JRPGs

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Persona 5 was great

Star Ocean 3 is on PSN(Digital only) , Last Hope is releasing soon for PS4/PC(woho jesus what a garbage game that one was)

And there are some rumors floating around that Persona 1-3 will be releasing on PS4(doubt it though but hey never know), I really want P4G on PS4...

Persona 1 and 2 aren't really like Persona 3. I wouldn't get too hyped for 1/2, personally. P3 however is one of the greatest games ever made.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Downside 3: EO5 was a huge disappointment and pretty much a straight downgrade from EO4.

Really I thought 5 was good, especially the classes, really liked them. I guess the floors were more simplistic overall though, less teleport fuckery and what not. I wasn't a big fan of the airship/map of EOIV either so I didn't miss that. Art was better imo, both music and graphic design, and having char customization was also great. I don't know overall I'd put it over the others, but I haven't played 3 which I hear from a lot of people is the best in the series(hopefully the unannounced last 3DS game they're working on is EO3U)

Jesus j didn't know people still played ffxi.

Chains of promathia when it was current was so fucking hard but the story was so good. Had a static party that completed it over like 6 months at the time. Aht urghan was when I quit. Just did not live up to COP. Zilart had it's moments.

Yeah I wasn't really expecting to play it but I saw they had some returning/new player event shit somewhere(maybe FFXIV reddit I forgot) and a sale on the game and I had heard about FFXI having good storylines so I figured I'd pick it up for 10bucks with the free month. It is taking longer than expected so I hope I'll be able to finish before the end of the free month though, even with wiki, fast travel and trivial leveling, it still takes a fucking crazy amount of time to finish this stuff. They actually still do patches and shit too, every month they add new level capped version of old content(currently Dynamis) with slightly better version of existing gear and shuffle some boss fights on Ambuscade, but at this point game is kinda on life support, has been for a while. It probably doesn't cost them that much to run though seeing as how it's just old servers and shit.

If the UI wasnt such a clunky piece of shit it'd be a lot more enjoyable to play though.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Persona 1 and 2 aren't really like Persona 3. I wouldn't get too hyped for 1/2, personally. P3 however is one of the greatest games ever made.

Supposedly the game will be a collection of them ~ so *shrug*(but like I said rumor mill no official response from Atlas on it, so I doubt it will happen)

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
FFXI had a really good story but it wasn't presented particularly well. The story peaked in CoP but Wings of the Goddess had a good story too, and it was presented a bit better.

The Abyssea expansions actually had a good plot, even if you didn't like the gameplay loop they added, it was neat to be in this world where you died, and Shinryu was a direct outcome of that failure. It was a cool what if scenario.

FFXI had some of the best emergent gameplay that I've experienced though, you could be convinced that certain things created by players were a part of the story but they actually weren't.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you're a fan of alchemy (finding stuff, turning that into other/better stuff) the Atelier games are a fun time. Nothing particularly earth shattering in story compared to other rpg's but the graphics are gorgeous. They have games dating back to the ps2 that are fun to play through even now + a bunch more on ps4

Siliconemelons

I want a new epic Lunar trilogy starting with SSS, then EB and a new OG 4 hero's game- let the Bravely Default people do the 2-3D art etc. Keep the battle system simple yet fun, make it more mature so the story is a little more open and free to expand.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
If you're a fan of alchemy (finding stuff, turning that into other/better stuff) the Atelier games are a fun time. Nothing particularly earth shattering in story compared to other rpg's but the graphics are gorgeous. They have games dating back to the ps2 that are fun to play through even now + a bunch more on ps4

I was actually considering picking the ones on Steam up, but I've got such a huge backlog right now that I didn't get around to it.

The graphical style reminds me of Eternal Sonata for some reason, whenever I see an Atelier game.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
So looking to pick up either Tales of Berseria or Legend of Heroes: Trial game both on sale on steam. I like games that have significant character development and ideally some level of "choice" in how you progress your character. Do either of these games cater at all to that?

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
So looking to pick up either Tales of Berseria or Legend of Heroes: Trial game both on sale on steam. I like games that have significant character development and ideally some level of "choice" in how you progress your character. Do either of these games cater at all to that?

