JRPGs of the X360/PS3/Wii Generation

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Vesperia is criminally good. I only wish they would revert star ocean back to cell shaded or sprites.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So I greatly prefer 360, so I looked into Vesperia. I think I may be a self hating gamer. I felt myself getting judgemental about even looking at that game. I think it's the art style and my loathing of almost all anime stuff.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Xenoblade is boring and incredibly easy. The combat reminded me of eq2's hotbar spamming, and the quest hub shit is prevalent in so many games now that it gives me a fucking migraine. Oh, and a small gripe but armor looks retarded.

I actually enjoyed The Last Story more, but that game too was pretty damn bad. The actual game doesn't start until you've beaten it once which is a quality that should never exist in any game. I could literally just press forward on the classic controller and spam my way through most fights. The game is way too short too. The voice acting is good, but the characters are so incredibly uninspired that it's a godamn snooze. The music is ok. For some reason I always laughed when they said "The Outsider."

Needless

Toe Sucker
Nier is good, a lot of people are haters but its well worth playing through at least twice but there are 4 endings~

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Awesome thread, thanks Sean. It's made me realise just how many of these games have completely passed me by. I've ordered Star Ocean: The Last Hope International as it looks like a good one. It's a shame how many of them are Xbox 360 only though, my 360 died about 4 years ago and I never got round to fixing it.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've ordered Star Ocean: The Last Hope International as it looks like a good one.
The writing in that game is criminally bad, easily the worst of any JRPG I've ever played. Same goes for at least 3 of the main characters, possibly more but I've tried very hard to block out the memories of having played it.

Gorestabb

The writing in that game is criminally bad, easily the worst of any JRPG I've ever played. Same goes for at least 3 of the main characters, possibly more but I've tried very hard to block out the memories of having played it.
That goes with the genre though, good stories in JRPGs is very much the exception. The combat looks good though, and so long as you can skip the cutscenes/dialogue I'll be happy.

Vorph

That goes with the genre though, good stories in JRPGs is very much the exception. The combat looks good though, and so long as you can skip the cutscenes/dialogue I'll be happy.
You say that now, but just wait... "'kay?"
biggrin.png
The combat was decent though, I will give it that much.

When you're ready to cleanse yourself of the memory of TLH, I highly recommend picking up Resonance of Fate.

Gorestabb

You say that now, but just wait... "'kay?"
biggrin.png
The combat was decent though, I will give it that much.

When you're ready to cleanse yourself of the memory of TLH, I highly recommend picking up Resonance of Fate.
Already got it
smile.png
Good game, loved the hexagon grid system and combat, and a great example of an RPG that rewards putting the time in beyond the "storyline" game.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Oh, I don't know, I would disagree with that assessment pretty much entirely. JRPG stories are different than what we might expect because of two major factors:

1. We (mostly non-Japanese gamers) aren't the target audience, and,

2. Some of translation teams really, really suck. Some are very good. A prime example of the latter would be Hyperdimension Neptunia. Thankfully, Nippon Ichi is better than most studios at trying to make the puns work in our language, because some of them really wouldn't work if translated literally. Want a game where it really didn't work? Persona 3, or 4. I seem to remember a reasonable amount of dialogue in there that just doesn't work unless you're Japanese or know enough about Japanese culture.

So, to say that the stories aren't good? I wouldn't go that far. I'd say they aren't good for us.

Gorestabb

Perhaps I was a bit unfair saying the stories themselves aren't good, I agree with your points.

Incidentally I think Persona 3 and 4 are great examples of JRPGs with a weak, generic story, but because of the combat and mechanics they're really fun games.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah, I can agree with that. I couldn't stand Persona 3: FES long enough to finish the story. It was the same gameplay minus a few things that made it fun, with an even weaker storyline. No thanks.

Vorph

I liked P3's story a hell of a lot more than P4's. The PSP version of P3 sounded absolutely perfect to me, since they incorporated P4 combat into it. P4 had a really interesting premise that the writers did absolutely nothing with. Also I fucking hated Teddie enough that it soured the entire game for me. I even tried the undub and he was actually worse in Japanese.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Also I fucking hated Teddie enough that it soured the entire game for me. I even tried the undub and he was actually worse in Japanese.
Good god, yes. He was so fucking annoying kuma. Wait. Damnit, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? He's in my head now.

P3 killed off Shinjiro (in the original story, anyway), who was only marginally annoying with his moping emo shit. P4 should have done the same to Teddie.