JRPGs

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
It's a really great game overall(I've played the jp version), you can set AI for every character(great for grinding out the LMS's woo) but it seems the Western release is getting a bunch of stuff, enhanced inventory control, more options for "harder" versions of the game, a fucking RUN button.. 1 thing I really wanted though was the 3DS exclusive zones... being able too go back to past DQ/DW games in the original style looked like a lot of fun.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I can't wait for DQXI. The reviews it's getting really hype me up for it. The negative points people have is that it's too traditional, well sign me the fuck up.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I can't wait for DQXI. The reviews it's getting really hype me up for it. The negative points people have is that it's too traditional, well sign me the fuck up.

Preordering the PC version is 25% off at GMG for the next day and change. So tempting but I worry about a bad port.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I have heard you might want to use the new difficulty settings and make monsters harder or whatnot. You can turn it off later, but once you do you cannot turn it on again.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I've got mine pre-loaded on Steam now. I cannot wait.

The difficulty settings are:
  • No Fleeing from Battles
  • No Shopping
  • No Armour
  • No EXP from low level enemies
  • Harder Enemies
  • Shypox (Random chance of a character "doing nothing" when you give an action)
You can use any combination of these settings and turn them off at any time, however once turned off you cannot turn them back on unless you start a new game.

I'll personally be using "Harder Enemies" and "No EXP from low level enemies". I was considering putting the "no escape" rule on, but I'm absolutely certain that I'll end up wanting to get through a level relevant area and not being able to run means that you'll over-level.

The no equipment and no shopping rules take a huge part away from JRPGs that I enjoy.

Shypox just seems like artificial difficulty to me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you want artificial difficulty, this is a "rule" I've used since childhood for DQ games. It's not a huge increase, but it matters for boss fights and post-game bosses!

- Every character must be alive at the end of the battle. (I wanted every character to get the full amount of exp they deserved; death/KO at the end gets in the way of that.)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Saw bravely second for $15 at Walmart. Figured its worth it
It wasn't. :( At least for me. I played Default so much I had every character with all jobs maxed, then through NG+ and did a couple 30 minute long special village dragon's. So maybe I was burned the fuck out by the time Second came around. Only have 10 hours on it, when I had 100+ on Default. The end of Default was fuckin cool, where you needed to stand up and turn around to see everything that was going on. Definitely one of the more memorable endings to a jrpg that I've ever played.

Needless

Toe Sucker
lol im like 14 or so hours into DQ11 now and the difficulty spiked big time, da fack.
gotta find me some metal slimes to grind

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
lol im like 14 or so hours into DQ11 now and the difficulty spiked big time, da fack.
gotta find me some metal slimes to grind
You're playing with harder enemies and shit or just vanilla spike?

I'm tempted to grab this, but having a hard time deciding if I want to play this right now or if I don't care enough and can just wait until it's 30bucks in 3months or whatever and just play one of the many other games I have instead. I'm leaning towards waiting in case the PC port has issues.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Difficulty increases are almost entirely on par with what you can "alchemize" in most DQ games. 8 has a notorious spike when you can fight Dhoulmagus the first time, but it is very easy to cope with if you make silver shields/etc. I'm a bit shy on 11 stuff (no spoilz thanks) but it is most likely the same. DQ games are hardcore math formula games; if you are playing normally you'll be fine if you do certain specific things that are taking into account by the enemy calculations. This is almost always the intangible shit, like alchemy or specific skills etc. Grinding will get you past it, but there's probably a "preferred" method of progressing, and I would wager it is side quest/alchemization related.

Needless

Toe Sucker
You're playing with harder enemies and shit or just vanilla spike?

I'm tempted to grab this, but having a hard time deciding if I want to play this right now or if I don't care enough and can just wait until it's 30bucks in 3months or whatever and just play one of the many other games I have instead. I'm leaning towards waiting in case the PC port has issues.

Just in general, I cruised through it until this point where a boss can pretty much 2 shot my party now lol

I’m pretty sure rezz is right, there’s a chain event of a few diff bosses right before this that I had to go back and upgrade all my gear for one character and maybe 20 extra defense straight cut the bosses damage in half

Last edited:

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I still haven't bought the game because I am not sure if I want the PS4 or PC version. Obviously, with a good port, the PC version is better with more graphical options and a smooth 60fps (though not as important in a turn based combat game). However, since there is still only one PC review out and tons of PS4 ones it makes me worried. A bad PC port from a Japanese RPG isn't exactly unheard of.

Not that big a deal though since a game download is usually shorter than decrypting a pre-download on steam. Not sure why that takes so long even on SSDs.

September is a crazy month of games though. Dragon Quest, Tomb Raider, Spiderman, Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Bards Tale 4. Those are all within 14 days of each other.

I'm also playing a new run of Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition which is a 100+ hour thing.

My expectation is that gaming ADHD will kick in. I will play some of all of them, but not finish any. And if they are not complete by late October for RDR 2, they will instantly go on the backlog.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
PC version of DQ11 has Denuvo which makes it automatically the worst tier of port.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
PC version of DQ11 has Denuvo which makes it automatically the worst tier of port.

Guess that settles it along with friend that I swap share my PS4 with pre-ordered it.

PC version: Denuvo, $60 and unlocks in 20 hours
PS4 version: Free and unlocks in an hour and 40 minutes.

PS4 wins!

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Guess my copy comes tormorrow huzzah no more hasty translating but it's still probably gonna be edited .... fuck

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Guess that settles it along with friend that I swap share my PS4 with pre-ordered it.

PC version: Denuvo, $60 and unlocks in 20 hours
PS4 version: Free and unlocks in an hour and 40 minutes.

PS4 wins!
PC version is 40-45bucks, as is usual for PC games. Denuvo is kinda whatever, generally makes the initial loading slower and sometimes the other loadings, but generally speaking PC loads way faster than even a SSD PS4 Pro anyway, so you don't lose anytime. It can be annoying when they fuck up the integration of a new version and it straight up doesn't work however, and I'd rather not have Denuvo on the games, but it has yet to cause any issue for me. But yeah if you share PS4 stuff then it's still going to be better, Denuvo or not, it's hard to beat free. And the unlocking is annoying, but it's pretty common for most PC games besides huge releases, it's not worth it for them to pay Valve to have engineers at midnight to support any launch issues when they can wait a few hours and have it done for free during Valve hours.