Jedi Fallen Order (By Respawn Entertainment)

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So I started this last night, did Bogano and the first trip to Zeffo, explore pretty much all I could with the powers I had at this point.

The story is serviceable so far, nothing great but it's ok.

I love the platforming, exploration and zone design so far. Lots of fun exploring and trying to find stuff. I love that the map gives percentage explored, how many chest you found etc...that's cool for completionist.

As far as the combat goes, I suck at these games so I started on the normal difficulty(Jedi Knight), and it's pretty good for me for all the regular stuff. I fought the big frog guy on Bogano and he kicked my ass repeatedly, I simply do not have the reflex for this, even at this difficulty, so I switched to Story Mode for it and it was a joke. I put the difficulty back to Jedi Knight after. I'm going to play most of the game at Jedi Knight, and try the bosses a few times before most likely switching to Story Mode for them.

Difficulty aside the combat is fun , it feels pretty satisfying to reflect blaster shot, and pull some of the other moves. It feels very Jedi-like.

Looking forward to more.

spronk

FPS noob
the combat is a bit wonky imo, with a controller you use the same button to parry and block but parry only occurs in that short window when an enemy starts an attack and if you hold down the button it always blocks and you have no chance of parry. some attacks can't be parried, the red glow ones of course but I think some others too.

If you parry correctly you can do some cool counters, but blocking won't trigger that. I never really got very good at it tbh, most fights just involved me attacking twice and rolling away like a retard, rinse and repeat. The few times I thought I parried perfectly my guy always got hit so it was frustrating trying to understand what I wasn't "getting".

tenor.gif

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
What are people playing this game on? PC or console? Trying to decide which to get. =(

spronk

FPS noob
I completed the game on xbox one X and zero problems, one or two spots FPS lag but no crashes or game breaking bugs or anything.

If you can and want to play on PC I'd highly recommend just getting Origin Access Super Deluxe Premium or whatever bullshit title is the $15/mo thing, that gives you deluxe edition of the game and 30 days. You can finish it in 20-30 hours (100% the game in 30 hours) and then play some battlefield, need for speed heat, sports games, etc and unsub from EA Access until next Dec.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I started this last night, did Bogano and the first trip to Zeffo, explore pretty much all I could with the powers I had at this point.

The story is serviceable so far, nothing great but it's ok.

I love the platforming, exploration and zone design so far. Lots of fun exploring and trying to find stuff. I love that the map gives percentage explored, how many chest you found etc...that's cool for completionist.

As far as the combat goes, I suck at these games so I started on the normal difficulty(Jedi Knight), and it's pretty good for me for all the regular stuff. I fought the big frog guy on Bogano and he kicked my ass repeatedly, I simply do not have the reflex for this, even at this difficulty, so I switched to Story Mode for it and it was a joke. I put the difficulty back to Jedi Knight after. I'm going to play most of the game at Jedi Knight, and try the bosses a few times before most likely switching to Story Mode for them.

Difficulty aside the combat is fun , it feels pretty satisfying to reflect blaster shot, and pull some of the other moves. It feels very Jedi-like.

Looking forward to more.
Also remember that a lot of this stuff is kinda designed that you come back to previous worlds later on and by that time you will have a lot more powers/options so things that were hard should become much more manageable over time.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You get a pink poncho for beating Oggdo Bodgo, and every other "return later with a new power" that has a chest in it is pretty much equally useless. Only the large blue clouds that give max hp/force are ever worth bothering with. Lightsaber colors are given out all at once and are unmissable, and that's basically the only cosmetic thing visible enough to care about. Ponchos are all stupid looking, I just run around with the suit anyway; and the hundred or so lightsaber parts are almost always out of sight or in motion.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Played a little bit last night, just enough to start to explore the first swamp zone.

Man do I want to like this game. I think I would love it if:
  • I never played the Jedi Knight games and didn't know how fun a fast movement, freeform jedi game could be
  • I didn't play twenty other slow-movement, action->reaction games like Dark Souls, Witcher3, Batman, Assassin's Creed etc that the combat in this game is a poor man's version of

It's so similar to jedi knight I just want to start running, gunning, throwing my lightsaber and jump slashing around like a tazmanian devil with a light saber. Instead I'm like, slowly climbing through shit and parry/dodging like so many other games I've played. Running up to the first swamp creatures and getting that tired old feeling of, 'Ok, let's just play defensive, memorize their moves and then when they start their long drawn out move I'll just hit the right button' made me just quit the game and look for something else to do.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I put about 5 hours in yesterday and feel the same way as Tuco. The other thing that confuses me is he sheer size of the first planet Zeffo or whatever. Presumably I was finished with it once the altar room was all solved and got my bearings for the next planet. Then I go exploring around and unlock this big Imperial Base and Ice Fortress thing that doubles the initial map size, but there is zero story or plot reason to go there? It would have just been skipped if not for exploration? Maybe it makes sense later, but up front it was strange.

Also, performance on my Spider-Man Pro has been pretty poor. Tons of pop ins, long load times, FPS drops, had enemies stuck in terrain and when you touch them they go flying 10k feet in the air. I clip though terrain, some enemies don’t load until I’m running through the area. Just a lot of wonky stuff.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah I put about 5 hours in yesterday and feel the same way as Tuco. The other thing that confuses me is he sheer size of the first planet Zeffo or whatever. Presumably I was finished with it once the altar room was all solved and got my bearings for the next planet. Then I go exploring around and unlock this big Imperial Base and Ice Fortress thing that doubles the initial map size, but there is zero story or plot reason to go there? It would have just been skipped if not for exploration? Maybe it makes sense later, but up front it was strange.

Also, performance on my Spider-Man Pro has been pretty poor. Tons of pop ins, long load times, FPS drops, had enemies stuck in terrain and when you touch them they go flying 10k feet in the air. I clip though terrain, some enemies don’t load until I’m running through the area. Just a lot of wonky stuff.
you end up going back to planets a few times. there's a story reason for all that stuff in zeffo

• 1Like

Terial

Trakanon Raider
this is pretty spot on, he goes into where to get a few thigns, but just ignore that... basically the game is a mix of many From Software game styles with Uncharted exploring and you should play it like Sekiro - parry parry parry.
I am enjoying the game, exploring every nook and cranny, getting many upgrades to everything. I can't stress exploring enough, finding upgrade tables is worth it.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Combat got really fun about half way through and that's also when the story picks up. This is the first game I've actually beaten in a while. Running and blocking blaster shots then force pushing them off the ledge is very satisfying but you just have to spend some time getting to that point.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Finished it tonight.

The gameplay is not something I can talk about very much. At least not on the level of most of you. I had to play on a lower difficulty setting because I just can't hang with these types of games. Overall the fights were fun but the loot was boring.

As far as the story, I have to go against the grain a bit and say that I liked the main NPC bug-eyed gal. She was acted and written well. I get that most of the characters in this game were female, but by no means was any of it shoved in your face. It wasn't ham-fisted SJW bullshit.

The Witch Lady near the end who casts spells by summoning her 'sisters' isn't SJW, it's just classic Witch stuff. The main bad guy being a woman is also fine because it is never about her being a woman. Both the Bug Eyed lady and her apprentice are women, yes, but that isn't central to their characters. Either of them could have been men, with practically the exact same dialogue, and it still would have worked.

The worst actor was actually the main character. He was fine for most of the main plot stuff, but his side-quest dialogue was mailed in and you could tell he was hung over in the studio for those lines.

The comic relief 4-armed guy was okay. He wasn't really funny, but he also wasn't really cringey. Just sort of so-so.

The main plot was okay. There exists a thing like in X-Men that can find all of the mutant children. We fight over it for the whole game. We finally get it... and then we destroy it. I can dig it. I kind of like it even.

My only gripe is how OP Vader was. I know it was nothing more than a cameo but he was a little ridiculous. The guy presented in this game would have decapitated Luke with his eyes closed and one hand tied behind his back. In any case, overall I liked the game and I was glad to see that Kathleen Kennedy had nothing to do with it.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Finished it tonight.

The gameplay is not something I can talk about very much. At least not on the level of most of you. I had to play on a lower difficulty setting because I just can't hang with these types of games. Overall the fights were fun but the loot was boring.

As far as the story, I have to go against the grain a bit and say that I liked the main NPC bug-eyed gal. She was acted and written well. I get that most of the characters in this game were female, but by no means was any of it shoved in your face. It wasn't ham-fisted SJW bullshit.

The Witch Lady near the end who casts spells by summoning her 'sisters' isn't SJW, it's just classic Witch stuff. The main bad guy being a woman is also fine because it is never about her being a woman. Both the Bug Eyed lady and her apprentice are women, yes, but that isn't central to their characters. Either of them could have been men, with practically the exact same dialogue, and it still would have worked.

The worst actor was actually the main character. He was fine for most of the main plot stuff, but his side-quest dialogue was mailed in and you could tell he was hung over in the studio for those lines.

The comic relief 4-armed guy was okay. He wasn't really funny, but he also wasn't really cringey. Just sort of so-so.

The main plot was okay. There exists a thing like in X-Men that can find all of the mutant children. We fight over it for the whole game. We finally get it... and then we destroy it. I can dig it. I kind of like it even.

My only gripe is how OP Vader was. I know it was nothing more than a cameo but he was a little ridiculous. The guy presented in this game would have decapitated Luke with his eyes closed and one hand tied behind his back. In any case, overall I liked the game and I was glad to see that Kathleen Kennedy had nothing to do with it.
Well Vader was Luke's father and I would think he at least respected him enough as a Jedi to have a lightsaber duel and not just force choke him to death or something.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The way they
handled Vader showing up was really well done. He felt legitimately fucking terrifying, and gave a hint at what the people terrified of him in the movies would be experiencing
It added a full rank point for me

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
yeah remember
This is second-tier prime vader. Prime vader is before Obi Wan chops his arms and legs off, thats when his midichlorians are at the highest level and science just tells us he is most powerful then. Then he loses some blood so obviously his midi count is lower now, but with some resistance training and good eating and helmet vaping he can reach a pretty decent level. Thats Rogue One and Fallen Order Vader, he is still the most badass Sith in the galaxy and also knows now to always have the high ground.

By the time A New Hope and Luke rolls around, Vader is 15 years older, he's probably been eating at the Death Star McDonalds every day while supervising construction so his midis are low and his cholesterol is high, he has to pee all the time but fortunately his suit takes care of that, and he moves slower and has to stop and rest a lot more.

Getting old sucks, even for a Sith

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users