John Wick: Chapter Two (2017)

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Disagree. When he sat down with the guy in the museum to discuss the details of his target, Wick expressed that he wanted to kill him. Before the double cross.
He was mad but he wasn't revenge mode mad and he said that. When it turned into the dude trying to clean up the mess and sweep under the rug then he went into full revenge mode.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
He was mad but he wasn't revenge mode mad and he said that. When it turned into the dude trying to clean up the mess and sweep under the rug then he went into full revenge mode.

Still not a strong enough case to turn Hotel Assassin against him IMO

The puppy and car revenge was so much more bitter in comparison.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Still not a strong enough case to turn Hotel Assassin against him IMO

The puppy and car revenge was so much more bitter in comparison.
Yeah I agree a better revenge but I think this one was still important.

Remember not only did he want to be retired but he knew this woman and it sounded like they knew each other quite well. He really really didn't want to do it and then to top it off the guy couldn't even leave him alone when it was done? Homeboy just had enough at that point.

Szlia

Unlike Adebisi I would posit that this sequel is better in just about every way. Much to my surprise, the whole 'secret society of assassins' stuff that I found to be very lame in the first movie managed to be not only entertaining but a decent engine for the plot and some of its twists. In addition to that, the fight choreographies that were ok in the first movie are now about the best and most inventive in the business (I would have wished for a better use of space and environments, but heh they are not shooting for Jackie Chan here). As a third layer, the brain gets occupied by things like the references (Enter The Dragon), the tutelary figure of Buster Keaton (double edged sword there, as Keaton's work was more than just about the physical performance - see: The Cameraman) or a main character that speaks all the languages of the universes while being incarnated by an actor who can't deliver a line to save his life!

It must be said though that some plot elements just don't work (Fishburn's character's big help: a gun and a totally obvious location...) and some ideas do not deliver (the fountain, the Johnnie To-esque walk and shoot scene in the subway, the seven bullets)...

• 2Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So apparently Samuel L Jackson is a massive John Wick fan
He actually was less interested in that than he was in an idea he floated with me, and he’s floated it with me twice now. He wants to do, over a Nick Fury movie, John Wick 3 with Laurence Fishburne and Keanu Reeves. He absolutely loves the John Wick movies. He wants in. He doesn’t want in, he wants in with a capital IN. Seriously, I think he will do whatever he needs to do to get in on John Wick 3.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
So apparently Samuel L Jackson is a massive John Wick fan

The problem with having Sam Jackson in your movie is novelty now. He does anything that comes his way, it's not like a special thing to have him in a movie.

spronk

FPS noob
Pulp Fiction crossover - 20 years later, Jules from pulp fiction is a shaolin monk meditating in China when an old friend of his stumbles in, all beat up and needing help...

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
web-DL's are usually sourced from iTunes, the 720p encode is usually the best download option for TV shows and movies. Just look at the sizes, while 1080p is DOUBLE the pixels of a 720p the web-dl will be 25-40% larger only. Apple has encoded 1080p at only 25% higher than 720p instead of a full 100% as it should be, so image quality loss is higher. The exception is animations where the slightly higher encode rate is good enough.

For WebRips (which are stream rips with variable rate quality, web-DLs are fixed) from amazon/netflix usually, 1080p is better than 720p and 2160p (4k) is the best.
For blu ray encodes of course 1080p and 2160p are the best.
For web-DL's 720p is optimal unless its an animation.

Downloading 4k stuff is always fun, recently grabbed Planet Earth II (101 gigs) and each episode of something like Better Call Saul is 21 gigs. You can't even get 4k versions of some TV shows from us sources, only from foreign Amazon streaming.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Really enjoyed this. Hope part 3 includes more creative pencil dispensing.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Watched this earlier (on Amazon, no less) and while it was good, and I loved the individual scenes, I thought the overall movie definitely suffered from sequel-itis. The first movie premise was simple, the characters motivations were clear, the action was realistic, amazing and followable. Because you understood them, you also cared about the characters getting what they wanted or deserved, which by the end, they do.

