Jedi Fallen Order (By Respawn Entertainment)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Damn, I haven't played it yet but thought people were enjoying it.
it's not a BAD game. it's enjoyable for what it is. it's much less a souls-light and much more a sekiro-light. extremely light. it's sekiro for journalists.

and yeah, the collections are cool for the first planet, but then when you realize that they all just feel like palette swaps it loses it's luster real quick. the way force unleashed did costumes was FAR superior. they were all distinctly different. in this game you're either wearing a poncho or not. the outfits are all the same, just different colors. and like has been said before, you get all these different kinds of lightsaber pieces, but outside of building the saber, you can't really actually tell the difference.

i don't really mind the backtracking, to be honest. it's the same concept that you see in metroid games and the map is suited very well to that purpose.

the characters are all kind of bland. i don't particularly like the recent trend of hiring live action actors to do voice work. there are similarities in the job, but it flexes a completely different acting muscle. the storm troopers are infinitely more entertaining to listen to than any of the main characters because they are voiced by honest to god voice actors like matt mercer.

overall, like i said earlier, it's not a bad game. it's a game that is just missing some pretty obvious pieces that is stopping it from being something special

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Turns out the jedi knight modding scene is super active for jedi academy.

I'll keep y'all up to date on my unrequited love for a jedi knight sequel.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Turns out the jedi knight modding scene is super active for jedi academy.

I'll keep y'all up to date on my unrequited love for a jedi knight sequel.
Jedi Knight and Jedi Academy were awesome when they came out. Not sure how well they would've aged in 2019.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Jedi Knight and Jedi Academy were awesome when they came out. Not sure how well they would've aged in 2019.

I played this shit way too much. We ran a server and even had Clan battles and ran in some tournaments. I loaded both up a year ago to play through them again and I couldn't deal with the old graphics and shit. lol

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I finally finished this. While I enjoyed it, it’s not a great game. Everything about it is ok. I didn’t find anything truly bad, but nothing was really great either. It’s the very definition of average.

Still if they were to make a sequel I’d most likely play it as even though it was average overall I did have fun and it had some great Star Wars moment in it. I would hope they’d improve though.

• 1Solidarity

j00t

i'd like to play a star wars game that doesn't feel the need to connect itself to the movies so badly. obviously the old republic games were great for this, but i'd like to play some off the wall stuff. like a witch of dathomir or something

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Finally finished this as well. Cracks started to really show around Dathomir.

The jankyness made the final two chapters feel like a slog and that's a shame because I actually liked the combat and platforming. Even to the extent that I plan to go back and find all the pointless secrets at my drunken leisure, but even that had it's flaws. Anytime there are more than 5 targets, shit gets frustrating fast and the range for targeting is too short.

Story was okay, but I felt no connection with any of the characters so found myself just ignoring most of it. Maybe I'm spoiled by Santa Monica and Naughty Dog, but these other studios need to figure it out.

All in all, the good out weighs the bad and this is a good starting point for a new IP. Needs more polish and more customization and they could have a serious hit on their hands.

• 1Like

j00t

Finally finished this as well. Cracks started to really show around Dathomir.

The jankyness made the final two chapters feel like a slog and that's a shame because I actually liked the combat and platforming. Even to the extent that I plan to go back and find all the pointless secrets at my drunken leisure, but even that had it's flaws. Anytime there are more than 5 targets, shit gets frustrating fast and the range for targeting is too short.

Story was okay, but I felt no connection with any of the characters so found myself just ignoring most of it. Maybe I'm spoiled by Santa Monica and Naughty Dog, but these other studios need to figure it out.

