JRPGs

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
It's not that DQ11 is the perfect game period. It's that it is the perfect game for me (to sound unabashedly egocentric). But it's not a game "for me" so much as it's a game for life-long devotees "like me". As a huge fan of the DW/DQ series since DW1 at the age of I guess 7 or 8, it feels like what others are calling the game's glaring weaknesses are to me the precise things that make it perfect. It's as if Squeenix said, "Let's take the heart, soul and brain of the series from the 80s and give it a 2018 body". The game is littered with the classic DW trappings, and what may seem or feel simplistic in nature and somewhat at odds with the modern gloss of the game is the exact kind of stuff that's probably going over the younger gens heads and tickling old fans like me right in the feels.

Cannot speak any higher of this game right now, and I'm still relishing (oh so relishing) playing this game! Worth every penny spent!

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
For PS4? That sucks. Downloading the PC version now. Game is 11gb, high res texture pack is 30gb
Yes PS4 EU version is the only one delayed. Steam and other PS4 regions should be unaffected(EU is also AU on PSN I think so that might be the same not sure).

High res texture pack should be bigger, maybe you download the compressed version, but game is 86gb or whatever with high res texture pack supposedly. That's pretty fucking big, but at least they don't force you to download all that crap if you don't care.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
High res texture pack should be bigger, maybe you download the compressed version, but game is 86gb or whatever with high res texture pack supposedly. That's pretty fucking big, but at least they don't force you to download all that crap if you don't care.

Download was 30, but yeah, finished install is now 85106mb

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They delayed it for NA too, just until Friday though. I'd rather play on my PS4, but no way there's enough time to beat it including the postgame stuff between then and RDR2. Supposedly the PS4 JP version is only ~40GB so I kind of want to know if it didn't get nearly as good a 4K/HD treatment as the PC version.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am going to miss playing DQXI so hard. It is probably the most nostalgic game I've ever played to date. Almost 190h in, and trying to finish up accolades because Royal Jelly Flush and "the freeze" in Slime Quest are eluding me, but everything else is 100% completion.

I wish I could get amnesia for just this game.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
traveling to japan, 20hour flight decided to buy a jrpg,

went to gamestop ys8

never played this series, quick google showed it's good

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
traveling to japan, 20hour flight decided to buy a jrpg,

went to gamestop ys8

never played this series, quick google showed it's good

It's pretty solid. NISA fucked up the translation at launch but that should all be patched up now. One of my favorites from last year.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I think it's pretty much the same on Switch? Not sure about the fps in comparison to PS4.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Anyone play disgaea 5 pc port yet and if so how is it? I didn't play it on console either but loved 2 3 and 4, is it better/worse than those ones?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I played it. Its really good. If you liked the previous you'll know what you're getting with d5. The story sucks though, but meh there hasn't been a good story since la pucelle and D1.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
i don't need to know no backstory right? can just pick up and play? (or rather the wife)
Technically Ys is one big story, but each game tends to be disjointed in time so they're not needed to be played in order. Just you'll miss some references and shit like that but the stories are mostly self contained. Switch version has some FPS issues iirc, although shouldn't be too too bad.

• 1Like

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I played all the way through Ys 8 without playing any of the others and i didnt miss anything. You can tell theres a deep history with one of the characters who shows up way late in the game, but it doesnt have any impact on the story for this game.

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Went ahead and bought disgaea 5, now I just need my shift tonight to be over so my weekend can disappear in glorious grinding.

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Still playing DQ11... 2nd best game I've ever played but I'm heavily biased due to my love of DW1,2,3,4 and I realize that had I had no experience with playing these games back in my childhood, the game wouldn't be 1/4 as good as it is. The nostalgia of the game's themes and aesthetics is why I'm absolutely enamored in it and I think it takes an old-school fan to call this game incredibly amazing. As it is, I assume to non-fans of the franchise it merely comes across as a passable and okay JRPG title.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
11 is amazing from begining all the way thru the true ending.
The callbacks too DQ1-3 are fucking amazing too see