Trails in the Sky has that in spades. The character development is a huge part of the game, and each NPC has its own backstory that you can follow if you want. There are so many memorable characters inside and outside of your party.

Lots of people consider the game slow because you spend a large amount of time building the world and characters, and the first game really leads onto the second game with the majority of the plot playing out in the second game.

In terms of character building, it's pretty freeing to be honest. It works on a kind of materia system where you can focus more on magic or physical skills, though some characters have a predisposition to certain roles (healer, DPS, tank etc).

Tales of Berseria is a really good game, and if you were comparing it to any other game it may win that, but honestly I consider the trails games some of the best in terms of character building and story. They're really fantastic.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider

Will echo what gshurik gshurik said above. Trails games are pretty much all about the story, characters and world building. They are a bit of a "slow burn" but the payoff is worth it. Plus you get that great music Falcom never fails to deliver on. The turn-based combat works well too, lots of nice magic effects for the spells and abilities. 100% recommend any of the Trails games on Steam, it's somewhat recommended to play Trails in the Sky before Trails of Cold Steel but it's not 100% necessary if you want to play the newer looking series first.

Berseria was a step up above the previous couple Tales games for sure. Only downside was I only really liked controlling the main character, the other characters you get don't play as well as the MC.

Last edited:

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Is anyone playing any specific JRPGs right now? Does anyone have any favourites they want to discuss or a series they want to talk about?

I'm playing through Xenoblade Chronicles on the 3DS right now and I'm enjoying the story a lot. I really don't think the visuals are all that bad on the 3DS, but I remember them looking a lot worse on the Wii a few years ago. Resolution I guess.

My favourite JRPG series is the Legend of Heroes: Trails series (or Kiseki). I've played through them all to completion, even being as insane as to play through Zero and Ao with a spreadsheet. I find the world building, character development and overall writing to be amazing in those games.

You are my new best friend.

brohugs.

no homo.

My steam list:

upload_2017-11-27_20-22-20.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Will echo what gshurik gshurik said above. Trails games are pretty much all about the story, characters and world building. They are a bit of a "slow burn" but the payoff is worth it. Plus you get that great music Falcom never fails to deliver on. The turn-based combat works well too, lots of nice magic effects for the spells and abilities. 100% recommend any of the Trails games on Steam, it's somewhat recommended to play Trails in the Sky before Trails of Cold Steel but it's not 100% necessary if you want to play the newer looking series first.

Berseria was a step up above the previous couple Tales games for sure. Only downside was I only really liked controlling the main character, the other characters you get don't play as well as the MC.

Yeah cold steel is perfectly fine game to start with, but you might end up in a situation where it's harder to go back to the less visually appealing games. That's more down to personal preference though as I've never really disliked the looks of the old overhead 2D sprites.

I personally believe that trails in the sky has a better story, but I very much liked trails of cold Steel. They're all part of the same world so I suggest starting with trails in the sky or trails in cold steel and then going on from there.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
+1 to Trails in the sky series

EDIT:

And trailer for the newest game in the series if you want to skip the older ones. Not tried it myself, apparently new characters, but the same world. So can still get into it as a new player, but it builds on the world from the previous games, so you'll probably miss the nuances if you skip the older ones.

Last edited:

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Star Ocean 4 just dropped on Steam.

I know it's not considered the best in the series by a long shot, but I weirdly enjoyed it when I last played it. There was issues, but it's probably still worth a look.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The combat is decent, but the characters are a fucking abomination. You've got an unbelievably annoying 'child' character who ends every sentence with "kay?", the pedo elf stalker who follows her around, a creepy cat girl, and even poor Laura Bailey got signed up to do the worst performance of her career (Welch, obviously... Reimi is alright, but it's still weird that one VA is doing two major roles).

Easily the worst game that ever got put into my PS3, thankfully it was just a rental.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
SaGa Frontier 2 still has one of the best combat/skill systems of any jrpg I've played. I think most people are turned off by the SaGa series because you can't play them like a traditional final fantasy or DQ, but they're amazing if you can get over the initial learning curve.