JRPGs

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Last one I really played was Dragon Quest VIII - Wikipedia and while I beat it and got the most powerful weapons etc I can honestly say fuck this series, that gameplay vid above with the slimes brought back all the shit that made me angry.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I have no particular interest in DQ as a series but since it'll be on Steam I'll probably play it at some point on a sale or whatever unless I'm bored when it releases. I only played DQ Builders which was kinda fun but pretty shallow and a remake of an old one on 3DS, 6 or 7 or whatever and I honestly stopped playing it after like 30 or 40hours cause it was just way too fucking slow and boring, storywise.

The combat wasn't that great either, it had a class system where you have to level various classes to unlock hybrid better versions of them but if you grind for like an hour you unlock all the final classes and they're pretty broken so the combat just becomes a spam one skill and wait for stuff to die kinda,. Plus there's only like 3 final classes, so there's no real variety, your 2 melees are the same classes, healer is the healer final class and mage the mage final class so the concept is pretty much flawed, the classes shouldn't be better than the others, there's like 15classes in the game but only 3 worth using.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I've never figured out the attraction of the DQ series. At least the world looks pretty in this one (offset by Toriyama's typical character design, unfortunately) but everything else seems dull as shit.

The main appeal for me is nostalgia (DQ 4 was one of my all time favorite NES games) and old school JRPG menu combat. DQ's core gameplay hasn't changed a whole hell of a lot over the years, which is just fine by me. Sometimes I want that kind of gameplay without having to play a game I've played a bunch of times already.

It's very unlikely I'll pick it up at launch, but I'll probably grab it the first time it's on a decent steam sale.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Looking forward to Project Octopath this year and because of y'all playing legend of heroes. Great game

Needless

Toe Sucker
I didn't like DQ8 which most people praise, but i loved the everliving hell out of DQ9 because of the jobs system lol

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Ni No Kuni 2 is pretty fun. Running a script in cheat engine to up the difficulty a bit (enemies do 1.6x dmg and characters do 0.5 damage) and it feels really good to play.

Siliconemelons

saw the deluxe edition at target for 80$

ehh...

does this one have the stupid pokemon mechanic... I hate these games that are "A classic RPG and turn based battles..." then "...WITH A TWIST" fuck the twists!!

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The twist this time is rts-lite battles. Haven't played it yet because I hated the first game, but from what I've watched of it there doesn't seem to be anything "classic" about the battle system at all.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's improved in just about every capacity over the first. If you do the side quests / explore / level up your kingdom ahead of the plot its definitely on the easier side, however even with that there are tainted monsters that can still one shot you with random melee.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>

Not strictly a JRPG, but in a similar vein. I fucking love Shenmue and I can't wait to play it on Steam.

• 1Solidarity

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wow, did not know that DQXI was going to be Steam. Vacation week for sure~

A little disappointed the soundtrack isn't an orchestral suite like VIII's Western PS2 got, though. :( That was the best part of VIII's release in the West.

Honestly, I hope they consider re-releaseing IX to the 3DS, only with the improvement of able to unlock the entire Inn without going to Tokyo or to PAX Prime. :p To say nothing about the WiFi shop exclusives.

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider

Not strictly a JRPG, but in a similar vein. I fucking love Shenmue and I can't wait to play it on Steam.

I'm so stoked for this. I never played 2, but loved Shenmue 1 on DC. I remember being so blown away at how revolutionary those QTE's were at the time.

I assumed they'd do something like this with 3 in development, but seeing it confirmed for 2018 is awesome.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Definitely getting DQ11, it's supposed to be super good from what i've heard? better than 8?

• 1Like

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I've heard nothing but good from people who've played it. It's also getting an extra difficulty mode for the western release which is nice(I heard the game was on the easy side). I have it preordered but it will have to wait a bit as new Path of Exile league starts this weekend heh.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Dragon Quest 11 review

"Dragon Quest 11 might just be the best example of a Japanese role-playing game I’ve ever played: It’s a great example of the genre, but that doesn’t necessarily make it a great game."

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I don't care for Kotaku stuff but Tim Rogers does a great job with the review, pretty funny to:

• 1Like