Job Hunting

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I'm a software engineer. I installed windows on a desktop PC....
Apparently that's what some companies qualify as "software engineers." Trying to put lipstick on IT pig jobs. Get fucked recruiters

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yep.

its-all-so-tiresome-34354344.png

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I'm a software engineer. I installed windows on a desktop PC....

That makes you a Systems Engineer. You have to install visual studio and get some copy and paste code to run in the debugger before we call you a software engineer.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Also fuck those LinkedIn 3rd party recruiters. They reach out and tell you your a perfect fit for a job and want a phone call but they refuse to tell you what the job is.. get fucked bro. I've only met one whom wasn't insufferable because she had a degree in EE and worked software way long ago so she actually had a brain. The others seem to be retarded as shit.

Its been a while since I changed jobs, but last time I dealt with recruiters on the phone my 1st question was "what is the budget for this function".

It seemed to startle some of them, I just want to know what the potential pay is so I avoid wasting both of our times.

Recruiters must be amazing people, they can judge resumes and do in-depth interviews regarding jobs they don't have a fucking clue about. I regret having actual skills, or I might have been one.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
The company I work at had issues with their HR department, so they hired some consultants and tasked them with recruiting some HR professionals and restructuring the department.

Nearly 2 years later our recruitment consultants have failed to find anyone, the first 5 (!) job postings they launched for a HR director did not result in any suitable candidates willing to take the job package. Its all shitty juniors that aren't qualified, or top level seniors that won't take the remuneration.

Fortunately I'm old enough not to take this situation seriously. Well, nearly.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Its been a while since I changed jobs, but last time I dealt with recruiters on the phone my 1st question was "what is the budget for this function".

It seemed to startle some of them, I just want to know what the potential pay is so I avoid wasting both of our times.

Recruiters must be amazing people, they can judge resumes and do in-depth interviews regarding jobs they don't have a fucking clue about. I regret having actual skills, or I might have been one.

Guess that's a Euro difference. Expected Comp is almost always one of the first questions recruiters ask you here.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The company I work at had issues with their HR department, so they hired some consultants and tasked them with recruiting some HR professionals and restructuring the department.

Nearly 2 years later our recruitment consultants have failed to find anyone, the first 5 (!) job postings they launched for a HR director did not result in any suitable candidates willing to take the job package. Its all shitty juniors that aren't qualified, or top level seniors that won't take the remuneration.

Fortunately I'm old enough not to take this situation seriously. Well, nearly.
The less HR people a company has, the better.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
My experience is kinda narrowed to DoD, but usually the recruiters for primary contractors (GD,Booz, Lockheed, etc. ) are decent. All of the shitty little subs that they have out there are the ones that really suck. Although I will say that my last go around with Booz was a circus though I blame the program management more than the recruiter.
Ugh. I loathe when we need to fill a sub (small business) position on our contract because half the time the sub will send us resumes that aren't relevant to the position. For others, they tend to not properly do an initial interview and the person has way too much experience/is too expensive or we find out the person padded their resume when they come interview with us.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
So glad I got out of DoD. Biggest clusterfuck ever from my experience.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The recruiter from Raytheon that contacted me did not fuck around I'd say time from initial contact to offer in my hand was like 3 days

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The recruiter from Raytheon that contacted me did not fuck around I'd say time from initial contact to offer in my hand was like 3 days
Similar to me but for a different company. Applied to a position on a Friday, got a call on Monday to schedule an interview Wednesday and got an offer on Friday. I think a lot of the primes and first tier suppliers are scrambling to fill positions, and they are starting to realize there aren’t enough experienced people to fill them

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Ya but fuckkkk DoD. If I wanted to sit on my ass and do jack shit working in 20 year old baselines for good pay then sure. I just can't do that shit.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Ya but fuckkkk DoD. If I wanted to sit on my ass and do jack shit working in 20 year old baselines for good pay then sure. I just can't do that shit.

How many different DoD programs did you work on? All that shit you were talking about being interested in a few pages back, I've seen many DoD programs doing that same shit. I'm not denying the stereotype can be true, but people also like to ignore the fact that there are massive amounts of programs out there that hire contractors to actually do cutting edge stuff and not just write maintenance code for cold war software.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
How many different DoD programs did you work on? All that shit you were talking about being interested in a few pages back, I've seen many DoD programs doing that same shit. I'm not denying the stereotype can be true, but people also like to ignore the fact that there are massive amounts of programs out there that hire contractors to actually do cutting edge stuff and not just write maintenance code for cold war software.
Just one and I know what you're gonna say and I know you're right - I'm making a huge generalization here. Just so I can get a better perspective, for engineers working in DoD, how often do you actually engineer code from scratch, what languages, frameworks and tools do you use?

Edit - Mainly bitter because my co-workers sucked. I had one who mischarged time for 2 years, came in whenever he wanted or didn't show up and then charged 40 hours. Would call in saying he had to get his dog shots or he had to do laundry for a camping trip and manager would just shrug it off.... When confronting my manager at the time she said "I haven't been to great with my hours either."

Finally went to legal because I was tired of reviewing his shit work and the whole ordeal was unethical. Ends up legal didn't find anything even tho the facility requires a card to clock in and out and I could view his time cards.. I imagine it wasn't worth their trouble to pursue especially since he was gay. Of course because I went to legal I was the snitch in my group of total 4 people (including fag) and because the other two were good friends with fags mom they decided to throw me under the bus in annual review.

Moral of the story: never go to legal

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Should hear back from Adobe today and I am pretty sure I want that job over the other one.

Might be time to write an unfortunate email to the other company.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Just one and I know what you're gonna say and I know you're right - I'm making a huge generalization here. Just so I can get a better perspective, for engineers working in DoD, how often do you actually engineer code from scratch, what languages, frameworks and tools do you use?
Completely depends on the program?

We have some modeling software that was developed in the 90's that is still used, so any additional capabilities we need, the performer sort of has to account for that and ensure whatever they develop works within those confines.

Whereas we just started looking into more robust modeling utilizing GPUs for computation, and the few initial projects with different performers, it's up to them to make the case for what language l, tools, architecture, etc. they use. We will move forward with the best solution that we get.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Should hear back from Adobe today and I am pretty sure I want that job over the other one.

Might be time to write an unfortunate email to the other company.
Did you apply to Adobe for software? I did. If so how long did it take for them to get back to you after your initial resume submit.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Completely depends on the program?

We have some modeling software that was developed in the 90's that is still used, so any additional capabilities we need, the performer sort of has to account for that and ensure whatever they develop works within those confines.

Whereas we just started looking into more robust modeling utilizing GPUs for computation, and the few initial projects with different performers, it's up to them to make the case for what language l, tools, architecture, etc. they use. We will move forward with the best solution that we get.
I mean ya I get that. I think my disdain for DoD is more complex than I've made it out to be (see edit in quoted post). I think I just got burned really bad. Could always go back and work at a different part of the company or switch it up to another DoD company.