All in all, the good out weighs the bad and this is a good starting point for a new IP. Needs more polish and more customization and they could have a serious hit on their hands.

i just replayed last of us because troy baker (joel) and nolan north (nathan drake) are playing it on retro replay (youtube channel). it's great watching them play because it's like watching a movie with the director/actor commentary track. anyway, troy said that originally the producers wanted the opening with joel and sarah to be 100% cutscene but niel druckman (the director) fought tooth and nail to slow the whole thing down and make is mostly playable SPECIFICALLY so that you start empathizing with the characters and what's going on.

it's extremely amazing how the little details are what makes you empathize with a character... like when they are driving away from their home during the outbreak and they pass by the people on the road, tommy wants to stop and help them, joel demands they keep going and sarah just says extremely blink-and-you'll-miss-it quietly "we shoulda helped them..." or in God of War when kratos is bringing his unconscious son to freya and he's on the elevator just panicked and pacing. he doesn't say anything but he says it so loudly. this game misses moments like that. everything that happens just feels... manufactured.

it is a HUGE pet peeve of mine in movies and especially games when things don't make internal sense. like when you enter a building and the layout is CLEARLY a set piece instead of a house that someone lives in or a office that people work in. in this game you open up a tomb and it turns into a puzzle... okay fine, i'll buy some goonies or last crusade puzzle solving... but you open up a tomb that the empire is looking for but hasn't found, and then make it 10 minutes in and run into stormtroopers that were not only able to circumvent whatever puzzle you had to solve to get in, but were able to do it with enough time to set up shop. you'll go through a wall running, vine swinging, ice sliding escapade only to see that regular stormtroopers were somehow able to do that too.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Mao

Trakanon Raider
i just replayed last of us because troy baker (joel) and nolan north (nathan drake) are playing it on retro replay (youtube channel). it's great watching them play because it's like watching a movie with the director/actor commentary track. anyway, troy said that originally the producers wanted the opening with joel and sarah to be 100% cutscene but niel druckman (the director) fought tooth and nail to slow the whole thing down and make is mostly playable SPECIFICALLY so that you start empathizing with the characters and what's going on.

it's extremely amazing how the little details are what makes you empathize with a character... like when they are driving away from their home during the outbreak and they pass by the people on the road, tommy wants to stop and help them, joel demands they keep going and sarah just says extremely blink-and-you'll-miss-it quietly "we shoulda helped them..." or in God of War when kratos is bringing his unconscious son to freya and he's on the elevator just panicked and pacing. he doesn't say anything but he says it so loudly. this game misses moments like that. everything that happens just feels... manufactured.

it is a HUGE pet peeve of mine in movies and especially games when things don't make internal sense. like when you enter a building and the layout is CLEARLY a set piece instead of a house that someone lives in or a office that people work in. in this game you open up a tomb and it turns into a puzzle... okay fine, i'll buy some goonies or last crusade puzzle solving... but you open up a tomb that the empire is looking for but hasn't found, and then make it 10 minutes in and run into stormtroopers that were not only able to circumvent whatever puzzle you had to solve to get in, but were able to do it with enough time to set up shop. you'll go through a wall running, vine swinging, ice sliding escapade only to see that regular stormtroopers were somehow able to do that too.
This last part annoyed the shit out of me and I was thinking I just had to be crazy and was the only one. Why are all the passage ways in the fucking bases only passable by a Jedi with wall run? Don't fucking storm troopers have to walk through this shit? It was constantly just pulling me out of it knowing that shit was there just to make me do stupid Jedi parkour and had nothing to do with an actual layout of a temple or base or anything. Good to know that even if I am crazy, I'm not the only one.

Unlocking the 2bladed light saber has made combat in the game more manageable and less tedious. But as said before. Game just feels... mediocre. If it wasn't for the Star Wars, I'd prolly just pass.

j00t

This last part annoyed the shit out of me and I was thinking I just had to be crazy and was the only one. Why are all the passage ways in the fucking bases only passable by a Jedi with wall run? Don't fucking storm troopers have to walk through this shit? It was constantly just pulling me out of it knowing that shit was there just to make me do stupid Jedi parkour and had nothing to do with an actual layout of a temple or base or anything. Good to know that even if I am crazy, I'm not the only one.

