JRPGs

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Star Ocean 4 just dropped on Steam.

I know it's not considered the best in the series by a long shot, but I weirdly enjoyed it when I last played it. There was issues, but it's probably still worth a look.

Don';t do this to me. I've already got 1000 on xbox, and platinum on PS3. If I have to do that shit again on the PC....................

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I just looked at my Steam account and I put 232 hours into The Last Remnant. I really like that game. Story was decent but the character development and Arts system were really great in my opinion. I would check that one out if you haven't already.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I just looked at my Steam account and I put 232 hours into The Last Remnant. I really like that game. Story was decent but the character development and Arts system were really great in my opinion. I would check that one out if you haven't already.

TLR for PC is extremely underrated. I never got it on Steam because I already had it non-steam, but it's a very good game, and extremely enjoyable. Sadly, the xbox version was so terrible it ruined the game. The PC game is something else though.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I'm in the middle of playing through The Last Remnant myself right now!

I also have a fucking pile of recommendations, I don't even know where to start....

These haven't been mentioned in this thread I think:

Ni No Kuni in preparation for NNK2?
I Am Setsuna
Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
Nier: Automata
.Hack G.U.
Fairy Fencer F
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Omega Quintet

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

I have more then a few jrpgs on steam, i have not gotten around to. Can't justify buying more..
They are just so.. involved. I dunno. I can play 200hours+ of path of exile, rimworld, LoL, etc.. mostly because I can do it more in bite sized pieces. Even western rpgs I feel you can do that more with.. (have tyranny, lords of xulima, divine divinity, beyond divinity, wizadry 6 and 7..sitting there as well..)

Are we counting Disgaea as jrpg too?
have valkryia to get also.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I dont think Dragon Age inquisition counts as JRPG.

I heard Integrity and faithlessness was really bad so also may not fit on that list.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I dont think Dragon Age inquisition counts as JRPG.

I heard Integrity and faithlessness was really bad so also may not fit on that list.

I'd put DA:I as an ARPG, not JRPG which I associate more with turn based combat.

As to the list above
Ni No Kuni - Would recommend that game. Typical JRPG that looks amazing.
I Am Setsuna - Made as a homage to Chrono Trigger, with several of the mechanics, but I never finished it. In my backlog, but doubt I'll go back. Worth a look though. Not that long either I believe, around 20-30?
Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness - I would definitely list as skippable even on sale. I finished it, wouldn't recommend it.
Nier: Automata - Same as DA:I, ARPG. Good game though, but not played it much myself.
.Hack G.U. - ARPG. Fun though. Finished the first one now (you get 4 of these games with the price of one in the PS4/PC version that just released)
Fairy Fencer F - Played it for a bit. Meh.
Dragon Age: Inquisition - ARPG
Omega Quintet - Couldn't get into this one. Have it, but only played it for around 2 hours.

To add to the list

Battle Chasers: Nightwar - released not long ago, and seems decent so far, but only played it for a few hours.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I liked ni no kuni. It would've been my game of the year if not for two major reasons. Mr. Drippy hand holds you THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE GAME and your AI team is absolutely retarded. Once you get the game breaking dragon you can basically ignore your team. Brought the game from 10/10 to a 7.5/10

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I didn't like Ni No Kuni simply because the AI was awful. Magic was unusable because the AI had an all or nothing toggle which made no sense at all.

Ni No Kuni 2 looks a lot better to me, I will probably pick that up on Steam.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I Am Setsuna is entirely passable imo. I didnt find any point of the game to be exciting, although it wasnt bad it just wasnt all that fun either

Molten Core Raider
It might be an odd suggestion to make, especially so far past the systems expiration date, but if you want to glut yourself with good jrpgs, look into picking up a cheap PSP and a set of composite cables. Hook the thing up to your tv, hit the couch and you can do horrible things to your gaming backlog.

The remastered Tactics Ogre, the first Legend of Heroes Trilogy (not as good as the Trails series, but still not bad), Riviera, Brave Story, couple Tales games, Valkyria Chronicles 2 (and 3 if you're not averse to english patches and hacking your system), Jeanne d'Arc, too many to name. It likely will never become your go-to source for jrpgs but there's plenty here to fill in the gap between major new rpg releases.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
It might be an odd suggestion to make, especially so far past the systems expiration date, but if you want to glut yourself with good jrpgs, look into picking up a cheap PSP and a set of composite cables. Hook the thing up to your tv, hit the couch and you can do horrible things to your gaming backlog.

