John Wick: Chapter 3 (2019)

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't see the hype for this. First one was pretty good, second one was boring because you were basically watching a demi-god kill cattle for an hour and a half. No tension that your protagonist can be stopped or killed = boring action flick.

• 3WTF
  • 2EyeRoll
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 10 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't see the hype for this. First one was pretty good, second one was boring because you were basically watching a demi-god kill cattle for an hour and a half. No tension that your protagonist can be stopped or killed = boring action flick.

Completely different than every other action movie where you never know if the protagonist will be killed off in the first 15 minutes of a 2 hour movie

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
He'll probably die in #3, being that the coming TV series takes place in the past. But who knows, maybe they'll leave it open ended?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Completely different than every other action movie where you never know if the protagonist will be killed off in the first 15 minutes of a 2 hour movie

Most other action movies have a supporting cast the protagonist engages with, which can be leveraged against the protagonist by the story elements to add a sense of suspense or danger. Once they offed John's dog it's just hours of him vs. the world, and suspension of belief only goes so far before you wonder if The Empire recruited their stormtroopers directly from John Wick's universe.

• 1Barf

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Most other action movies have a supporting cast the protagonist engages with, which can be leveraged against the protagonist by the story elements to add a sense of suspense or danger. Once they offed John's dog it's just hours of him vs. the world, and suspension of belief only goes so far before you wonder if The Empire recruited their stormtroopers directly from John Wick's universe.

Did you even see the movies? First, he did have supporting cast in both movies that he engaged with. Hell, Willem Dafoe was even tied up, tortured, and killed as leverage against John Wick. Second, that's not a pre-requisite to being a good movie. And third, wtf does that have to do with suspension of disbelief? These are somehow less believable because they didn't throw a token love interest in just because that's what most movies do? Yes, John Wick cuts out a lot of BS and that's one of the reasons we love it.

You just have awful taste and your arguments are nonsensical

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Screenshotted>
Did you even see the movies? First, he did have supporting cast in both movies that he engaged with. Hell, Willem Dafoe was even tied up, tortured, and killed as leverage against John Wick. *snip*

Not that I'm agreeing with the guy you're arguing with, but did YOU see the movies? Dafoe's char was killed in typical (albeit enhanced by mourning rage) mobster revenge fashion. Viggo wanted to lash out. He wasn't leveraging anything, he just wanted to have one small win before he fled the city.

• 1Like

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Did you even see the movies? First, he did have supporting cast in both movies that he engaged with. Hell, Willem Dafoe was even tied up, tortured, and killed as leverage against John Wick. Second, that's not a pre-requisite to being a good movie. And third, wtf does that have to do with suspension of disbelief? These are somehow less believable because they didn't throw a token love interest in just because that's what most movies do? Yes, John Wick cuts out a lot of BS and that's one of the reasons we love it.

You just have awful taste and your arguments are nonsensical
It's somehow less believable because <insert 300+ extras with guns> can't seem to kill one man. Arnold hanging off a jet fighter in True Lies also includes the suspension of belief - but you at least feel like he MIGHT be in some sense of danger. Is it incredible and far fetched? Yes - does it add suspense? Yes.
John Wick gun-fuing through waves of bad guys who can't hit the Red Spot of Jupiter is also incredible and far fetched, but unlike True Lies you never get the sense he is ever in any danger. There is no suspense. He's literally a Terminator, and after the 50th or maybe 60th random_bad_guy_with_a_gun he murders with the ease of cracking open an egg you just get bored... or at least I did.

You don't have to argue with my opinion on the matter like you are a Muslim and I just insulted the Prophet Muhammad either. Calm your tits.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
when was the last time you watched an action flick and the main character had any kind of lasting damage done to him?

Jait

Molten Core Raider
when was the last time you watched an action flick and the main character had any kind of lasting damage done to him?

