JRPGs

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Bought DQ11 on Black Friday. What a great game, I want to hate on it for being a tad juvenile, but then something cool happens and i forget.

DW1 is one of my all time life changing games. That was the first game and frankly anything of value in my life that i saved up for and "earned". The game was $80 back in 1989. That life changing moment taught me the value of a dollar and the value of a sweet game ;) It also might have been my first all nighter playing games.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
DQ11 is great, but if I have one complaint, it's the fucking music. I know it is out of SE's hands being unable to use the orchestral versions, but that MIDI screeching of the neverending overworld theme drives me mad. Can't do anything about it because I have it on PS4.

Been getting through FFX HD as I haven't beaten FFX since way back at release. I forgot just how fucking bullshit getting Tidus' sun sigil was. Whoever designed this minigame deserves to be dragged out back and shot.

joz123

Potato del Grande
DQ11 is great, but if I have one complaint, it's the fucking music. I know it is out of SE's hands being unable to use the orchestral versions, but that MIDI screeching of the neverending overworld theme drives me mad. Can't do anything about it because I have it on PS4.

Been getting through FFX HD as I haven't beaten FFX since way back at release. I forgot just how fucking bullshit getting Tidus' sun sigil was. Whoever designed this minigame deserves to be dragged out back and shot.
I just keep the game muted and I play music from Pandora. Fuck that midi shit. Otherwise it's a great game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have no problem with Midis. My problem is that they are shitty Midis. The quality of the tracks, and compositions is abysmal.

That world theme is fucking atrocious. The first time I heard it, I thought to myself "I have to listen to this for 80 hours?" I couldn't do it, and I love DQ. I am also one of those people who doesn't mute games. A good soundtrack is way too important to an RPG.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
My problem is the music is super overpowering

DQ has always been known for being more bombastic than the stringy and floatier sound of FF, but this particular soundtrack is just grating. TONS of games still use midis to great effect, but this particular instance is just terrible.

Koichi Sugiyama is a nazi about the rights to his music. If you look up his opinions about the music, you can see how his old ass just sort of forced this to happen. It was mostly greed that led to them doing this.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't mind that it's midi. It's a bit sad, but it is what it is. But its not background music at all. It's 100% foreground all the time.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hopefully he'll be dead by the next DQ rolls and they can put some real music on it. He's like 90 or some shit, so should be soon, although he's japanese so maybe not for 10more years. It was definitely the worst part of the game, especially compared to how good the graphics looked compared to most traditional JRPGs which tend to be like 1 gen and a half behind. It does get better kinda later in the game when the main overworld theme stops playing all the fucking time and they mix the other themes in, but it's really fucked up what they did with the game. Definitely mod it on PC, or just play some other music.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I find DQ11's music really really lacking, but the game is fun. I bought Disgaea 5 for PC, just because. Most other JRPG music completely blows DQ11 out of the water.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are there any JRPGS which are not built around running with through the game with followers? I've never been fond of games like that, though I'm not totally against it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I feel like most fans would underatand if they put new music in instead of relying on the old midis? I mean, yeah, ideal world would be official orchestral versions of the OG music, but in this case I think new modern sounding music would be preferable.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Are there any JRPGS which are not built around running with through the game with followers? I've never been fond of games like that, though I'm not totally against it.
Lightning Returns

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I feel like most fans would underatand if they put new music in instead of relying on the old midis? I mean, yeah, ideal world would be official orchestral versions of the OG music, but in this case I think new modern sounding music would be preferable.

"Modern sounding" really doesn't mean much. Midis have their own unique sound, and noting that is where Koichi is correct when talking about them, but these are simply BAD Midis.

There is this notion pushed that Midis are some kind of antiquated sound, but this isn't the case. It's just "different". The problem is that they are bad Midis.

I'm all for a good Midi soundtrack, or for that matter any good soundtrack, but a bad soundtrack is a bad soundtrack.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So a friend gave me his 360 after I mentioned I wanted to play Lost Odyssey finally. I can't be bothered wasting money on an Xbone and it seems like the game is never getting re-released to any other platform.

Sadly I missed the BF deal where it was like $8 for digital... anyone know if physical (used or Gamefly) vs. digital matters? IIRC 360 games had an option to fully install so I won't have to deal with disk swap bullshit either way, but I wondered if there was any difference in performance/whatever. And what about the DLC stuff, any of it worth getting?

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Big bump! DQ11 didn't have it's own thread and this thread is the closest thing to DQ11 discussion.

I JUST finished it last night!

What I did, stupidly enough, was "beat it" and I thought the post-game was just some extra tidbits and odds and ends to keep the game interesting after you complete it... how wrong was I?

So I restarted it (LoL), and did a 100% completionist run through it and followed through the post game and holy shit... it's not just a post game... it's still... the game. Absolutely fucking amazing piece of work they created. It's beautiful, it's simple, it's hilarious at times, it's overflowing with personality and style, it's just... it's literally just the best console game I've ever played. FF7 held that title in my mind ever since 1997, y'know? There's a new king in my world and it's this magical title.

For anyone that has played this:

20190211_122657.jpg

Ummm... yeah I think I've finished working on it :p

• 3Like
  • 1Repost
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Big bump! DQ11 didn't have it's own thread and this thread is the closest thing to DQ11 discussion.

I JUST finished it last night!

What I did, stupidly enough, was "beat it" and I thought the post-game was just some extra tidbits and odds and ends to keep the game interesting after you complete it... how wrong was I?

So I restarted it (LoL), and did a 100% completionist run through it and followed through the post game and holy shit... it's not just a post game... it's still... the game. Absolutely fucking amazing piece of work they created. It's beautiful, it's simple, it's hilarious at times, it's overflowing with personality and style, it's just... it's literally just the best console game I've ever played. FF7 held that title in my mind ever since 1997, y'know? There's a new king in my world and it's this magical title.

For anyone that has played this:

View attachment 194334

Ummm... yeah I think I've finished working on it :p

Now go play Persona 5. Thank me later.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Some big announcements in the Nintendo Direct today.

A new title by Square Enix/RPG Factory - Oninaki, launches this summer.

Rune Factor 4 for Switch, and Rune Factory 5 exclusively for Switch being developed.

Dragon Quest XI S / Definitive Edition this fall.

New game by Platinum Games (Kamiya, and Nier's director) called Astral Chain.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pretty fucking bitter that they have only announced the improved music for the Switch version so far. That 16bit mode looks pretty legit too, for those of us who have some nostalgia for the older DQ look.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I just didn't like DQXI at all. It had parts that felt good but the difficulty swings on the hardcore mode really irritated me and necessitated grinding.

I just beat Tales of Vesperia again and I really love that game. Everything about it is just fun.

The translation mod for Zero no kiseki (Trails in zero) is about to be released too, so keep an eye if you like that series. Also Cold Steel 3 pretty soon.