Job Hunting

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Started interviewing for a Senior role at a tech company located in Birmingham Alabama of all places (100% remote of course). I was skeptical at first, but this role is quite ideal for me and it is planned to have this role build out a team and move into a leadership position in the backend data space. Which is exactly where I want to be.

This probably means I'll crash and burn in the interview process and get ghosted. But I am honestly pretty stoked for this one.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Started interviewing for a Senior role at a tech company located in Birmingham Alabama of all places (100% remote of course). I was skeptical at first, but this role is quite ideal for me and it is planned to have this role build out a team and move into a leadership position in the backend data space. Which is exactly where I want to be.

This probably means I'll crash and burn in the interview process and get ghosted. But I am honestly pretty stoked for this one.
Any idea what the interview process is like?

Im curious if everyone is still doing that google induced aids automated coding interview bullshit. I know the big names are. Fucking grifters made an entire industry out of it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Any idea what the interview process is like?

Im curious if everyone is still doing that google induced aids automated coding interview bullshit. I know the big names are. Fucking grifters made an entire industry out of it.
Dunno I am only on interview 3 of fuck knows.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Recent engineering grad with experience in developing energy system models.

Went through 4 rounds of interview for a company in Florida for a job that requires me to be in the office. Afterward they kinda lowballed me at 90k. I asked for 95k, they said no. In a couple of days I'm just gonna decline. Fuckers better not counter with a 95k offer after I decline. If they do I might just ask for 97k... but that might be a bad idea because maybe I'd be coming off vindictive. (It's not even real 90k offer. It's 77k offer with a 13k performance-based bonus that can vary)

Now looking to get this job in Ohio for 100k that is also remote. Just went through 2nd round... I think I did all right.

I prefer Florida but them bitches refused to pay up.

Currently studying for MySQL certification. Any other quick certifications I can get to increase the value of my resume? (DevOps and Machine Learning Engineer seems to be options in my field of interest)

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't know how helpful a MySQL cert would be. Most places just expect you to be able to write SQL. Because even if you're a Java dev you're going to need to use it too. You'd be better served to get some AWS, GCP, or Azure certs which is where DevOps tends to live.

For Machine Learning Kafka, Spark, and the like. Which don't really have certs. Just take some Linkedin Learning courses and play around with it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't know how helpful a MySQL cert would be. Most places just expect you to be able to write SQL. Because even if you're a Java dev you're going to need to use it too. You'd be better served to get some AWS, GCP, or Azure certs which is where DevOps tends to live.

For Machine Learning Kafka, Spark, and the like. Which don't really have certs. Just take some Linkedin Learning courses and play around with it.
Thanks. I've already signed up for some free Azure Fundamentals training and certs. Now I'll also look into the paid certs for machine learning and DevOps that are a step beyond.

Never heard of Kafka and Spark but I'll look into that as well.

Now if I get Azure certs would it also be helpful getting the AWS certs afterward? Maybe because different jobs work using different platforms (AWS vs Azure).

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If you learn one the others are similar enough I'd say. AWS is used the most. GCP sucks dick and I hate it. Never used Azure.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
it really depends on the company you end up at. azure and aws are both good. gcp not so much.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
it really depends on the company you end up at. azure and aws are both good. gcp not so much.
Were i work. we are aws first and foremost. followed lightly by azure, and randomly catch devs spinning up resources in gcp. tjt is right gcp sucks dong.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Recent engineering grad with experience in developing energy system models.

Went through 4 rounds of interview for a company in Florida for a job that requires me to be in the office. Afterward they kinda lowballed me at 90k. I asked for 95k, they said no. In a couple of days I'm just gonna decline. Fuckers better not counter with a 95k offer after I decline. If they do I might just ask for 97k... but that might be a bad idea because maybe I'd be coming off vindictive. (It's not even real 90k offer. It's 77k offer with a 13k performance-based bonus that can vary)

Now looking to get this job in Ohio for 100k that is also remote. Just went through 2nd round... I think I did all right.

I prefer Florida but them bitches refused to pay up.

Currently studying for MySQL certification. Any other quick certifications I can get to increase the value of my resume? (DevOps and Machine Learning Engineer seems to be options in my field of interest)
Did you just get your bachelors in EE? Depending on where you are 95k is pretty good in Florida for new grad..

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Hey TJT did you get into your field after getting the masters or before? I am fucking bored without a challenge lol.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Hey TJT did you get into your field after getting the masters or before? I am fucking bored without a challenge lol.
I worked in tech as an application performance engineer for 5 years in big corporate at General Motors, originally. I was kind of randomly assigned this job due to GM's way of employing fresh CS grads like I was at the time. I always had an interest in data-related work and got tired of how fucking boring working at big corporate actually is (everything moves so slow and the bar is real low). But it does provide mindless job security and some nice perks.

