JRPGs

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Speaking of Dragon Warrior, are there any relatively older (PS2 / PS3 ) Dragon Quest titles that are really excellent? I have and played the one where there is 3 main characters and wasn't impressed... was 2 males and 1 female and the blonde guy had red armor and the dark haired guy had green clothes like Link and you had to get plate fragments to travel to different areas. It was just lackluster to me. But I've had a huge fondness for the series and would love to get a solid new (new to me) game in my hands... preferably one that almost hearkens back to the first three series and contains huge nostalgia... y'know, has metal slimes, magi-wyverns, goldmans etc hehe.

It seems DQ11 is precisely what I'm looking for but I don't own a PS4 and I'm too poor to buy one :emoji_sob::emoji_sob::emoji_sob: Going out of budget for approximately $350 to play this seems excessive even though I'm dying to play this!

For the fans of the series that are like me and literally grew up on DW1, 2, 3 etc, is DQ11 the perfect blend of what I was talking about? Nostalgia and old-school sensibilities combined with current-gen graphics? I read on wiki that one of the complaints was the odd-ball pair of great visuals with 1990s midi-based soundtracks, as well as simplistic combat, but seeing a short YouTube vid of the intro and gameplay, I was like.... no, that's fucking cool! It felt sooo DW to me. Does that get kinda old after playing for a buncha hours or is it, in a way, a perfect design choice for old fans like me?

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Speaking of Dragon Warrior, are there any relatively older (PS2 / PS3 ) Dragon Quest titles that are really excellent? I have and played the one where there is 3 main characters and wasn't impressed... was 2 males and 1 female and the blonde guy had red armor and the dark haired guy had green clothes like Link and you had to get plate fragments to travel to different areas. It was just lackluster to me. But I've had a huge fondness for the series and would love to get a solid new (new to me) game in my hands... preferably one that almost hearkens back to the first three series and contains huge nostalgia... y'know, has metal slimes, magi-wyverns, goldmans etc hehe.

It seems DQ11 is precisely what I'm looking for but I don't own a PS4 and I'm too poor to buy one :emoji_sob::emoji_sob::emoji_sob: Going out of budget for approximately $350 to play this seems excessive even though I'm dying to play this!

For the fans of the series that are like me and literally grew up on DW1, 2, 3 etc, is DQ11 the perfect blend of what I was talking about? Nostalgia and old-school sensibilities combined with current-gen graphics? I read on wiki that one of the complaints was the odd-ball pair of great visuals with 1990s midi-based soundtracks, as well as simplistic combat, but seeing a short YouTube vid of the intro and gameplay, I was like.... no, that's fucking cool! It felt sooo DW to me. Does that get kinda old after playing for a buncha hours or is it, in a way, a perfect design choice for old fans like me?

I pretty consistently hear DQV is one of the best jrpg's ever released. It's a good deal older than ps2 era, but it was touched up (maybe even remade?) for the DS at one point. Easily emulated too.

Edit: haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but I tracked down the DS version a while back.

Needless

Toe Sucker
DQ11 is on PC as well if you want to play it that badly without dropping like 500 bucks lol

Pretty sure i have DQ8 on my 3DS, so it's portable as well

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Looks like it's pretty much official that Resonance of Fate is finally coming to PS4 and PC. It was easily the best JRPG of last gen (I'd go so far as to say best JRPG combat system ever too) and I've been dying to replay it ever since I traded in my PS3. Hopefully it's going to be like some of Sega's other recent PC ports where they announce it and a month or so later it's out.

Resonance of Fate 4K / HD Edition announced for PS4, PC - Gematsu

Spot on :) October 18th

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sounds like a pretty straight port with just upscaled graphics. Apparently no involvement from Sega either, since only tri-Ace is mentioned. PC vs. PS4 will be a tough choice. Kind of doubt the PC version will bother with Denuvo, but I'm sure it will look a lot better on my TV than on my monitor (with black bars on the sides because there's almost 0 chance of 21:9 support in this kind of port).

Vorph

It is strange. Every turn requires planning, and you have to understand the different gun/damage mechanics or else you'll end up doing no damage. And while the characters do have a traditional hp bar, you actually sustain fights by performing well, and once you make a mistake it can snowball quickly into a game over.

