JRPGs

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Nice grats. Just curious, did you farm a bunch of stat pots for your dudes before doing the mode? I saw someone on twitch and they had like 700 attack dmg with Duran, I was like wtf? Some of these fights are really brutal. Oh and is Kevin in your setup because he isn't in mine and apparently he makes this a lot easier because of his insane damage.
Honestly i did nothing and jumped in with my last playthrough from months ago, fortunately had enough already prepared. Duran Angela Riesz although I used Riesz for the permanent stat downs she probably is best as an inactive but sharing both her Attacker abilities, since you can get +70atk -70def.

If I had known the mode was coming I would have farmed 99 of the good class 3 change items though, any that buff the whole party or debuff all enemies would be invaluable and I could have ditched Riesz for Kevin. Duran with Provoke I found especially useful since the enemy's "focus" would be on him all the time. Things like Xan Bie's heat beam would always target my Angela and apparently those are the abilities you would put Enigma on her so she wouldn't be the "target". Nuances like that only matter in certain fights but do influence dps uptime.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Honestly i did nothing and jumped in with my last playthrough from months ago, fortunately had enough already prepared. Duran Angela Riesz although I used Riesz for the permanent stat downs she probably is best as an inactive but sharing both her Attacker abilities, since you can get +70atk -70def.

If I had known the mode was coming I would have farmed 99 of the good class 3 change items though, any that buff the whole party or debuff all enemies would be invaluable and I could have ditched Riesz for Kevin. Duran with Provoke I found especially useful since the enemy's "focus" would be on him all the time. Things like Xan Bie's heat beam would always target my Angela and apparently those are the abilities you would put Enigma on her so she wouldn't be the "target". Nuances like that only matter in certain fights but do influence dps uptime.
Ah cool, my team is gonna be hawk, duran, reisz although seeing how absurdly OP Angela is right now with runemaster on my current expert run I might have to take her. What final boss did you face because I'm doing masked mage on an expert run right now and I swear this dude has to be impossible on no future. He's wayyyy harder than dark prince was.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ah cool, my team is gonna be hawk, duran, reisz although seeing how absurdly OP Angela is right now with runemaster on my current expert run I might have to take her. What final boss did you face because I'm doing masked mage on an expert run right now and I swear this dude has to be impossible on no future. He's wayyyy harder than dark prince was.
Angela/Duran Crimson wizard route, was a complete joke aside from the last stagger phase which has 8 different orbs you have to break. But it's a single hit ultimate for failing so crystalline and miracle ii take care of it.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Just beat 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim. It is one of the best games I have ever played. Never had a gaming experience like this. Hard to explain why the game is so good without spoiling anything. That is likely why the reviews seem off and dont really explain much of what makes it so great.

spronk

FPS noob
Just beat 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim. It is one of the best games I have ever played. Never had a gaming experience like this. Hard to explain why the game is so good without spoiling anything. That is likely why the reviews seem off and dont really explain much of what makes it so great.

awesome, my copy from best buy is being delivered tomorrow. itching to play something thats not taxing since id rather play that kinda thing on ps5.

if anyone wants to get a physical copy i'd do it soon, feels like one of those games that'll go out of stock soon. of course it'll always be available digital

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's -very- different as well. You don't get pets, you have a handful of characters (more like standard JRPG vs. pokemons) but otherwise it's very similar in that you run around, block, cast spells, and have your companions do stuff. The hitbox shittery of the first game is mostly cleaned up, so you aren't just watching your characters constantly miss attacks while they adjust a quarter inch.

Story is good; there's not as much Ghibli animation scenes as the first game, and it's got a little more modern feel to it. Extra dungeon is pretty fun in a random-floor bonus dungeon way.

spronk

FPS noob
13 Sentinels is $30 at amazon, gamestop, and i believe also best buy and maybe walmart/target. Platinum'd the game last week on my PS5, really enjoyed it and great sci fi story. Its 70% story and 30% very lite/easy x-com style combat, although you can ramp up the difficulty to insane levels if you really want. No reason to, you can get the platinum trophy on easy. Some heavy sci fi elements mixed with japanese aesthetics/setting.

Its by the same studio that did Odin Sphere, reminded me a bit of that game, so if you liked/hated that game, that'll carry over to here

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
13 Sentinels is $30 at amazon, gamestop, and i believe also best buy and maybe walmart/target. Platinum'd the game last week on my PS5, really enjoyed it and great sci fi story. Its 70% story and 30% very lite/easy x-com style combat, although you can ramp up the difficulty to insane levels if you really want. No reason to, you can get the platinum trophy on easy. Some heavy sci fi elements mixed with japanese aesthetics/setting.

Its by the same studio that did Odin Sphere, reminded me a bit of that game, so if you liked/hated that game, that'll carry over to here

I played this for a couple of hours yesterday, and so far it is not good.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
I played this for a couple of hours yesterday, and so far it is not good.

I beat the game and thought it was one of the best games I have ever played. The main appeal for me is the way the story unfolds and you figure out what is going on. Early on you have no idea what is going on but it starts to get amazing once the plot points start falling in place.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I beat the game and thought it was one of the best games I have ever played. The main appeal for me is the way the story unfolds and you figure out what is going on. Early on you have no idea what is going on but it starts to get amazing once the plot points start falling in place.
Maybe I’m just not far enough, but so far it’s walking around as random high schoolers talking to other random high schoolers that randomly warp into mechs that is sometime in the future to fight in what is possibly the most boring tactical rpg combat I’ve played

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It would have made a better anime than a game. I'm still working my way through it, but every time I get to the point where I have to do a bunch of battles to progress the story I put it down.

Speaking of JRPGs, Yakuza 7 is easily the best of the genre this year.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Maybe I’m just not far enough, but so far it’s walking around as random high schoolers talking to other random high schoolers that randomly warp into mechs that is sometime in the future to fight in what is possibly the most boring tactical rpg combat I’ve played

The combat is lack luster for sure. Can't explain why the story is good without spoiling anything. And avoid spoilers or it will ruin the experience of the way the story is told. That experience of the plot points coming together and figuring out what is going on is what makes the game so good.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Ok you guys gonna make fun of me, but you know I love anime niche games. I've been playing Conception II and find it really good, and actually am starting to become a fan of spike chunsoft games hahaha.. Woe is me.

Any key recommendations from them? I plan to play sequel to conception 2 next then robotics notes after that, but after that not sure what to pick up ^^.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Any key recommendations from them?
Well, the Danganronpa series, Nonary Games series, and AI: the Somnium Files are all excellent, but none of them are JRPGs.

Shiren the Wanderer is supposed to be pretty good if you like that type of rogue-like JRPG (i.e. the "mystery dungeon" style), but I've never played any of them myself.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
So would 13 sentinels possibly scratch that old Xenogears itch I get from time to time?

It has giant robots and a bonkers plot like Xenogears. But the narrative focuses around high school kids mostly. Xenogears is my favorite JRPG of all time and I like 13 Sentinels a lot.