Jedi Fallen Order (By Respawn Entertainment)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
hang on there spronk - 15 years have passed between Rogue 1 and a New Hope?

That must have been the longest space chase in forever.

I don't really like games that bind double pressing a key. Especially bad here as it is bound to a defensive move. This delays execution of the move not only for the double pressed variant but also for the single pressed one, as the game needs to wait those few ms to verify you didn't actually double press. Every time I barely miss a timing I blame it on the mechanic instead of me.

And those loading times are... something else

As for the story, I think it's funny you get to that jedi hideout and the first thing you do is murder all the wildlife in the vicinity with your light saber. If I were one of those npc, I'd be all like "woah this kid has issues."

Last edited:

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
what do you guys mean double pressing? are you talking about on keyboard? i don't know if i could even attempt this on a keyboard... i'm using a ps4 gamepad and everything makes sense. there's no double pressing anything. you just have a block button and if you press it at the right time during an attack it becomes a parry. i don't know why that would change on a keyboard since the idea is the same. press and hold to block, press during an attack to parry.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You have to double press B/Circle to do a real dodge roll and not just a short lunge (which doesn't seem to have [m]any i-frames). I don't like it much either. I use the jump button to evade stuff a lot of the time, and I try to only ever evade attacks that cannot be parried at all.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Also the dodge kick shows Circle + Square as the input but you can do it one after the other and not simultaneously.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That kick works so rarely for me that I stopped even trying to use it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Oh I don’t disagree. Combat is pretty mundane and boils down to “press square” a bunch. A lot they could have done here.

Also, regarding local wildlife...fuck these games that want to make me some Jedi badass but a fucking ferret takes four lightsaber hits to the face. At least most trpoppers are 1 shot.

Cybsled

The way they
handled Vader showing up was really well done. He felt legitimately fucking terrifying, and gave a hint at what the people terrified of him in the movies would be experiencing
It added a full rank point for me

Ya, the way they handled Vader was perfect. He was feared for a reason and was basically a unstoppable juggernaut. The fact the main character and even the more seasoned jedi were chumps compared to him was perfect

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Hate it's EA but glad Respawn proved them wrong

I would like to see the actual revenue numbers. I would bet 100% they count Origin Access digital downloads in that digital sale. I am guessing there are a lot of people who bought up $14.99 for one month of the PC service just to play it and cancel that service.

The game itself is completely mediocre. The rewards are terrible meaningless single player cosmetics which do absolutely nothing for your character. The combat is bland and sometimes unresponsive. The boss fights are a bore without a lot of dynamics. The backtracking gets old - and the story (At least for me so far on my rental from Gamefly) having just left Wookie land and now going back to a planet I was already at, is a complete bore. Maybe things will change towards the end of the story to make me want more. They will need to add quite a bit to the next game. Namely, a much better story and gear to aim for to improve your character. Obviously range weapons would help - and an actual challenge.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mao

Trakanon Raider
I would like to see the actual revenue numbers. I would bet 100% they count Origin Access digital downloads in that digital sale. I am guessing there are a lot of people who bought up $14.99 for one month of the PC service just to play it and cancel that service.

The game itself is completely mediocre. The rewards are terrible meaningless single player cosmetics which do absolutely nothing for your character. The combat is bland and sometimes unresponsive. The boss fights are a bore without a lot of dynamics. The backtracking gets old - and the story (At least for me so far on my rental from Gamefly) having just left Wookie land and now going back to a planet I was already at, is a complete bore. Maybe things will change towards the end of the story to make me want more. They will need to add quite a bit to the next game. Namely, a much better story and gear to aim for to improve your character. Obviously range weapons would help - and an actual challenge.
I've just started a little while ago and headed to Wookie land, and the game for me is tedious. I am playing it for the story, but if this wasn't the Star Wars IP it'd be a flop. I'm playing on the playstation, and maybe I'm just a boomer now but I feel like the controls are fighting me more than being intuitive. The sliding puzzles by far seem to be the worst. As far as I can tell, they only exist to pad time and content and the control scheme and camera during the slides is more frustrating than a fun 'look mom I'm surfing!" vibe. The combat seems to rely heavily on lock on, since without it I will be facing my camera at a dude and instead my character will go attacking off in another direction. But fuck me if I can get it to lock on until I'm already in melee range. Putting the lock on swap on the same control that moves the camera was another questionable choice. Add to that the platforming to get more colors for my poncho and it almost seems like anything other than just grinding the story to finish is pointless. None of the rewards feel... rewarding. I would really like to know what playtesters gave as feedback, and how a lot of this was thought of as a good idea.

Still, its a Star Wars game and the story so far is bland, but servicable. I want to know enough of the story that I'll keep playing. Though I might just drop this off hard difficulty down to easy and just punch it out like some sorta of interactive visual novel, cause the gameplay just isn't... fun. It just feels more a chore.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Watching videos about Jedi Academy / Outcast is more fun than playing JFO.

• 2Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I've just started a little while ago and headed to Wookie land, and the game for me is tedious. I am playing it for the story, but if this wasn't the Star Wars IP it'd be a flop. I'm playing on the playstation, and maybe I'm just a boomer now but I feel like the controls are fighting me more than being intuitive. The sliding puzzles by far seem to be the worst. As far as I can tell, they only exist to pad time and content and the control scheme and camera during the slides is more frustrating than a fun 'look mom I'm surfing!" vibe. The combat seems to rely heavily on lock on, since without it I will be facing my camera at a dude and instead my character will go attacking off in another direction. But fuck me if I can get it to lock on until I'm already in melee range. Putting the lock on swap on the same control that moves the camera was another questionable choice. Add to that the platforming to get more colors for my poncho and it almost seems like anything other than just grinding the story to finish is pointless. None of the rewards feel... rewarding. I would really like to know what playtesters gave as feedback, and how a lot of this was thought of as a good idea.

