Job Hunting

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Previous employer has made me an offer in a new role, pretty much matching what I’ve got now. I’ve been pretty unhappy with the new job, and not seeing much opportunity for improvement due to a lot of internal politics and lack of leadership.

So now just mulling over pros/cons, but probably going to accept the offer today and turn in my notice tomorrow, I’m tired of waking up around 3:00 am wondering what manner of bullshit awaits me today.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
It's kind of ironic how many people I know (including myself) who have left and come back to their jobs over the last couple of years. That's another thing that, ten years ago, didn't seem like happened all that often.

I left my job I'd been at for 6~ years last Nov. to join a high paying AI startup. I was fully remote, but spent probably a week of every month at their HQ in Austin, TX among throngs of manbuns. It was more than tolerable, but when my old boss called me up and offered the same pay to come back to a new position they created with me in mind, I couldn't put in my two weeks fast enough.

Dunno if I'm just getting old and starting to value stability & familiarity over new & cool - or what, but coming back was definitely the right decision for me.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wife got laid off. Need to find remote accounting office type jobs. Rural bumfuck Oklahoma probably isn't rife with 78k/ year jobs.
18 years experience etc, job title was accountant, but she's actually finishing her bachelor's in a few months then working on certification and masters.

Main question. Any drawbacks to taking unemployment. I recall that being an employer question back in the day at least. If we can survive any reason not to?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wife got laid off. Need to find remote accounting office type jobs. Rural bumfuck Oklahoma probably isn't rife with 78k/ year jobs.
18 years experience etc, job title was accountant, but she's actually finishing her bachelor's in a few months then working on certification and masters.

Main question. Any drawbacks to taking unemployment. I recall that being an employer question back in the day at least. If we can survive any reason not to?
Has she gotten her QuickBooks and QuickBooks advanced certifications? If so she can start grabbing bookkeeping clients and set them to QuickBooks online so it's all remote work. Bulk of my wife's clients are like this. Charge by the month based on estimated number of transactions and work each client maybe 4 or 5 hours a month. Best part is she forms her own LLC doing this and can write off shit loads of expenses and added bonus gets to work for herself.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

I've never heard of this and have never been asked that question. That actually sounds like it might not be legal.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've never heard of this and have never been asked that question. That actually sounds like it might not be legal.
I think it's not legal to Discriminate based on it (lol course they do), but this was both like 15 years ago shitty wage slave low hourly jobs in my teens and college years. You know places that have 2 page applications and no resumes to submit.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
It's kind of ironic how many people I know (including myself) who have left and come back to their jobs over the last couple of years. That's another thing that, ten years ago, didn't seem like happened all that often.

I left my job I'd been at for 6~ years last Nov. to join a high paying AI startup. I was fully remote, but spent probably a week of every month at their HQ in Austin, TX among throngs of manbuns. It was more than tolerable, but when my old boss called me up and offered the same pay to come back to a new position they created with me in mind, I couldn't put in my two weeks fast enough.

Dunno if I'm just getting old and starting to value stability & familiarity over new & cool - or what, but coming back was definitely the right decision for me.

This is huge in the sales and consulting industries because of the dumbass HR teams that don't allow inside promotions to match outside market rates. You end up leaving a company you like for one that pays well and then a year or two later one of the talent acquisition reps from your last company comes hoving on by offering you even more to come back.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This is huge in the sales and consulting industries because of the dumbass HR teams that don't allow inside promotions to match outside market rates. You end up leaving a company you like for one that pays well and then a year or two later one of the talent acquisition reps from your last company comes hoving on by offering you even more to come back.

Yep. Super common in my industry. People leave for a year or so for a gig at Oracle or Salesforce then come back with a better position and salary.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Yep. Super common in my industry. People leave for a year or so for a gig at Oracle or Salesforce then come back with a better position and salary.
It's so fucking annoying. I got two bumps still well below market while interviewing people to join team for 30 to 40k more starting. Shit is stupid.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
It's so fucking annoying. I got two bumps still well below market while interviewing people to join team for 30 to 40k more starting. Shit is stupid.

The amount of money it costs them to not just keep their people at the industry average for their title is astounding. I would probably still be at my first company if that was the case.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Pretty common imo. Just don't be like the guy at my company who verbally agreed to take our counter offer then reneged on it 12 hours later. He ended getting himself blackballed from a pretty small infosec community.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
All the insurance companies around here are looking for people to do sales (I'm sure they always are). Purely commission work, but they also give stock based on sales, and if people keep the plans you get residuals for years to come.

Anyone have any experience with this, thoughts and opinions?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It exists in every industry.

The underlying reasoning is this.
  1. Finance and by extension HR is always looking to keep Compensation Spend as low as possible. Leading to various levels of friction to prevent even the very best employees from getting massive raises to retain them and pay them what they are worth short of extreme situations.
  2. If you, as a hiring manager, are able to successfully argue with leadership for additional headcount for whatever reason. You are given much more leeway on how you are able to fill those additional seats. Leading to the very common situation of your rockstars getting 5% raises while some asshole off the street comes in at $40k+ more than your 6 year veteran rockstar.
It's absolutely terrible for the organization as a whole but it makes sense when looking at the two use cases individually.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
It exists in every industry.

The underlying reasoning is this.
  1. Finance and by extension HR is always looking to keep Compensation Spend as low as possible. Leading to various levels of friction to prevent even the very best employees from getting massive raises to retain them and pay them what they are worth short of extreme situations.
  2. If you, as a hiring manager, are able to successfully argue with leadership for additional headcount for whatever reason. You are given much more leeway on how you are able to fill those additional seats. Leading to the very common situation of your rockstars getting 5% raises while some asshole off the street comes in at $40k+ more than your 6 year veteran rockstar.
It's absolutely terrible for the organization as a whole but it makes sense when looking at the two use cases individually.

My issue is that every organization knows of those two use cases and still cannot even meet in some sort of middle ground, it is always to the detriment of the company.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Previous employer has made me an offer in a new role, pretty much matching what I’ve got now. I’ve been pretty unhappy with the new job, and not seeing much opportunity for improvement due to a lot of internal politics and lack of leadership.

So now just mulling over pros/cons, but probably going to accept the offer today and turn in my notice tomorrow, I’m tired of waking up around 3:00 am wondering what manner of bullshit awaits me today.
My brother did that recently. Its worked out pretty well for him back at his original company.

Got a rejection email from Microsoft today. Very odd interview with them last week. Spent almost 90 minutes talking to three different people being asked some very scripted questions about how I fit in and how well I work with others.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

A few questions: How much, percentage wise, was the new the new role over your previous one? Did your previous employer counter? Did you approach the previous employer to go back, or did they make you this offer unsolicited? Did they give you a reason why they want you back at this role?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My brother did that recently. Its worked out pretty well for him back at his original company.

Got a rejection email from Microsoft today. Very odd interview with them last week. Spent almost 90 minutes talking to three different people being asked some very scripted questions about how I fit in and how well I work with others.
Most major corps do indeed follow a scripted set of questions for "fairness" and to avoid lawsuits. The whole process is shit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

I wonder if they are sending them out to everyone; a ton of large corporations have instituted hiring freezes in the last 10 days because of the economic outlook for the rest of the year.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if they are sending them out to everyone; a ton of large corporations have instituted hiring freezes in the last 10 days because of the economic outlook for the rest of the year.
Bro havent you paid attention to what Biden's said? Best economic recovery ever.

• 1Worf