Job Hunting

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I don't know where the line between startup and not startup ends/begins.
That blurred about 6-8 years ago I think. Something about free food in the break room maybe? Who knows.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I got a bunch of swag from my company when I started and it's been around for like 120 years. I actually wear the polos all the time. They're the nice nike polyester ones.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah my company is very startup-like in culture but we've been around 10 years and have around 1400 employees. I think the true defining line is pre-purchase/IPO and post. At least in the Bay Area tech world.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah but some companies stay private and don't even do IPOs... albeit they are in the minority I suppose. This company I am starting at has been around since 2008. But like I said, their product fits a very strong need and saves a great deal of time in the infrastructure/performance monitoring space. HR girl says the company is almost 1300 employees as of today.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yeah but some companies stay private and don't even do IPOs... albeit they are in the minority I suppose. This company I am starting at has been around since 2008. But like I said, their product fits a very strong need and saves a great deal of time in the infrastructure/performance monitoring space. HR girl says the company is almost 1300 employees as of today.
Nice.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
When I was at Akamai they were 10k employees and still tried to be 'like a startup'. Pingpong tables, catered food, unlimited PTO, etc.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Ping Pong tables are all over now. GM had them too. I don't play at work but its a good way to just relax a little when you are bashing your head against the wall as to why your fucking code won't work.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
GM made you pay for coffee lol. That job I quit had snacks everywhere and free fizzy water/soda/coffee. The job I start next week had a big fridge of whatever.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Ping Pong tables are all over now. GM had them too. I don't play at work but its a good way to just relax a little when you are bashing your head against the wall as to why your fucking code won't work.
Man I miss morning pong with my coworker. We'd spend the first hour of work making grinding beans, making coffee and playing ping pong

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
1400 people in 10 years?!?!

Is that a lot? I have no idea. Our company's trajectory and growth has been extremely positive. Worth more than Salesforce was at this same point in time. Hoping we go public in the next year. That could potentially be a really high payday for me.