Job Hunting

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
No idea, its a little weird. Company I worked for handled student loans so Biden's moratorium extension might have had something to do with it. But thing is I just spoke to my boss last week and I supposedly had gotten a appreciable raise and she said the company was picking up business besides student loans so the extension shouldnt be a big deal.

Woke up this morning with a vm from our head of HR asking to call him before I was supposed to start working. Guy just told me I and supposedly some others where being laid strictly for financial reasons, nothing to due with performance or conduct.

Sooo who knows. Maybe my boss screwed with me, maybe they failed to secure some new business.
That suxxor. Maybe Booze can get you a job with the Feds.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So I ended up speaking to HR about my final check, wanted to know if my vacation and final hours where going to be paid out at what my boss told me my new rate was.

"Oh theres no paperwork in the system for a rate change for you"

1650459233040.png

Pretty wild my former boss would mislead me about such a thing. Wasnt like it was some random email, talked to her on the phone for 15-20 minutes about it.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So I ended up speaking to HR about my final check, wanted to know if my vacation and final hours where going to be paid out at what my boss told me my new rate was.

View attachment 408775

Pretty wild my former boss would mislead me about such a thing. Wasnt like it was some random email, talked to her on the phone for 15-20 minutes about it.
Were you doing something that needed finished? If so it could have been a lie to keep you working on a project instead of the truth you were gonna get surpluses and say "fuck it, you finish this".

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 408775

Get it in writing 100% of the time.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Were you doing something that needed finished? If so it could have been a lie to keep you working on a project instead of the truth you were gonna get surpluses and say "fuck it, you finish this".
No there was nothing in particular going on at the time.
Get it in writing 100% of the time.
Yeah that's the thing. So when I talked to my boss on the 7th she said my new rate would go into effect the 11th and if I don't see any change in our hr system or an email from payroll by then to follow up with her. Well come the 12th(last Tuesday) it still hasn't changed, so I send her an email saying hey it still hasn't changed.

Never heard back from her. Definitely my fault not being on her ass about it and it's a learning experiencing but I never had any reason to ever think she was screwing with me based on my time working there.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Your rate was changed.

It was changed to zero. Have a nice day.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Next update in my potential job change journey...

Talked to this recruiter on Zoom. He works directly for the company. About the same age as me, a lot of similar shit in the background of his office. We get along real well. By the end he's talking about the number of shares that hires are getting, the number of shares that he got, what the founders last exit was, and what the goal for the exit for this company was. If it exits at the expected amount (in 10 years) the shares are worth $2m. The last exit the CEO had was 6 years for 36% above the 10 year target.

He sends me along right to the VP of engineering, I get the guys name and look him up on linkedin. He's a fuckin' Harvard grad with like 20+ years of experience. Damn. I'm a self taught guy with an AR high school education. Outlook not good.

The interview goes fairly well. He's a little colder. Had a fancy office with actual encyclopedias and shit behind him. He's got bad male pattern baldness, clean shaven, shaved head with stubble. I have a wild head of hair and a giant wizard beard. Polar opposites. But like I said, the interview went good, I had him describe some decent details about their product, prodded for some potential trouble areas, asked some good questions, ended on a good note.

Then nothing. That was Tuesday. I get back from a long lunch Friday while I had my phone off, turn it back on and see a call and a VM from the recruiter that loved me. I use the text transcription, so I skim the VM and it says something like "Hey we're changing your title from senior SRE to staff devops manager to meet your salary requirements, things look good, blah blah" and I call him right back. He was like "Yeah man, I wanted to call you directly so you just didn't receive an form email with no explanation. The VP liked you but we're deciding to pass in the grand scheme of things." My reply was, "Hey, what about this voice mail? Senior to Staff? What do you mean passed?" "Oh, yeah, that. I just got back from vacation and I was going through my emails in order. I left you a second voice mail once I got to the point where the decision had been made."