I pivoted into data engineering like 4 years ago and have been much happier. I got a master's during that time. It hasn't actually played a role in getting a job for me yet, but it certainly seems to be helping right now. My problem now is that this company is rapidly growing but I don't really see my path forward here. I am getting increased salary and bonuses and solving interesting problems. But I see new teams being created around me and people getting promoted to new positions while I am just keeping what I am doing and I dislike that.

I think it kind of changed my mind recently when they hired a director to put together a data team and I have to train this director and her entire team alone. In addition to telling her what the problems are and the solutions and actually doing the heavy lifting to solve them. I could have done that shit without you or just taken your position but it wasn't even a possibility for me. Despite making and saving the company almost $10M total and replacing all of our Salesforce contractors (with myself) in under 3 years... totally alone.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I worked in tech as an application performance engineer for 5 years in big corporate at General Motors, originally. I was kind of randomly assigned this job due to GM's way of employing fresh CS grads like I was at the time. I always had an interest in data-related work and got tired of how fucking boring working at big corporate actually is (everything moves so slow and the bar is real low). But it does provide mindless job security and some nice perks.

I pivoted into data engineering like 4 years ago and have been much happier. I got a master's during that time. It hasn't actually played a role in getting a job for me yet, but it certainly seems to be helping right now. My problem now is that this company is rapidly growing but I don't really see my path forward here. I am getting increased salary and bonuses and solving interesting problems. But I see new teams being created around me and people getting promoted to new positions while I am just keeping what I am doing and I dislike that.

I think it kind of changed my mind recently when they hired a director to put together a data team and I have to train this director and her entire team alone. In addition to telling her what the problems are and the solutions and actually doing the heavy lifting to solve them. I could have done that shit without you or just taken your position but it wasn't even a possibility for me. Despite making and saving the company almost $10M total and replacing all of our Salesforce contractors (with myself) in under 3 years... totally alone.
Any thoughts as to why they are hiring a new team instead of promoting you? Do they want someone with specific qualifications to run such a team or what? Sounds retarded.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Any thoughts as to why they are hiring a new team instead of promoting you? Do they want someone with specific qualifications to run such a team or what? Sounds retarded.
There are aspects of it that I cannot do in my engineering role. That is telling the business what processes they need to change because we can't realistically programmatically solve all of it. However, I also came up with those solutions I just did not have any pull to get the business to actually do them. The VP who hired this person is my director's boss. He said the intent of this role is to "be the glue between the business organizations in terms of data."

I can only figure that I have never really been in a management role so they think I am unable to take it up. At least at the director level, well okay sure. But there's no reason you needed a director to do this and there are a ton of people at the company that rose the ranks from engineering, accounting, CSM, and so on into management and director-level positions within just a few years. So I honestly don't really know. Overall this company has been managed really well IMO and I like my leadership and coworkers. I was the 167th hire or something and we have over 1000 now.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Did you just get your bachelors in EE? Depending on where you are 95k is pretty good in Florida for new grad..
If you get an EE in Florida just get a braindead union job at the power company making 120k a year.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
There are aspects of it that I cannot do in my engineering role. That is telling the business what processes they need to change because we can't realistically programmatically solve all of it. However, I also came up with those solutions I just did not have any pull to get the business to actually do them. The VP who hired this person is my director's boss. He said the intent of this role is to "be the glue between the business organizations in terms of data."

I can only figure that I have never really been in a management role so they think I am unable to take it up. At least at the director level, well okay sure. But there's no reason you needed a director to do this and there are a ton of people at the company that rose the ranks from engineering, accounting, CSM, and so on into management and director-level positions within just a few years. So I honestly don't really know. Overall this company has been managed really well IMO and I like my leadership and coworkers. I was the 167th hire or something and we have over 1000 now.
That’s why I was wondering about qualifications of the incoming team lead. Does she have an MBA or a PhD? Curious if the people making hiring decisions think a certain pedigree is required for that job level.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
If you get an EE in Florida just get a braindead union job at the power company making 120k a year.
Hmm yeah maybe. I don’t know anyone that went into power systems now that you mention it. Most seem to go to defense.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That’s why I was wondering about qualifications of the incoming team lead. Does she have an MBA or a PhD? Curious if the people making hiring decisions think a certain pedigree is required for that job level.
Looks like she has a master's in economics. With mine in stats, I am getting interviews on a dime, but I don't know if that's because of my experience or just having it.

• 1Like