The only really shit part of it is that the battle system simply doesn't function unless you have all three characters so you can do tri-attacks, and there are some really irritating sections where they make you play with 1 or 2.

And the story is just batshit insane. It's almost in so-bad-it's-good territory, but mostly it's just nonsensical even by anime/jrpg standards. Everything else is so good that I can't really hold that against it though.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Well; simple question since I'm now obsessed with playing DQ11 hehe... is a 1TB PS4 definitely good enough for a casual? I assume the answer is a big yes but want to be 100% sure before I invest (if I do). Secondly, is it completely safe to buy a refurbished OR *gulp* used PS4 from Amazon or should I just invest the extra money for a spit-shined brand new one?

Vorph

I would not sacrifice the warranty on a modern console just to save $30 or so (Amazon/Gamestop prices).

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Well; simple question since I'm now obsessed with playing DQ11 hehe... is a 1TB PS4 definitely good enough for a casual? I assume the answer is a big yes but want to be 100% sure before I invest (if I do). Secondly, is it completely safe to buy a refurbished OR *gulp* used PS4 from Amazon or should I just invest the extra money for a spit-shined brand new one?

I'd agree with not buying used unless you absolutely have to. Be sure to get a PS Pro though. It's worth it.

And DQ 11 is amazingly good. Love it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I'd agree with not buying used unless you absolutely have to. Be sure to get a PS Pro though. It's worth it.

And DQ 11 is amazingly good. Love it.

2 issues; I'm pretty damn poor... and I have a non-4k TV... it's just a very large HDTV which I don't plan to upgrade for a long time. That extra $100 seems beefy for me plus if I was going to actually buy a PS4 it'd be the FFXV bundle one which is the basic slim PS4. Thoughts?

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
2 issues; I'm pretty damn poor... and I have a non-4k TV... it's just a very large HDTV which I don't plan to upgrade for a long time. That extra $100 seems beefy for me plus if I was going to actually buy a PS4 it'd be the FFXV bundle one which is the basic slim PS4. Thoughts?

Then it is probably best to get a regular version. Rather upgrade to PS5 along with a 4k TV in a few years. Pro is great for some games, but not all, and mostly tied to visuals (4k HDR). Still would get it new though for the warranty if the savings is only $30.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Did you play The Legend of Heroes: Trail in the Sky? If you're not wanting to spend money I got that for like $10 on Steam from a recommendation here. A+++.

That being said if you DO get a PS4. Persona 5 is amazing.

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Did you play The Legend of Heroes: Trail in the Sky? If you're not wanting to spend money I got that for like $10 on Steam from a recommendation here. A+++.

That being said if you DO get a PS4. Persona 5 is amazing.

It's pretty good, right?

The trails games really set the bar for JRPG stories and world building imo.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
They should just have made it an option for either midi or orchestral.

They can't offer the orchestral track as the composer(Sugiyama) is a complete asshole who wants people to buy his albums/attend his concerts. Square does not own the rights to his work so they have no say.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah from what I've read on the subject it's an old shitty contract they signed from the days Squaresoft and Enix were separate entities, Enix being the DQ guys, and it's really fucked. They could drop him and get someone else, but then they'd have to give up all the DQ themes and shit because the composer apparently owns them, and since the games are heavily reliant on reusing the same themes constantly(3/4 of the music in DQ11 is stuff that was in previous DQs) that'd be a big problem. They could potentially sue him but it's not that likely it'd end up in their favor at which points they wasted both money and time for nothing either.

So it seems you'll just get shitty quality music in most future mainline DQs, which is super dumb. It'd help if they had better arrangments and more music overall though, even with MIDI quality I think it'd work ok and some tracks are actually good in DQ11, it's just so much of it is the overworld or main city theme that it gets really grating fast.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Dragon Quest is making me really mad. The stronger monsters option is no fucking Joke and Alizarin can suck my cock. His combo of bullshit consists of

1) Knocking everyone down and therefore getting 4 moves uninterrupted
2) One shotting Rab or Sylvando when the red mist is up
3) One shotting anyone else by hitting them followed by maelstroming

I guess I just need to grind because the damage output with double kabuff and blunt on is still beyond what I can handle