JRPGs

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Started playing Trails in the sky FC after reading this thread, I have to say this game is pretty damn good.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, it gets better later on too and it's excellent if you don't mind slower paced games.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Pretty sure I'm just in the world building stage at about 15 hours in. Hints here and there of something bigger but really its just being small time heroes for the moment. I'm really enjoying that aspect as opposed to the usual JRPG the world is in peril from the word go plot setup.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure I'm just in the world building stage at about 15 hours in. Hints here and there of something bigger but really its just being small time heroes for the moment. I'm really enjoying that aspect as opposed to the usual JRPG the world is in peril from the word go plot setup.

That's precisely what I enjoyed. It lets you know the characters prior to giving you a huge overarching goal or big bad to work toward.

Trails FC does that all the way through pretty much, and SC really kicks it into high gear.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure how one negative point in an otherwise pretty praising review equals "fucked up" but ok.

Stop being silly again.

Did we read the same review? I was looking forward to seeing what this game to be as much as you. I loved the XC for the Wii, bought XCX for the Wii U and it was a shit show... So as a result, I am waiting to see reviews. Out of most reviews I personally agree with over time, Gamespot has pretty much been it. So let's point out your supposedly one negative point in a otherwise "pretty praising review" in their 7/10.

Annoying characters.

Once again, the stout and furry Nopon creatures are an annoyance on par with Jar Jar Binks, harming would-be dramatic scenes the moment they open their mouths.

Poor voice overs.

But long before the story delivers these compelling beats, you are thrust into predictable scenarios and presented with poorly voiced characters from one scene to the next.

Poor game mechanic explanation.

One of the major issues with Xenoblade 2 is that it fails to adequately educate you, with fly-by tutorials introducing cascading mechanics and terminology that's easy to mix up.

Poor reference material (Almost non-existent) to the poor game mechanic explanations. Their solution is to take screenshots. Seriously.

Take screenshots when the game presents you with a tutorial, because once you move to the next text bubble, that info is otherwise lost. The only other recourse is to purchase bite-sized tips from informants throughout the game, though linking partial tutorials to a merchant is hardly user-friendly, and they don't adequately cover the breadth of Xenoblade 2's mechanics.

Poor inventory management possibly touching on an overall poor UI entire.

This also extends to a vast selection of accessories for characters and Blades, which are difficult to keep track of and compare given the game's mediocre item-management interface.

A failed secondary progression mechanic for blades with limited accessibility.

To combat the randomness of Core Crystals, you are joined by a Blade early on named Poppi, an artificial lifeform that you can customize to your liking. The concept sounds great, but unlocking parts to modify Poppi requires you to play a shallow retro game called Tiger Tiger, where you move a chunky character through a slow-scrolling stage while picking up collectables. More annoyingly, you can't play this game freely, and must return to an early-game location and likely play a couple hundred rounds to earn enough resources for desirable upgrades. This long-winded process isn't enjoyable enough to see through, and not worth sidelining your efforts elsewhere with Blades that you can raise organically through combat.

Summary:

It will be a tough pill to swallow for people who aren't accustomed to the typical cliches found in many Japanese RPGs, and its often clumsy nature keeps it from being the next groundbreaking Switch game, but Xenoblade 2 is worth pursuing if you've got enough patience to let it blossom.

Not sure we read the same review.

For people like me, who like games like Persona 5 and Ni No Kuni (I actually finished my first final fantasy ever last Christmas with FF15) and absolutely loved Xenoblade on the Wii as it managed to steer away from some of the most annoying of Japanese RPG Anime stereotypes. (Which I am sure are either loved or hated and all subjective) but buried beneath is a poorly voice acted mechanically confused game with shallow characters and unique drama scenes ruined by over-bearing and annoying characters in where it could be a touching story moment. You can't have that in this game.

Once you play it, I would be interested to hear your opinion.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You could say most of those things about XCX as well, and I liked that game far more than XC. XC was just a cheap imitation of FF XII crossed with dull MMO-style questing.

Nopons are fucking awful though, no arguments there. I wouldn't bother switching to JP voices though; Nopons will be shit no matter what language they're speaking and the rest of the English cast seems fine from what I've seen/heard. My biggest concern would be reading that the combat is "tough" and success/failure seems to rely on how perfectly you execute a bunch of QTEs.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I would say the most issues I had with XCX were:

1) The music was so God awful I couldn't even listen to it. It had some of the most annoying tracks I have ever heard. But above that, I cannot tell you how many times I was trying to actually listen to characters speak and an overpowering lyric or music rift completely destroyed even what the hell they were trying to say.

2) The game mechanics were complex and very difficult to understand without some sort of guide. If I didn't know any better I would have thought Prima Games was in cahoots with these guys to make it as confusing as possible to sell a guide.

3) The over arching landscaping and world design/UI was confusing as balls. I also prefer wilderness maps like the original XC.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Game is sitting at an 85 on metacritic so? Obviously some reviewers aren't going to like the game.

Only thing I was really disappointed about in XCX was the story/characters. Adored the first game though

• 1Like

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thanks for making this thread as the jrpg is my favorite genre as well. And I'm honestly just ecstatic about 2017's sustained release of quality titles, and I'll single out the PS4 as having a particularly stellar year that began with Berseria, then followed it up with Nier, P5 (a top 5 GoAT for me), Ff12 remaster and Ys.