Still, its a Star Wars game and the story so far is bland, but servicable. I want to know enough of the story that I'll keep playing. Though I might just drop this off hard difficulty down to easy and just punch it out like some sorta of interactive visual novel, cause the gameplay just isn't... fun. It just feels more a chore.

Yeah it's not because you are a boomer :) It's just a very poorly thought out control response system. Just wait, there are a couple jumping puzzles where you are fighting it tooth and nail. I am doing the same thing. I slid everything to easy mode, and you just button mash it now. It doesn't matter anyway, because you cannot time the control patterns around combat because it's janky and unresponsive anyway. I would care more if I actually could UPGRADE my lightsaber rather than just cosmetics and have needed skill sets to defeat certain bosses, and if bosses had actual abilities that mattered, instead of just block and whack a mole, or roll out of a tell tale red flashing give away. It's like they were thinking, "Oh hey if we add meditation points and treat them like bonfires with some button layouts for various combat skills we can Dark Souls this up at the same time we go all tomb raider mode too!" Except they failed to realize that what makes Dark Souls Fun is actual GOOD combat, with tons of unique bosses that all have their own skill sets you have to counter. and completely different playstyles based on weapon selection. DS also has responsive timing in it's combat. It also has upgrades to gear. It also has soul to it. And then they fall short on the Tomb Raider puzzles because nothing is fresh after you side wall something for the 700th time, or force push the obvious walking platform, or force pull a tarzan rope to you.

Then how they present the story. Let's take the absolute worst part about Destiny here and recreate it. It shows you next to nothing in Dialogue that even means anything, and you get more story out of going to your datapad and reading it. Fucking hate that shit. Put the story in the damn game - either with cut scenes, or better, moving dialogue. There are bits and pieces of that with the Sisters in various parts which I will not spoil because you aren't where I am yet, but that should have been replicated across the entire game not just certain segments piece mealed together.

And lastly, yeah. Write a damn story worth a shit. Which is disappointing considering anything one could have done here differently and experience from God of War development.

And Jesus the backtracking. I am at the point now where I am so tired of getting to my objective and then using this stupid map to find out how to get back to my ship. What a cheesy ass way to pad game length. Only one cool thing has happened o far in my backtracking to get back to the ship, but nothing of that story was ever even fucking laid out to begin with so it had ZERO investment from me in caring other than "Well, at least this is something new for once" (You will see when you get there) and of course I had to read about it after it was all over because none of the cut scenes said jack shit about why I ended up there aside from a worthless little snippet which didn't give any back drop to it.

I could write better shit than this. During drunk gaming weekend.

I am far enough in I just want to blast through it and return it. No idea, other than Respawn fanboy ism, this is getting reviews like it was from various outlets. It's a pretty mediocre, bland, game. Problem is we have been conditioned to EA's dogshit Star Wars games for so long now, we get something like this and even the medicore garbage stands out from what we were sold before.

Disney needs to open this IP up and give it to everyone and licensing popular IP's as a monopoly (NFL, Star Wars) should be illegal. Would love to see what Naughty Dog would do with this IP. Or Guerilla games. Shit, ANYONE worth a shit.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Everything about this game is comprised and subpar.

Fighting is terrible - fails at dark souls combat

Skills are boring and do not flow well with combat

Story is boring and I could not care less about Cal

Setting is dull, map system is bad, maps are bad

Graphics are PS3 tier

If you need to play this do it next year when it’s $20

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
map system is bad? i think this has one of the most detailed maps i've seen in a game. it very clearly shows what you can and can't get through yet while showing specifics on what the rooms looks like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
map system is bad? i think this has one of the most detailed maps i've seen in a game. it very clearly shows what you can and can't get through yet while showing specifics on what the rooms looks like
Well to be fair I suppose the map system works but I’m so sick and tired of looking at it every five seconds to navigate.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
When I first popped the map open I immediately thought, "Such a detailed map system must mean there's a ton of backtracking and nonsense in the game".

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The game was fun, but yeah expected it to be a little more open ended than it ended up being. Had a good time though, you definitely have to play it on the harder difficulties for anything to be remotely challenging. Map exploration was pretty duh-huh; had some decent non-story-path spots to explore, but it just all feels kinda pointless and meh when all you know you're going to find is either a lightsaber part, paint job, or other cosmetic item.

Ending was dope though, definitely portrayed the fear you'd expect in that given scenario. I wanted to shamelessly get my ass kicked more but, alas. Too bad there won't be any DLC or anything. I definitely want to play it more but it's pretty easy to 100% this game in under 24 hours of played time.

Mao

Trakanon Raider
The game was fun, but yeah expected it to be a little more open ended than it ended up being. Had a good time though, you definitely have to play it on the harder difficulties for anything to be remotely challenging. Map exploration was pretty duh-huh; had some decent non-story-path spots to explore, but it just all feels kinda pointless and meh when all you know you're going to find is either a lightsaber part, paint job, or other cosmetic item.

Ending was dope though, definitely portrayed the fear you'd expect in that given scenario. I wanted to shamelessly get my ass kicked more but, alas. Too bad there won't be any DLC or anything. I definitely want to play it more but it's pretty easy to 100% this game in under 24 hours of played time.
Did you play it on PC or console?