Talk about a roller coaster. After we hung up about 5 minutes later the transcription for the second one was done, my phone dinged, and there was the "pass" VM.

This would have been a +29.5% bump in base pay and it was my first real interview that I took beyond the recruiter phase. I'm trying to figure out what that means - obviously I didn't get it, so that might be a little too much money, but then again who knows. Need more data.

• 1Solidarity

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
It's not about the money. Everybody thinks they have some "culture" that's worth protecting and pass people over who don't fit it to a T (cause that's what faang does). That is of course until they haven't filled any of their slots in their projected time and settle for anyone with a pulse.

I'm sure you can get that %30 bump. Things are wilin' out their for SRE/SWE right now.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Didn’t we have a CPA / Tax thread somewhere? Doing napkin and Excel math myself to try and equate my current salary + benefits to an hourly rate for self employment. I feel like I’m close but just wondered if anyone had more direct experience that would talk through PMs or anything. Got a couple of calls in to local CPAs because I’m sure I’ll need help doing quarterly taxes and expenses.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Didn’t we have a CPA / Tax thread somewhere? Doing napkin and Excel math myself to try and equate my current salary + benefits to an hourly rate for self employment. I feel like I’m close but just wondered if anyone had more direct experience that would talk through PMs or anything. Got a couple of calls in to local CPAs because I’m sure I’ll need help doing quarterly taxes and expenses.
Divide your salary by 2080 to get an effective hourly rate. You could also do the same for a dollar equivalent of your benefits.

edit: feel free to DM me.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Do that, and then increase the hourly rate by 20% for the extra taxes you'll be paying as self-employed.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Okay, yeah, that was all my napkin / excel math... well that was the napkin part, the excel part was getting more specific with actual Federal, State, FICA, Health, 401k contributions, HSA contributions, vacation, blah blah. It comes out to within a couple $/hr but wanted to get a little more direct. That'll do for now I suppose and is enough for me to at least make an offer / ballpark for what I want. Thanks all.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Okay, yeah, that was all my napkin / excel math... well that was the napkin part, the excel part was getting more specific with actual Federal, State, FICA, Health, 401k contributions, HSA contributions, vacation, blah blah. It comes out to within a couple $/hr but wanted to get a little more direct. That'll do for now I suppose and is enough for me to at least make an offer / ballpark for what I want. Thanks all.
The self employed thing is a little more complex because of all the variables involved in expensing the cost of your business. Writing off a home office, vehicle etc means you are paying less taxes even with the self employed tax. Also depending on where you live you have to calculate state taxes.

• 1Like

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Turned in my notice with my company last week. I've been there 25 years in various roles, but feel like I've been spinning my wheels for the last 10.

Finish my notice up next week and start my new job the following Monday... going to be weird going from subject matter expert in one industry to starting all over in a new one, but they thought enough of me to offer a lot more than I was making and match my vacation based on a phone interview and a tour of the plant.
Well, after eight weeks I’ve determined the grass isn’t greener on this side…

I have decided that calling this new place a shitshow is an insult to shitshows everywhere, and henceforth will call it a dumpster fire.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Well, after eight weeks I’ve determined the grass isn’t greener on this side…

I have decided that calling this new place a shitshow is an insult to shitshows everywhere, and henceforth will call it a dumpster fire.
Even a dumpster fire can keep you warm in the dead of winter. Without knowing the details I can only advise to talk with your boss regularly about what you need to focus on and just get your shit done.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Fucking glassdoor. Want to browse it but of course it not only wants you to register, but provide your employment data as well.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Fucking glassdoor. Want to browse it but of course it not only wants you to register, but provide your employment data as well.

That's how they provide their "free" data. You wanna see it you gotta bring something to the table.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
That's how they provide their "free" data. You wanna see it you gotta bring something to the table.
It used to not be like that last time I was using it.

Either way they got a bunch of bogus shit from me.