to start just after the gw, it'd be much better for you.
Unless you have friends/relatives there. In that case it's much better to go when they have holidays and can show you around, which will make the experience 100 times better.
Same goes for restaurants ; knowing japanese or having a local friend to hang around with, unlocks a new world of possibilities, as a lot of restaurants outside of the tourist/expat areas will not have english speaking staff or menu.
Actually most of the time you will just walk by restaurants and not even know there is one just next to you, as a lot of them are not on ground level, but might be underground, or on various floors of appartement buildings (same thing for shops, that was quite unsetteling for me first time I discovered that
tongue.png
)
That being said, if you are not afraid to trying fun/new things, get into an Izakaya, and when they hand you the menu, tell them "omakase shimasu" [ohmakasey shimass] (I'll leave it to you). With a tiny bit of luck, you'll be in for a real treat ; or in the worst case, an interesting story to tell afterwards
wink.png

Another interesting experience would be to go watch a Kabuki or Noh play. They can be very long (think half a day with intermissions), but you don't have to watch the whole thing, sometimes you can buy tickets just for one act (about an hour).

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Christmas and New Years are reversed in Japan, as far as America views these holidays.

Christmas is a time be with your friends. Get them small gifts and the like.
New Years Eve is for your family. Travel back home and enjoy your parents & grand parents.

Definitely the opposite of what we do in America.

Szlia

Another interesting experience would be to go watch a Kabuki or Noh play. They can be very long (think half a day with intermissions), but you don't have to watch the whole thing, sometimes you can buy tickets just for one act (about an hour).
I actually went to a kabuki theater. A bit like a classical music concert, it's a program so not necessarily one super long play divided in acts. When I went, I checked a one act play that was an adaptation from puppet theater. There was a separate entrance for the people not seeing the whole program and things were well done for foreigners. You had a leaflet with some explanations about customs in kabuki theaters (like member of the audience shouting the name of the acting schools of the actors when they enter stage, or claps and cheers for specific lines during scenes) and a synopsis of the plays. You could also rent a device attached to a headphone to have a translation of the play (I think it was a narrator, not a line by line translation). All in all it was a very enjoyable and interesting experience. I think it wasthere.

My only regret is that the play I saw, while good and very interesting as far scenography was concerned, was not typical of what you expect of Kabuki, something colorful, with action, impressive stage and costume transformations, etc. It's probably because it was originally written for puppets (I never saw a puppet show - bunraku - but I believe it is also pretty awesome - there are like three puppeteers per character, so postures and even faces are very expressive).

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ok, looks like I'm headed back to Japan on September 1st. Return home on the 19th.

Spending 3 nights in Kyoto, then a bunch between Niigata & Yamagata (my wife's family), then finishing the trip with 4 days in Tokyo. I don't yet know what hotel I'll be staying at, or even where in Tokyo I'll be staying. I suspect it'll be near my wife's brother's place, so he and I can have fun every night. I'll post updates.

Chysa, you still down for some drinks?

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Not 100% sure. It will depend on timing, I'm going to be out of Tokyo for 2 weeks at some stage, but it hasn't been decided when yet.

Cybsled

La Sora Seed was probably the best restaurant I visited my entire time in Japan. Set course meal (either 75 or 100 bucks approximately), but it was so damned good. Especially the beef. It's in the Skytree complex in Tokyo.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
God, I so want to go to Japan. :{ I'm trying to get my Japanese girlfriend to go since she has family in Japan. UGHH!!!

Vinen

God is dead
Xarpolis;789074 said:
You're doing the full asian adventure though. I'd like to visit some of those places. What was the final decision maker to do your multi-country trip?[/QUOT

Quality of "massage parlors" and pink salons I assume.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So we're leaving for Japan on Monday morning. I still don't know my exact schedule, except there's going to be a few days in Kyoto, a lot of days between Niigata and Yamagata, and a few days in Tokyo.

As far as Tokyo goes, it's just going to be my wife's brother and I. He lives in the outskirts of the city, so we're going to take the train into the city, spend a few days at a hotel, then train back to Niigata before I finally fly home to Philly.

Chysa, hit me up in this thread or send me an email at[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */
I'd love to grab a beer. My name's Jon, by the way.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Go to a bar in Roppongi. Pick a girl. The bar sluts are easy to single out. She'll take you home, wash you, fuck your brains out all night, let you sleep as long as you want, feed you breakfast, wash you again, then you will never see her again.

These kinds of girls are the only Japanese girls that groom their nether regions as well.
Fuck, I think I've found heaven, and it's name is Japan. The only chick that has ever washed me after sex was an ex-Mormon.