JRPGs

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This sure looks pretty. Derp, repost.

Wish there were more well turn based options today. I miss the old school high budget JRPGs I grew up with.

AMA that talks more about the mechanics, sounds pretty cool. I liked the fortress stuff in Suikoden. Characters that had other professions than kicking ass in battle was pretty cool.

Last edited:

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm

No one was expecting any additions to the game but now you can get rabite slippers and some other perks.

edit: reached Level 33 on No Future mode, it's basically 1-2 hit KO on your playable character while your AIs are unkillable. Max of 3 uses per item means 3 rezzes per fight, 10 minute boss timers. All of the high end abilities are locked so you have to actually level and do mechanics properly.

Last edited:

Lumi

Vyemm Raider

No one was expecting any additions to the game but now you can get rabite slippers and some other perks.

edit: reached Level 33 on No Future mode, it's basically 1-2 hit KO on your playable character while your AIs are unkillable. Max of 3 uses per item means 3 rezzes per fight, 10 minute boss timers. All of the high end abilities are locked so you have to actually level and do mechanics properly.

Ya apparently they made like over 10x more than they were expecting to so they're gonna be adding more content to the game. I feel like they might actually add multiplayer to the game as that is basically the only thing that is now missing. The one thing I don't like about no future mode is you can only do it on characters you've completed the game with because you basically have to use twink items.

Also, I've found expert mode to absolutely be more difficult due to the fact that your AI's can be killed. Even with the 300% xp buff and significantly outleveling the content, expert mode has proven to be quite a lot more difficult than no future. Doing the harpy boss and the ghost ship boss were brutal. Basically my entire party ends up dying and I run out of my 9x wishes at around the 1/4th hp left on boss and have to spend like 5-10 minutes soloing it.

No future just seems really easily exploited. Can just have your main dude be like a super tanky Duran or something and have your AI's be full glass cannon builds. Can give them those buffs that make them do extra damage if they drop below x health and they should just wreck shit while you do decent damage yourself while being nearly unkillable and have massive heals with little need to rely on items.

p.s. you can skip the final credits now finally

Last edited:

Malakriss

No future just seems really easily exploited. Can just have your main dude be like a super tanky Duran or something and have your AI's be full glass cannon builds. Can give them those buffs that make them do extra damage if they drop below x health and they should just wreck shit while you do decent damage yourself while being nearly unkillable and have massive heals with little need to rely on items.
Reached the benevodons and I can safely say it doesn't matter which char/class you are if you get hit by a boss on No Future mode it will do 100% of your health. Now there are a few abilities in game that can prevent a death or nullify a hit and "exploit" it but the objective is to dodge everything or nearly everything.

The particular ability i've found seems like one of the better safeties: Miracle II (Charlotte Light 4) will drop you to 1 health instead of killing you if you started with >30% HP. Charlotte was not in my party but on the playthrough before I had her go light so that ability is still usuable with my Angela Duran Riesz. Here's the really OP part: if i control Angela and run low on MP I can get hit, Miracle II goes off, and it restores 40% of MP because of Archmage passive as well. Then Duran tosses a heal on her and it's ready to go again.

edit: Wind benevodon was ugly, basically trying to dodge half that fight and only get hit once in between heals. Cleared 6/7 and doing the fire for last but it's a slow dps crawl cause no way in hell can you actually clear all 3 altars to stagger it.

Last edited:

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Reached the benevodons and I can safely say it doesn't matter which char/class you are if you get hit by a boss on No Future mode it will do 100% of your health. Now there are a few abilities in game that can prevent a death or nullify a hit and "exploit" it but the objective is to dodge everything or nearly everything.

The particular ability i've found seems like one of the better safeties: Miracle II (Charlotte Light 4) will drop you to 1 health instead of killing you if you started with >30% HP. Charlotte was not in my party but on the playthrough before I had her go light so that ability is still usuable with my Angela Duran Riesz. Here's the really OP part: if i control Angela and run low on MP I can get hit, Miracle II goes off, and it restores 40% of MP because of Archmage passive as well. Then Duran tosses a heal on her and it's ready to go again.

edit: Wind benevodon was ugly, basically trying to dodge half that fight and only get hit once in between heals. Cleared 6/7 and doing the fire for last but it's a slow dps crawl cause no way in hell can you actually clear all 3 altars to stagger it.

Ya it seems you're right. I'm at the Bil and Ben fight and it's actual cancer. Everything else was pretty easy up til then but this fight is fucking dumb.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Fucking managed to accidentally overwrite my save file for my main game. Shouldn't even be possible honestly. They also really need to make it so that you can buy the vendored items for every character so that you aren't forced to only do the new game plus modes with only characters you've beaten the game with due to the fact that they require twinking.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This is probably stretching the definition of JRPG a bit, but I'm too lazy to create a thread for it.

Anyone tried 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim yet? I'm a big fan of Odin Sphere (and Dragon's Crown to lesser extent), but this one looks really weird. Reviews are fairly positive, but pretty much only game "journalists" reviewed it and their opinions are worthless.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
This is probably stretching the definition of JRPG a bit, but I'm too lazy to create a thread for it.

Anyone tried 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim yet? I'm a big fan of Odin Sphere (and Dragon's Crown to lesser extent), but this one looks really weird. Reviews are fairly positive, but pretty much only game "journalists" reviewed it and their opinions are worthless.