The remastered Tactics Ogre, the first Legend of Heroes Trilogy (not as good as the Trails series, but still not bad), Riviera, Brave Story, couple Tales games, Valkyria Chronicles 2 (and 3 if you're not averse to english patches and hacking your system), Jeanne d'Arc, too many to name. It likely will never become your go-to source for jrpgs but there's plenty here to fill in the gap between major new rpg releases.

I got my PSTV solely for P4G after beating P5 earlier this year. I was looking for a few games to play on it so it wasn't just an expensive Persona machine lol.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I Am Setsuna is entirely passable imo. I didnt find any point of the game to be exciting, although it wasnt bad it just wasnt all that fun either

It was kinda charming, but didn't have enough meat to keep me that invested really. Lost Sphear is looking a lot better though, so I really hope that they've found their feet with Setsuna and will release a solid JRPG with Lost Sphear.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Maybe not the classics but I have Lost Odyssey, FF13, FF Type-0, The Last Remnanat, and star ocean 4 queued up. I want to play one of them over the holiday but they're so time consuming I'll probably just end up picking up the FFXV dlc when all the stories are out.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I got my PSTV solely for P4G after beating P5 earlier this year. I was looking for a few games to play on it so it wasn't just an expensive Persona machine lol.
I got one to play Danganronpa, although now they've released them on Steam so it was mostly a waste. I did grab Dungeon Travellers 2 too however which I've heard good things about but haven't started playing it yet. It's a dungeon rpg, not "pure" jrpg though. There's a few other vita games I had my eyes on like Demon Gaze(2nd one was released on PS4 also so no need but first one wasn't) and Operation Abyss, although that one was also released on Steam. So not much value out of the PSTV, but it wasn't particularily expensive so not a huge deal.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I got one to play Danganronpa, although now they've released them on Steam so it was mostly a waste. I did grab Dungeon Travellers 2 too however which I've heard good things about but haven't started playing it yet. It's a dungeon rpg, not "pure" jrpg though. There's a few other vita games I had my eyes on like Demon Gaze(2nd one was released on PS4 also so no need but first one wasn't) and Operation Abyss, although that one was also released on Steam. So not much value out of the PSTV, but it wasn't particularily expensive so not a huge deal.

I've bought Danganronpa but I've yet to play it, I should get around to it soon. The Vita was a pretty good JRPG machine, I think the PSTV was a worthwhile purchase seeing as it was relatively cheap lol.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>

Character switching come to XV. It actually looks pretty good to me. I had a few issues with XV personally but character swapping would make the combat a lot more fun and fluid.

I'm looking forward to the PC release of XV with all of these QoL changes, as well as the DLC. I really want to explore the world of ruin properly.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Alternatively, PPSSPP can emulate practically any game on the system that's worth playing and runs on just about any device these days. I've got it installed on my phone, tablet, and PC and they all run games just fine. Obviously you should stick to SRPGs and the like for anything that doesn't have a gamepad attached to it, but I did manage to play P3P on my tablet using the touch controls with only minor issues in Tartarus.

I've bought Danganronpa but I've yet to play it, I should get around to it soon. The Vita was a pretty good JRPG machine, I think the PSTV was a worthwhile purchase seeing as it was relatively cheap lol.
Danganronpa is up there with Zero Escape in my book when it comes to non-RPG Japanese stuff.

I wish I had picked up a PSTV when they dropped to $30 on clearance everywhere. My Vita is great, but it's on 3.60 firmware and that means I can't play anything new, and I really want to play Mary Skelter and a few other things that came out this year. I'd be fine with updating a PSTV to the latest firmware, but there's no way in hell I'd do that to the actual Vita.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Well they fucked up Xenoblade 2. Good job.

7/10 gamespot.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/xenoblade-chronicles-2-review/1900-6416821/

Take screenshots when the game presents you with a tutorial, because once you move to the next text bubble, that info is otherwise lost. The only other recourse is to purchase bite-sized tips from informants throughout the game, though linking partial tutorials to a merchant is hardly user-friendly, and they don't adequately cover the breadth of Xenoblade 2's mechanics.

Also hits everywhere regardless of review score on voice acting being completely sub par, so I guess the fix is to go with Japanese VO and English sub titles.

Last edited:

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Started playing Trails in the sky FC after reading this thread, I have to say this game is pretty damn good.