JRPGs of the X360/PS3/Wii Generation

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Good to hear, I'll definitely order it. In the process of finishing Ni No Kuni right now and I've had XIII-2 sitting unopened for months so I'll see which one I feel like starting up after I finish.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Is Xenoblade actually worth playing on the Wii? I assume its not on the 360?

Sean_sl

shitlord
It's Wii only, but you should emulate it and play it on your PC with a X360 controller. It looks alright on the PC, but it's pure eye-cancer on the Wii with crazy aliasing.

Caliane

Oh Jesus no. Like some of those Wii games are total shit that no one should ever touch. A lot of the PS3 ones are super super niche JRPG weeaboo stuff. Definitely Metacritic a title or ask specifically about one if you're not sure.

Most of the Tales games are pretty good, though this generation's been a little on the weak side besides Vesperia. Vesperia is a must play and by far my favorite JRPG of this generation. Graces F isn't bad, it's decent, though a lot of people here disliked it and it's certainly not Vesperia level. The Tales of Symphonia sequel on the Wii is alright, but again not great. Tales of Xillia, which is coming up on the PS3 later this year, looks fantastic.
Yeah, I skipped this gen mostly for consoles. But older gen Tales games were all pretty consistently upper tier. Have heard good things about Vesperia.

Think I heard good things about these two:
Xenoblade
The Last Story

This one is pretty fricking amazing. But not really a standard Jrpg. not really sure what genre I would call it.
Monster Hunter Tri

Stay way like the plague:
Dragon Quest Swords

Was not a fan of this one
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. it is more tactical then standard jrp.

Disgaea 1-4?on ps2 and 3, are "super super niche JRPG weeaboo". Requires a healthy appreciation for anime cliches, its very tongue in cheek. Also not really jrpg though. Sortof.. they are tactical rpgs, ala FF:tactics. I really like them though.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Disgaea 1-4?on ps2 and 3, are "super super niche JRPG weeaboo". Requires a healthy appreciation for anime cliches, its very tongue in cheek. Also not really jrpg though. Sortof.. they are tactical rpgs, ala FF:tactics. I really like them though.
I played a fair amount of Disgaea 2 on the PSP - it was good fun, but yeah, Disgaea is for people who look at a level 40 half dragon/half angel vampire paladin with a +275 vorpal sword in D&D as 'a decent starter character' ;p

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Disgaea is the new Pokemon of RPGs. Any game that actually expects you to get up to level 9999 (if I remember right) and then reincarnate to level 1 to get everything in the game done isspecial.

I've watched my wife play some of them for a while, and the grind reminds me of EQ, just... more of it.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
You can play it on the Wii U also, which bumps it up to 1080 and it looks much sharper. Though the textures are still low res.

If you can get it running on Dolphin on your PC that's the best version, though honestly everything else with the game is so good that I didn't notice the graphics after a few hours of playing.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Xenoblade = one of the most overrated games of all-time.
I wouldn't say that. I'd say it's alittle bitoverrated, but definitely not one of the most overrated games ever.

The combat starts out pretty dull, but gets a lot better as it goes. It has a ton of content and a fairly good and interesting story. I think the voice acting gets way more praise than it should, but it really is a solid game.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I think the word "overrated" is overused when it comes to gaming, especially in the case of JRPGs (outside of Japan, anyway). It's tough to call any game overrated when they're viewed so subjectively.

Case in point: Some people refer to the entire Final Fantasy series as overrated. I think these people are right fucking nuts.

(Also, I just noticed your location, Sean -- good game)

Sean_sl

shitlord
I think the word "overrated" is overused when it comes to gaming, especially in the case of JRPGs (outside of Japan, anyway). It's tough to call any game overrated when they're viewed so subjectively.

Case in point: Some people refer to the entire Final Fantasy series as overrated. I think these people are right fucking nuts.

(Also, I just noticed your location, Sean -- good game)
Totally agree, it's very overused.

And lol, you're probably the only other person on the board who has played that series. Can't wait for the next one in a few weeks!

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
And lol, you're probably the only other person on the board who has played that series. Can't wait for the next one in a few weeks!
The wife bought Neptunia 1 a while ago, I watched her play through it. The best parts are the puns that most people wouldn't even understand if they aren't paying attention.

I think I might play through it for the bits I didn't see, though. And we don't have Mk2 yet. Think I just figured out her late birthday present!

Sean_sl

shitlord
The wife bought Neptunia 1 a while ago, I watched her play through it. The best parts are the puns that most people wouldn't even understand if they aren't paying attention.

I think I might play through it for the bits I didn't see, though. And we don't have Mk2 yet. Think I just figured out her late birthday present!
MK2's alotbetter gameplay wise, but the lead isn't nearly as funny as Nep was in the first one sadly. It's not quite as silly over all too, which really made the first game shine. Really looking forward to Victory though since Nep is back as the lead.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think the word "overrated" is overused when it comes to gaming
I do too, but that doesn't mean there aren't applicable uses of the word. The overuse mainly comes from people using it on games which aren't really all that highly rated to begin with.

Xenoblade gets talked about like it's the second coming of JRPG Jesus, when it's just an average game at best. It owes far too much to vastly superior games like FF XII, and the MMO style questing that got thrown into the mix is tedious as hell after a while.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I didn't really think people hyped it up that much here, outside of maybe a couple die-hard Wii loyalists. I remember not liking the game at all at first due to how dull the combat started out at first, then picked it again quite a few months later and enjoyed it a lot more when I put more time into it. I don't really visit gaming sites for much other than news/trailers outside of this place though, I could see it being splooged over by Neogaf or something I guess.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I was generalizing about the internet-at-large, not just the posts here.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Xenoblade gets talked about like it's the second coming of JRPG Jesus, when it's just an average game at best. It owes far too much to vastly superior games like FF XII, and the MMO style questing that got thrown into the mix is tedious as hell after a while.
It owes that in part to the title. Xenoanything would get that treatment given the time we've waited for a spiritual successor to Xenogears/saga.

Caliane

yeah, I have not heard anyone really hyping Xenoblade.

Are you sure you aren't thinking about Xenosaga in terms of games getting hype?

Sean_sl

shitlord
yeah, I have not heard anyone really hyping Xenoblade.

Are you sure you aren't thinking about Xenosaga in terms of games getting hype?
Xenosaga wasn't really hyped either, at least not here. Xenosaga 1 was pretty good, most peopled liked it, but weren't in love with it. 2 was... bad and very disappointing. 3 was absolutely fucking fantastic and an amazing game, but 2 turned off most people from it.