John Wick: Chapter Two (2017)

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I don't think you payed attention to that scene very well.

She knew he was there to kill her and she did it herself saying something to the effect of "I've done it my way my entire life, I'm going to die how I choose as well."

Note: Not going to do spoiler tags anymore, since it is out on video.

I understood what was said, who she was, etc. but the scene played out very differently than what we know about John Wick from the first movie. We all know he is a master assassin, heartless at times and a virtuoso of death, esq. That's not most of what we have seen of him on screen though. I guess that conversation and outcome (and the one immediately preceding it with Mr. Akomi) was how the screenwriters attempted to have John Wick remain sympathetic and kill a woman who hadn't wronged him.
When I previously alluded to "made her kill herself, I mean, "didn't leave her any way out." He starts out talking to her; its obvious they used to be at least friends, if not more. There is a tension running through the scene that I wasn't sure how he was going to handle it or how it was going to play out. The first movie gave John Wick these skills but had him use them if not for out and out good, then for justice. I wasn't sure how far this movie was going to go in putting him back in the side of the dark even unwillingly.
I thought they might come up with a creative solution to the marker request that allowed her to live and got him off of that hook but instead this is the onscreen catalyst that drives the rest of the movie.

Last edited:

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I liked it a lot, but nowhere near as good as the first one.

The action was great, but in the first one...you feel for him, the motive for revenge are deeply personal. I felt nothing for him in this one, the reason for doing this made him somewhat unsympathetic as a character. The world building was great.

The ending though was awesome, redeems the character a bit, making him feel more like the John Wick of the first movie, and really makes me want to see the 3rd one.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
That scene was the perfect time for a piss break because everything else is non-stop after that point.

spronk

FPS noob
blu ray rips now out, keep in mind if it has a TrueHD/Atmos soundtrack it won't play with VLC 2.x and a lot of open source media players are based on VLC. MPC plays Atmos just fine.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
blu ray rips now out, keep in mind if it has a TrueHD/Atmos soundtrack it won't play with VLC 2.x and a lot of open source media players are based on VLC. MPC plays Atmos just fine.
I play everything through Kodi so it doesn't really matter (and MPC if not), but I just want to give credit for helpful posts like this. Tons of people probably don't know this (I didn't), and I appreciate you sharing the technical knowledge that you have with others. Thank you.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I don't know, think it's at the same level of the first one personally. Really fucking good.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Just got around to seeing this, great movie.

He was screwed - the first movie you kind of got the feeling that there "was" a way out... but really...there isnt

It was a good set up, waste of a nice MILF though lol.

It does make you want to instantly turn on the 3rd...where is the 3rd...need it now!

guestimate: Morphious helped because he let him live- he did that again with cassius and I think with the mute bodyguard chick...so maybe those are some of his calls for help in the 3rd.

But what is he going to do...destroy the entire infrastructure? I guess we will all have to wait and see how that will get done.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

He was screwed - the first movie you kind of got the feeling that there "was" a way out... but really...there isnt

It does make you want to instantly turn on the 3rd...where is the 3rd...need it now!

guestimate: Morphious helped because he let him live- he did that again with cassius and I think with the mute bodyguard chick...so maybe those are some of his calls for help in the 3rd.

But what is he going to do...destroy the entire infrastructure? I guess we will all have to wait and see how that will get done.
mute chick is dead, you see her dead eyes.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>

I think the director already has an idea of how to conduct the third chapter based on the leading clues and build up in the 2nd movie's end.

That excites me because the third movie is not going to be some hamfisted abomination..

I watched this thing again and I notice the small things in it that I never noticed the first time. That's surprising because this is just an action movie but at the same time not just an action movie. What a great film. The actions are still thrilling as ever which I don't normally get in hollywood fuckbuster bullshit.

I gotta give it to Keanu Reeve... man, he gave some amazing vibe that Matrix series only touched on. He is a perfect role for this. So perfect that I would just call him John Wick than Keanu Reeve.

Siliconemelons

Thinking back on this one - I do love the expansion of the "underground" but at the same time it seems too prevalent - like every street thug is now part of this super secret world...

Also the crowded scene were they are walking and taking pot shots with their silenced guns and no one noticed... I do not know how I feel about that scene.

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
Thinking back on this one - I do love the expansion of the "underground" but at the same time it seems too prevalent - like every street thug is now part of this super secret world...

Also the crowded scene were they are walking and taking pot shots with their silenced guns and no one noticed... I do not know how I feel about that scene.
Yeah i noticed that too. Only time they really reacted was the subway train...

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

I mean, I've been next to similar fountains, and yeah, they're loud, but still no where near loud enough to dampen the noise of a suppressed weapon. Which they had been more or less "realistic" about guns in these movies, except for that scene... the rave scene, yeah, I can picture the sound being plenty loud enough to mask firing off a few rounds. A fountain? Ehh, not so much.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
And no one behind them got hit while they were doing that? Yeah, that scene bugged me quite a bit.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

The fountain was kinda eh- but that was more of "do these magic bullets up and poof if they do not hit their intended target?" because it was a circular situation, surrounded by people and nowhere for the shots to go that miss, other than into someone else.

The scene I am referring was on the American side - after the long foot chase - Wick is on a bottom level, of a long walkway with a bunch of people - and the other duder was up top and they were doing shots from the hip at each other-- again even if the "guns" didnt make noticeable noise - the damn bullets hitting the walls would!

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
obviously, we are nitpicking here but actions scenes are fucking orgasmic if we can suppress these unrealistic happenstance...

I must have watched John Wick 1 about 4 times by now. And more if you count me sleeping as I watch it in the background.

Goddamn this franchise is so epic and it is all for us and not for the general public.

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
The fountain was kinda eh- but that was more of "do these magic bullets up and poof if they do not hit their intended target?" because it was a circular situation, surrounded by people and nowhere for the shots to go that miss, other than into someone else.

The scene I am referring was on the American side - after the long foot chase - Wick is on a bottom level, of a long walkway with a bunch of people - and the other duder was up top and they were doing shots from the hip at each other-- again even if the "guns" didnt make noticeable noise - the damn bullets hitting the walls would!
One thing that also bothered me was the scene where Wick just got shot by that violin assassin and as he is walking through the subway tunnels, he is just drawing blood hand prints across the WHITE FUCKING WALL. NO ONE gives a look. That was hilarious. It is almost as if people are aware of these "secret" organizations and they do jack shit just like that police man who comes to John Wick's house and asks, "Are you working again John?"

Siliconemelons

I think the police guy is from the first movie, and knows who he is. There is like a network of "normal" that know of the assassin realm and hold "normal" jobs and do all the misdirection and coverup - so wicks house fire will be a "gas leek" and not investigated further etc. Like the car repair guy, does normal car stuff and the undergrounds work - I think its funny when he got the text that JW was excomunicado! hes like "shit and now I HAVE HIS DAMN CAR"

• 1Worf

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
I think the police guy is from the first movie, and knows who he is. There is like a network of "normal" that know of the assassin realm and hold "normal" jobs and do all the misdirection and coverup - so wicks house fire will be a "gas leek" and not investigated further etc. Like the car repair guy, does normal car stuff and the undergrounds work - I think its funny when he got the text that JW was excomunicado! hes like "shit and now I HAVE HIS DAMN CAR"
he gotta fix that shit or Wick's gonna flip.