JL: The Flashpoint Paradox.

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Art bitches aside, this was my favorite DC animated movie since Doom? The last couple have been pretty MEH imho but I love what they are doing so I continue to support except for the upcoming JLA New 52 origin movie. Fuck.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Has this whole new 52 thing not been well received? I honestly haven't followed comics in quite a few years. I think I stopped around Infinite Crisis.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Pre-ordered the movie from Amazon to get release day delivery. I've been watching more and more of these DC movies on Prime and if it's as good as all the reviews are saying, I don't have a problem paying for it. Now the hard part is waiting.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
At first I found superman and aquamans heads to be messed up but quickly for got about that once I saw batman whip out his gat. After watching this I got interested in the new 52 and found a comic torrent on TPB that has issues 1-7 of all the new 52 titles. Now I just need to get them to my horrible blackberry tablet ( was free) becouse reading comic books on
My pc is not doing it for me.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Movie was good, then again I knew this going in to it because the comics were amazing. But jesus christ the artist sucks at anatomy. Aquaman and OG Superman had waaayyyy too huge chests.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Probably because the story was enthralling?
It was, but I was still distracted by the bad animaton. Not the art(aside from Supes/Aquaman being mutants), the animation. How they moved. Their mouths most of all, but even during fights it was just lazy and herky jerky and just completely unnatural looking.

So looking at the posted list I've missed a lot of DC stuff. Seen Red Hood, First Flight, Two Earths, Gotham Knights, and Superman vs. The Elite. Which others should I go out of my way to see?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Ooo! If you haven't seen Mask of the Phantasm than you need to watch that. That is some good damn stuff right there.

dechire

Has this whole new 52 thing not been well received? I honestly haven't followed comics in quite a few years. I think I stopped around Infinite Crisis.
I don't mind most of the new 52 some is good some is bad et cetera. I dont know why there was a big hubub really DC once destroyed worlds with Crisis just to realign in the 80s. The JLA book by Geoff and Jim Lee is not very good nor is it consistent with any of the characters in their own books. Thats really the root of my anguish well that and another "origin" story. I'm super tired of origin stories now.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty sure a lot of the complaints are in part BECAUSE they seem to be in the middle of "rebooting" the universe constantly. Plus some of the decisions to make things more "edgy"...

QzT5dXS.jpg

dechire

Pretty sure a lot of the complaints are in part BECAUSE they seem to be in the middle of "rebooting" the universe constantly. Plus some of the decisions to make things more "edgy"...
Sure but Marvel has done about the same number of reboots in the last 13 years too but since Marvel is currently riding a wave of good talent and writers (though that may be ending?) no one said shit. DC has issues and far more of them then Marvel but bitching about their "reboot" feels disingenuous at best. /shrug

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I dunno, I think the only Marvel/DC thing I've read in the last year or three was the Injustice comics. Just going by the complaints I see on various sites. Both are definitely guilty of the constant HUGE WORLD CHANGING EVENT bullshit to sell comics. Someone like Caliane would have to go in to more detail.

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
Yeah I dunno, I think the only Marvel/DC thing I've read in the last year or three was the Injustice comics. Just going by the complaints I see on various sites. Both are definitely guilty of the constant HUGE WORLD CHANGING EVENT bullshit to sell comics. Someone like Caliane would have to go in to more detail.
If you're sick of "events" check out some of the new 52 lines like Batwoman. They skirt the edge of the mainstream but the art and plot is really pushing new boundaries.

dechire

I don't really have a problem with these "events" but then I've been reading comics for at least 30 years now so they are nothing new. Its the commentary that bothers me from the new readers or Marvel/DC fanboys calling out the other for shit their own companies do that annoys me. My beef with the current JLA book (fantastic team on the book, mediocre results)is that its just bad and I am disappointed that the next movie is going to be that vs something like Killing Joke or Blackest Night or a host of other stories they could tell.

Caliane

Marvel doesn't reboot.
I dont think they have had any.

They have a sliding timeline. where events in the past happened... but on a shifting timeline.
Peter wasn't bitten by a spider in 1963 anymore, it was 1993. (or so.)
peter isn't 16, he is now 23. he has aged 10 years or so over the last 40.
Same with the Xmen for example. The Xmen are all grown up. Cyclops is 32, etc.

Now, individual characters have some retcons, and reboots. One more day for peter, removed his marriage, job, and about 8 years of age.
Magneto is like 34 again... yeah. clones..

nu52 is largely a mess. Editorial mandates. the script has been rewritten repeatedly. The whole flashpoint paradox event is no longer relevant. not even kidding. the giant event that started the nu52, has been retconned out already. oops. It was supposed to be an Age of Apocalypse type deal.

A few books are better for the nu52. SoS, Demon knights, Wonder woman, Aquaman.
some just ignored it. Batwoman, Batman Inc for example. just laughed and kept going as if nothing happened. good books.
Some are flat out worse. Booster is gone. PG is horrible. Ravagers, Teen Titans, Red Hood all terrible, and horrible characters now. Superman is no longer married to lois lane. hes banging Wonderwoman. I shit you not.
Earth 2 stuff is good. as an elseworld its more enjoyable to have new characters, or old characters acting different.

Jla is awful. WW is completely out of character with her own book. and its fucking ww+superman shipping. Trinity having sex with each other is the world plot ever.

Lots of books died early. Unless you have the word Batman in your title, you are subject to cancellation.
If you like Batman, there are 23 books you can choose from though! (Im including Batwoman, Batgirl, Catwoman, Harley quinn, Sirens, Red Hood, Suicide Squad etc..)
Overall comic sales are up I hear though.

dechire

They have a sliding timeline. where events in the past happened... but on a shifting timeline.
Peter wasn't bitten by a spider in 1963 anymore, it was 1993. (or so.)
peter isn't 16, he is now 23. he has aged 10 years or so over the last 40.
Same with the Xmen for example. The Xmen are all grown up. Cyclops is 32, etc.
Yeah but its the same effect. DC just executed it poorly.

Caliane

Yeah but its the same affect. DC just executed it poorly.
no not at all.

Everything that has happened in marvel has happened. More or less.

DC reboot. its entirely new people.
Superman is 23.
Cass Cain, Steph never existed, nevermind were robins or batgirls.
The entire history was completely rewritten.

Dr. light never raped Sue Dibney, and is in fact a good guy married to the Female Dr. Light(who was previously not related to him at all). what even the fuck they were thinking on that one, I will never know.

They SHOULD have simply retired the universe. did an marvel Ultimate universe deal.
Rebooting was stupid and messy.
its far more confusing now then it ever was before.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So in the comic version of Flashpoint, do they actually show the Joker? I would have loved to have seen more exposition about Martha Wayne becoming the Joker, if what the movie was hinting at was what actually ended up happening.

*edit*

Nevermind, wikipedia answered my question.

In the alternate universe of Flashpoint, Martha Wayne becomes the Joker after Bruce is shot by Joe Chill as a child. Unable to cope with her loss she cuts open her cheeks to create a faux smile. She is the arch-nemesis of the Batman of this universe, her husband Thomas Wayne. She is shown to be in league with the possible Harley Quinn of this timeline called Yo-Yo. She kidnaps the children of Harvey Dent and disguises his daughter as the Joker. She kills James Gordon after he wounds the daughter. Batman arrives to face her. Thomas confronts Martha about Bruce's death. He reveals that he has a way to rewrite history, they will die but Bruce will live. When Martha realizes Bruce will still become Batman, she flees in horror. She falls to her death in the caverns below Wayne Manor

Flashpoint is not a happy story, rofl