If someone had asked me two years ago to comment on the state of the genre, I'd probably have said it was on the verge of death. Very glad to be wrong

Noodle, you should stop playing FF15 for the simple fact that it's a steaming pile of shit and you noted as much many months ago, lol

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Thanks for making this thread as the jrpg is my favorite genre as well. And I'm honestly just ecstatic about 2017's sustained release of quality titles, and I'll single out the PS4 as having a particularly stellar year that began with Berseria, then followed it up with Nier, P5 (a top 5 GoAT for me), Ff12 remaster and Ys.

If someone had asked me two years ago to comment on the state of the genre, I'd probably have said it was on the verge of death. Very glad to be wrong

Noodle, you should stop playing FF15 for the simple fact that it's a steaming pile of shit and you noted as much many months ago, lol

I loved Final Fantasy 15.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>

There are so many great JRPGs that people don't play so I'm glad that they're being discovered. Trails is finally getting people playing it which is creating a real appetite for that series, Berseria was probably the best Tales of game since Vesperia or even Symphonia and Persona 5 did so much right and even hooked people who aren't traditionally into JRPGs.

We have SMT5 next year which should be great, and I'm really hoping that the year 2 DLC for FFXV will dig it out of the hole it's in.

Assuming Xenoblade 2 isn't bad, it's a good time for JRPGs.

• 1Solidarity

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
I loved Final Fantasy 15.

Fair enough. I'm not the type of FF fan that transforms into a rabid chocobo and starts warbling unintelligibly when somebody impugns my FF quality hierarchy, but I will say that I booted up FF13 after finishing 15 just to confirm my suspicion that I hated 15 more, which I did indeed find to be the case. Pretty much everything about both games frustrated the hell out of me.

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Fair enough. I'm not the type of FF fan that transforms into a rabid chocobo and starts warbling unintelligibly when somebody impugns my FF quality hierarchy, but I will say that I booted up FF13 after finishing 15 just to confirm my suspicion that I hated 15 more, which I did indeed find to be the case. Pretty much everything about both games frustrated the hell out of me.
XIII was one of those weird games that could have been good with some better planning I think. The battle system was pretty fun and Paradigm Shift was an actual cool battle mechanic that added a lot to the complexity, but the story, characters, setting and development system was disgusting.

It's why XIII-2 was a lot better because at least Noel was an ok character and the world was a lot bigger and more fun to explore. That game was left out by mini pokemon though.

I liked XV in parts, and I actually really liked the open world gameplay, but the linear parts (which was actually the parts I was looking forward to the most) blew big style. It really felt like a game of two halves, and you could feel how much 10 years of development hell hurt XV with how disjointed the gameplay was.

The new changes make it significantly better which makes it the sad truth that they probably should have delayed it another 2 years tbh.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

I do not give square an oz. of room for "if only they did X, or had more Y" - they take years upon years upon YEARS to make these games, FF is the CORE of their IP portfolio and (as we have seen) the name alone prints money.

So for a company that has one of "the most respected" lineages in story, game design, visuals etc. etc. to put out a game that is not "BOTW"-esque "near perfect" - is unacceptable esp for 15, a flagship number in their series.

when their "C" team is doing better with their long time base with BD1&2 and seemingly Octopath, I toss almost any new core FF game into FF8 territory.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
XIII was one of those weird games that could have been good with some better planning I think. The battle system was pretty fun and Paradigm Shift was an actual cool battle mechanic that added a lot to the complexity, but the story, characters, setting and development system was disgusting.

It's why XIII-2 was a lot better because at least Noel was an ok character and the world was a lot bigger and more fun to explore. That game was left out by mini pokemon though.

I liked XV in parts, and I actually really liked the open world gameplay, but the linear parts (which was actually the parts I was looking forward to the most) blew big style. It really felt like a game of two halves, and you could feel how much 10 years of development hell hurt XV with how disjointed the gameplay was.

The new changes make it significantly better which makes it the sad truth that they probably should have delayed it another 2 years tbh.

I think and hope we're in for a leaner, meaner FF16. Seeing Atlus manage what they did - which is to day virtually unanimously win over critics, fans and even genre neophytes alike, and with a budget that was probably less than 10% of FFXV's - can't have been a pleasant experience for a team that spent a fucking decade on a game a lot of people simply didn't like

Needless

Toe Sucker
Surely the VA in the new xenoblade can't be as bad as SO4's Lymle... right? Mmm'kaaaayyyy

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Surely the VA in the new xenoblade can't be as bad as SO4's Lymle... right? Mmm'kaaaayyyy

It’s BAD. People are just turning on Japanese voices and reading the sub titles.

It sounds like someone had the hiccups or were sneezing and hitting a red mute button before finishing their really bad acting of the script. Or were taking a gigantic shit while recording via an iPhone mic. “Will you........ zzzzzzzz. Take me to Elysium?” It’s a.......... zzzzzzzz. Girl. “. The entire first part of this trailer is cringe worthy English dub.

So highly highly recommend if playing this to use the Japanese voices which you need to download, and turn on subtitles.

Last edited:

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
With that said, dromarch sounds like Falkor from the never ending story. Is it him?

joz123

Potato del Grande
I've been finishing up Yakuzo 0, game has great story and voice acting. Sunk tons of hours into the side stuff alone. Gonna start Kiwami right after.

• 1Solidarity