Braveheart. Saving private Ryan. Lord of the Rings. Every Shakespeare. The Departed. Seven Pounds. Pans labrynth. I could do this all day. John Wick however is Max Payne the movie done right. I have no issues with it.

j00t

I think this guy thinks that any movie with an action scene is an action movie

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It's somehow less believable because <insert 300+ extras with guns> can't seem to kill one man. Arnold hanging off a jet fighter in True Lies also includes the suspension of belief - but you at least feel like he MIGHT be in some sense of danger. Is it incredible and far fetched? Yes - does it add suspense? Yes.
John Wick gun-fuing through waves of bad guys who can't hit the Red Spot of Jupiter is also incredible and far fetched, but unlike True Lies you never get the sense he is ever in any danger. There is no suspense. He's literally a Terminator, and after the 50th or maybe 60th random_bad_guy_with_a_gun he murders with the ease of cracking open an egg you just get bored... or at least I did.

You don't have to argue with my opinion on the matter like you are a Muslim and I just insulted the Prophet Muhammad either. Calm your tits.

If someone says John Wick is bad because it's not as believable as True Lies, then yes I will make fun of them. You actually thought Arnold might die in a comedy?

Are you a real person?

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Is enough for me that Ian McShane is credited, even if JW2 left a little to be desired (thought the suit bullet armor/longer beats at the concert/laurence fishburne weren't so great). Would love to see the shit set up in the first movie come full circle.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Guyses, I saw the coolest action movie this weekend. Good Will Hunting. Holy shit.

• 1Like

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
If someone says John Wick is bad because it's not as believable as True Lies, then yes I will make fun of them. You actually thought Arnold might die in a comedy?

Are you a real person?
A comedy? I feel like you're just trolling at this point however, as a protagonist doesn't have to die in a movie (Terminator, End of Days) for it to be believable that they can possibly be harmed. It's okay though, you love John Wick, moving on...

• 1WTF

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
A comedy? I feel like you're just trolling at this point however, as a protagonist doesn't have to die in a movie (Terminator, End of Days) for it to be believable that they can possibly be harmed. It's okay though, you love John Wick, moving on...

Are you for real man? 99.99% of action movies end up with the hero either unscathed or only damaged enough to make it look like the fight was somewhat even. In every single sequel there is no sign of permanent damage. One of the reasons John Wick movies are so great is that he is unapologetically badass about taking people out. He gets fucked up a bit, like every other action hero, but ends up with no lasting damage. I can't imagine how you are seriously making this argument when it is the standard operating procedure of the overwhelming majority of action movies in the last 50 years. If you don't like the movies then fine, whatever, everyone has different tastes, but arguing that they are less realistic because he is in less danger than other action heroes is pretty asinine.

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Sorry, I guess I just expect more from my action movies, or maybe I like bad guys that aren't just there to showcase how awesome the protagonist is. If that's your thing - then fine, John Wick does that in spades, I just find it boring. How many times can he shoot nameless bad guys with aim so bad you wonder how they passed their eye exams for their drivers licenses? The style works for some movies (Kill Bill comes to mind) as a superior swordsman can cut down lesser enemies, even in overwhelming odds - and it can be believable. Even with that example however, there are fights where you fear for the main character's life (fighting the various "mini-bosses" in Kill Bill). This is absent in John Wick - he murders everyone in equally flashy and effortless fashion, all the way up to the final bad guy.
Again, if that's your cup of tea, then this movie has it in spades. It is not my definition of a good action flick. You claiming 99% of action movies end with the main hero unscathed is baseless. Main hero(es) can die (Braveheart, Fearless, Aliens, Saving Private Ryan, V for Vendetta, Resevoir Dogs) or not return for sequels (Predator series, Pacific Rim, Independence Day 2, One of the 20 Fast and Furious movies) just to name a few.

• 1Seriously?

j00t

main characters don't die in action films. supporting characters do. braveheart is not an action film. saving private ryan is not an action film. Ripley had no harm come to her in Aliens. V is not the protagonist of v for vendetta. reservoir dogs is not an action flick. arnold had no damage done to him in predator (even going so far as to getting shot in the shoulder with the plasma caster and having no visible damage), danny glover had no lasting damage done to him in predator 2, charlie hunnam survived pacific rim unscathed, i don't remember anything from id42, everyone is invincible in fast and the furious.

what in God's name are you on about?

• 1Like