Unlocking the 2bladed light saber has made combat in the game more manageable and less tedious. But as said before. Game just feels... mediocre. If it wasn't for the Star Wars, I'd prolly just pass.

yeah, none of it felt organic. i'd be okay with ilum being super traversal puzzle heavy, as it basically says that jedi would take their padawans here and train them. there are a couple force echo spots where you can hear that exact thing. i think the clone wars had a similar idea in an episode... but the whole game is like that.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
After playing it to completion, I didn't like it much. The combat felt loose and uninteresting and the exploration was incredibly unsatisfying unless you care about cosmetic rewards. Dark Souls and good Metroidvanias reward exploration by putting something unique at the end of an optional path, or at least something useful to make you feel stronger. Fallen Order put a poncho material or if you were really lucky a stim upgrade (which also felt useless after a while because there was no real repercussions to resting).
I also found that every planet broke down into distinct parts of:
  1. Follow linear path
  2. Get upgrade
  3. Return to all paths previously inaccessible in order to get cosmetic rewards
  4. Return back to obvious linear path
It didn't have the same magic as metroidvanias had, but it tried really hard to be one.

The characters were pretty shit honestly. Greez was the best character probably alongside the second sister. Cere was awful and looked fucking terrible (Like seriously, how is this not a racist caricature of a black person lol).

The exploration has to be the biggest issue for me though, because it was actually kind of fun exploring these alternate paths, and every now and then you'd find an interesting puzzle or cool set piece, that was massively marred by the pointlessness of it all with the reward being a gigantic nothingburger. Another issue was how a lot of these alt paths were samey. They would have really similar puzzles or uninspired platforming. When you did find an interesting puzzle/platforming part/set piece you would have fun exploring it, and then get pissed off by the shit reward at the end or pointless skill points. These interesting areas were also too few and far between. Halve the alt paths, add interesting rewards at the end of them and they would have been a ton more tolerable.

I can even get behind cosmetic rewards if the rewards are cool. Force Unleashed did this a lot better and had really interesting outfits. This game had ponchos.

All in all it was pretty bad with glimpses of good.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I have had five hard crashes in the last five minutes on Ilum. Wtf.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Finished it up. More out of “Well I guess I have come this far I may as well finish it” then actually giving a shit. Only two characters I liked were BD and the captain of the ship. Didn’t give a rip about anyone else.

Also the next development company that puts the bulk of the story inside text walls and not in the game graphical presentations can jump off a cliff.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Wow, so apparently you can get more stims? I must be a retard, I played the whole game with only two...

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

Ok, that chicks videos are fucking amazing. Another one of those, "Why did I not think of that?" ideas... My girlfriend hates everything I do, making her write reviews of me playing a video game would be great!

Haven't played this yet, but sure sounds like it's "Ok/decent" rather than "good" or "bad". Anyone else getting the vibe that Respawn probably had minimal time to work on this (whether they asked for the project, or EA threw it on them), and maybe this first one was a last minute rush to show EA that Respawn can make a lot of money with the Star Wars IP, even with single player games? Maybe it's wishful thinking, but even before this released it seemed like they didn't have much time to make this game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Ok, that chicks videos are fucking amazing. Another one of those, "Why did I not think of that?" ideas... My girlfriend hates everything I do, making her write reviews of me playing a video game would be great!

Haven't played this yet, but sure sounds like it's "Ok/decent" rather than "good" or "bad". Anyone else getting the vibe that Respawn probably had minimal time to work on this (whether they asked for the project, or EA threw it on them), and maybe this first one was a last minute rush to show EA that Respawn can make a lot of money with the Star Wars IP, even with single player games? Maybe it's wishful thinking, but even before this released it seemed like they didn't have much time to make this game.

yeah, they've been doing it for like a year or so... they're pretty great. i guess he edits the videos and she writes the scripts. they have a genuine love for video games so it's nice that it's not just some girl who has no idea what's going on but feels the need to inject what she thinks is funny but isn't. they're a fun couple

• 1Like