Everything is this movie is amped up to 11: Even the gd suit is bulletproof. A number of other posters mentioned it upthread but by the 5th battle with faceless mooks, I was restless; not bored, but come on.

Early on, I knew it was going to be rough sledding narratively when
John Wick essentially made the lady Camorra kill herself. I wasn't sure he was there to kill her, which he could have done without speaking to her, then shoots her just to make a point? That scene was all over the place.
Then the middle never seem to stop, except to beat the sh*t out of JW past the point of realism. Then the end unearnedly blew out the rules with an obvious hook towards the next movie.

Keanu did a good job with his physical work; all of that three-gun and judo/jiu-jitsu paid off. I thought Common did a great job, and thankfully Ruby Rose was better than I thought she would be.

The movie looks great, though. The museum sequences are amazing. Its just seems to me much more of an excuse to have way more action sequences than the first, and how can we top what we did last time was far more of a focus.

Morpheus was a disappointment, though, and there were too many threads just for threads' sake. It was neat in the first movie but there is a fine line between World Building and bullshitting the audience. Others have said it but ffs stop explaining things! The Pencil thing in The Dark Knight was shocking, and then to allude to something similar in John Wick is cool. Then to show us him doing something like that is ok, except for now that amazing thing that exists in our minds is forever defined by the rush job he just did on two Asian dudes running through NY tunnels. It was amazing to see Vader at the end of Rogue One do some epic Sith Dark Side Force Saber stuff: If you saw him do it for 25 min running through the Rebel Flagship on his way to kill Admiral Ackbar, it wouldn't be the same level of awesome.

First John Wick was 8/10 movie 9.5/10 action, and this was 6.5/10 movie 8.5/10 action because more isn't always better and a movie isn't always the sum of its parts.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Watched this earlier (on Amazon, no less) and while it was good, and I loved the individual scenes, I thought the overall movie definitely suffered from sequel-itis. The first movie premise was simple, the characters motivations were clear, the action was realistic, amazing and followable. Because you understood them, you also cared about the characters getting what they wanted or deserved, which by the end, they do.

Everything is this movie is amped up to 11: Even the gd suit is bulletproof. A number of other posters mentioned it upthread but by the 5th battle with faceless mooks, I was restless; not bored, but come on.

Early on, I knew it was going to be rough sledding narratively when
John Wick essentially made the lady Camorra kill herself. I wasn't sure he was there to kill her, which he could have done without speaking to her, then shoots her just to make a point? That scene was all over the place.
Then the middle never seem to stop, except to beat the sh*t out of JW past the point of realism. Then the end unearnedly blew out the rules with an obvious hook towards the next movie.

Keanu did a good job with his physical work; all of that three-gun and judo/jiu-jitsu paid off. I thought Common did a great job, and thankfully Ruby Rose was better than I thought she would be.

The movie looks great, though. The museum sequences are amazing. Its just seems to me much more of an excuse to have way more action sequences than the first, and how can we top what we did last time was far more of a focus.

Morpheus was a disappointment, though, and there were too many threads just for threads' sake. It was neat in the first movie but there is a fine line between World Building and bullshitting the audience. Others have said it but ffs stop explaining things! The Pencil thing in The Dark Knight was shocking, and then to allude to something similar in John Wick is cool. Then to show us him doing something like that is ok, except for now that amazing thing that exists in our minds is forever defined by the rush job he just did on two Asian dudes running through NY tunnels. It was amazing to see Vader at the end of Rogue One do some epic Sith Dark Side Force Saber stuff: If you saw him do it for 25 min running through the Rebel Flagship on his way to kill Admiral Ackbar, it wouldn't be the same level of awesome.

First John Wick was 8/10 movie 9.5/10 action, and this was 6.5/10 movie 8.5/10 action because more isn't always better and a movie isn't always the sum of its parts.

I don't think you payed attention to that scene very well.

She knew he was there to kill her and she did it herself saying something to the effect of "I've done it my way my entire life, I'm going to die how I choose as well."

Last edited: