Job Hunting

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Adobe didn't get back to me yesterday so unless I hear back today I'm pretty sure I didn't get that one. That being said, I start the other new job on 25MAR. Thinking back on my 5 years at General Motors I've learned career lessons for sure. It was easy to get complacent there because the work was relatively easy and the benefits were absurd. I started at a bit below market rate for a junior developer but for the first 3 years until vesting I was getting 5%-8% raises every six months. Along with 8% 401k match, ~20% bonus every year, 20 PTO days, 11 company holidays and a December manufacturing shutdown which is just a free two weeks off from Christmas to New Years. I mean, god damn that was sweet.

Realistically I should have started looking for a new job at 3 years the moment I vested. Or more correctly 4 years when I got the yearly comp as a company employee as opposed to the New Hire thing I was in. Company politics is fucking huge at a company so monolithic as GM and you can be severely stunted just because you got assigned to the wrong manager. I always hated corporate politics and I never played the game at all because fuck that. Which did eventually hurt me.

For this next job if I don't like how the next year goes at all I will start looking immediately. I will be jumping ship at 2 years no matter what.
Ya exactly what you said heh. I learned that lesson the hard way. Bummed you haven't heard back from Adobe.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
When I tell people about how I job hopped they're so offended but truly it's the way to go early on.

Getting 6-8% raises every 6 months and a 20% bonus is kind of unheard of though. That sounds sweet.

Can't remember if I posted it here but other thread but a friend is trying to headhunt me to come back to emc. Just got an email "<team leader> wants you to apply to the following position" so now it's becoming real.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
When I tell people about how I job hopped they're so offended but truly it's the way to go early on.

Getting 6-8% raises every 6 months and a 20% bonus is kind of unheard of though. That sounds sweet.

Can't remember if I posted it here but other thread but a friend is trying to headhunt me to come back to emc. Just got an email "<team leader> wants you to apply to the following position" so now it's becoming real.

The 6-8% raise thing was only for the first 3 years. After that it was annually. The bonus was always nuts though. Minus 2019 because my shitbag manager shit in my cereal over petty garbage.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Update: Denied after two initial interviews. Usual denial emails. Recruiters still suckass, spam LinkedIn messages wanting phone calls leaving you with empty promises.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I have the final interview for a data engineer job tomorrow I am just going to because why not. Those dudes really drug their feet over this process. So going to it the day before my final day at GM and not even a week before I start my new job.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have the final interview for a data engineer job tomorrow I am just going to because why not. Those dudes really drug their feet over this process. So going to it the day before my final day at GM and not even a week before I start my new job.
Akamai dragging their feet throughout the process was a telltale sign of how the company would be. Decided never yo go through that again

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Restaurant down the street from me just posted an ad for cooks offering quite a bit more than what i'm currently making as a starting rate, but they qualify it with "appropriate experience and references" so I dunno if they'd actually give me that. Still might go talk to them and see what they say but I always get hesitant when it comes to more upscale restaurants since I didn't go to culinary school and haven't really worked at fancy-pants places much...

I'm making 12/hr atm, the ad said 16/hr starting, and a bunch of restaurants in the area are still trying to pay cooks 10-11/hr (big busy places at that). Still want to eventually get out of cooking but 16/hr is actually not a bad gig especially if there is room to go up.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Restaurant down the street from me just posted an ad for cooks offering quite a bit more than what i'm currently making as a starting rate, but they qualify it with "appropriate experience and references" so I dunno if they'd actually give me that. Still might go talk to them and see what they say but I always get hesitant when it comes to more upscale restaurants since I didn't go to culinary school and haven't really worked at fancy-pants places much...

I'm making 12/hr atm, the ad said 16/hr starting, and a bunch of restaurants in the area are still trying to pay cooks 10-11/hr (big busy places at that). Still want to eventually get out of cooking but 16/hr is actually not a bad gig especially if there is room to go up.
Do some research and go for it man.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So I ended up getting the data engineer job... and I already started the other one because those guys drag their fucking feet.

Annoying. That job would have been cool.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Completely blew a tech interview today. Pretty embarrassing. Was kind of annoying that the guy worded the question real shitty and gave me a half baked code template(no my job wasn't to bake the shit he was missing).

About to pack my shit up and go live in an Airbnb in Boston, Denver or some shit. Maybe that'll up my chances at getting an interview out of state.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah but I am actually weighing my options on walking the fuck out of this one.

Pivoting to the data field would be very beneficial to me as opposed to keep doing infrastructure/application performance engineering.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yeah but I am actually weighing my options on walking the fuck out of this one.

Pivoting to the data field would be very beneficial to me as opposed to keep doing infrastructure/application performance engineering.
Do whatever the fuck is beneficial to you. Fuck everything else man. If it's in your best career interest then do it.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Man you and me both. I was offered a short term 6 month contract to consult for a bank for like alot, but required some travel and i am a lazy shut in who has been remote for the last 5 years with no travel. So after a full month since my last interview in round 3 with the full time position i want, I took the bank consulting job just to have something while waiting, applying for other places. Literally got another email from the VP of Tech for my preffered job apologizing for the 4th time they are so sorry no official offer has been made, but it should be soon.

My advice tjt if you like the other job and shit, accept put your start date a few weeks out so you gurantee at least a pay check from this place, then ghost. fuck these places and the bullshit games right now.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Completely blew a tech interview today. Pretty embarrassing. Was kind of annoying that the guy worded the question real shitty and gave me a half baked code template(no my job wasn't to bake the shit he was missing).

About to pack my shit up and go live in an Airbnb in Boston, Denver or some shit. Maybe that'll up my chances at getting an interview out of state.
Just buy a few more horses and pateks

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of. The hiring manager who called me today to tell me he's offering is all, "I'll send it momentarily." Hours later...

At this point I'll probably get it next week or some garbage.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Speaking of. The hiring manager who called me today to tell me he's offering is all, "I'll send it momentarily." Hours later...

At this point I'll probably get it next week or some garbage.
That sucks man. What a fucking shitshow. People need to get their shit together