Have most the character stories at 80% right now and enjoy it a lot. It is a hard game to describe but ill try. The game is broken up into 3 parts. The main one is the story parts, plays sort of like an adventure game without puzzles. Walk around talking to people and the story is presented. These parts are not presented in chronological order and the way you figure out what is going on is unlike any game I have played. Another part of the game is the analysis portion, it is sort of like a glossary and as you see stuff in the game it gets update and helps with understanding what is going on. The analysis also shows you the chronological order of the story events you have seen so far so that you can help place them together. Normally id never want to look at something like this but it is a big part of the game and helping put the story together. And finally the combat part. Weakest part of the game it is like an RTS tower defense game. Isnt awful but isnt great. I would recommend it. The story is very good and told in a way I have never experienced before.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
I have been basically dead inside when it comes to gaming in 2020, i cant not find anything that scratches my itch. Finally sat down and have been learning LOL with my wife for shits and giggles but doesn't give me that quality gaming experience I am looking for.

I really enjoy meaningful choices and flexibility but more so with character development not necessarily the story if that makes sense. I like alot of build/class choices that i can try and build OP synergies with. Or abit resource limited where you need to decide where you want to focus your best gear etc opposed go to the next town have all the gold already in the world and buy everyone +1 more damage weapons.

I enjoy games with meaingful loot and some challenges that are optional that give you great loot etc.

I never played D&D in my 32+ years of gaming so and just never really enjoyed most the games strictly based on that (other then baulder's gate 2). I have POE I & II and Pathfinder that i just couldn't stomach. I bought Baulder's Gate 3 in hope it may not be so D&D rigid but just waiting for it to be fully released before I play around.

Even tried to go back to my favorite series of Disgaea and bought Disgaea 4 & 5 complete on steam but again just meh...maybe since i already know the end or what but just can't seem to enjoy the grind like I did the first time i beat each of the games in the series.

I have 3-4 darkest duengon type games that always seem like they may be a good mix but don't really like some of the stress/limited gearing/low level cap that come with the games. Aria Chronociles is one i recently bought and actually kinda enjoyed as it has some better character development/gearing etc but just wasn't quiet what I wanted.

Divinity 2 is a quality game but can't fucking seem to keep at it and always try to use too many mods.

Was really craving a good Might & Magic type game, MM6-9 and 10 legacy were games I actually really enjoyed despite there flaws. I bought Opercina today but it kept glitching graphically and refunded it as i have zero desire to fuck around with bugs/glitchs.

Got Othercide and tried to play XCOM2 again and just lost interest in both but definitely enjoy those type of games. Got Gear Tactics and seemed just abit superficial.

So ya...have probably $1000 of games in my steam library i can't force myself to play and deeply desperate for something to "move me" ideally with story and more importantly in character development. Like part of me is missing things like Tactics Ogre where you got a mvp for the fight who would get extra exp etc so you could snowball characters etc and pick different class paths. Just need something circa 2020...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I don't need a super high level of polish/AAA game but character optimization, class/build choices, gear etc needs to be more then tacked on layers. Almost restarted Sword City as that wasn't a bad game but when I got into it abit further it had some stupid part that made me say fuck it and delete hah.

Just downloaded Dragon Inquistion as that was one of the best games I played in the last 4-5 years but never finished so may just play that but seemed like builds were abit simplified after you got into it aways. Plus graphics glitched abit last time I played. I did enjoy the story and that scene when you went into your first big castle and the music etc like fucking MOVED YOU, like I wanted to be a better fucking person or go to the gym or do something after that scene haha.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have been basically dead inside when it comes to gaming in 2020, i cant not find anything that scratches my itch. Finally sat down and have been learning LOL with my wife for shits and giggles but doesn't give me that quality gaming experience I am looking for.

I really enjoy meaningful choices and flexibility but more so with character development not necessarily the story if that makes sense. I like alot of build/class choices that i can try and build OP synergies with. Or abit resource limited where you need to decide where you want to focus your best gear etc opposed go to the next town have all the gold already in the world and buy everyone +1 more damage weapons.

I enjoy games with meaingful loot and some challenges that are optional that give you great loot etc.

I never played D&D in my 32+ years of gaming so and just never really enjoyed most the games strictly based on that (other then baulder's gate 2). I have POE I & II and Pathfinder that i just couldn't stomach. I bought Baulder's Gate 3 in hope it may not be so D&D rigid but just waiting for it to be fully released before I play around.

Even tried to go back to my favorite series of Disgaea and bought Disgaea 4 & 5 complete on steam but again just meh...maybe since i already know the end or what but just can't seem to enjoy the grind like I did the first time i beat each of the games in the series.

I have 3-4 darkest duengon type games that always seem like they may be a good mix but don't really like some of the stress/limited gearing/low level cap that come with the games. Aria Chronociles is one i recently bought and actually kinda enjoyed as it has some better character development/gearing etc but just wasn't quiet what I wanted.

Divinity 2 is a quality game but can't fucking seem to keep at it and always try to use too many mods.

Was really craving a good Might & Magic type game, MM6-9 and 10 legacy were games I actually really enjoyed despite there flaws. I bought Opercina today but it kept glitching graphically and refunded it as i have zero desire to fuck around with bugs/glitchs.

Got Othercide and tried to play XCOM2 again and just lost interest in both but definitely enjoy those type of games. Got Gear Tactics and seemed just abit superficial.

So ya...have probably $1000 of games in my steam library i can't force myself to play and deeply desperate for something to "move me" ideally with story and more importantly in character development. Like part of me is missing things like Tactics Ogre where you got a mvp for the fight who would get extra exp etc so you could snowball characters etc and pick different class paths. Just need something circa 2020...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I don't need a super high level of polish/AAA game but character optimization, class/build choices, gear etc needs to be more then tacked on layers. Almost restarted Sword City as that wasn't a bad game but when I got into it abit further it had some stupid part that made me say fuck it and delete hah.

Just downloaded Dragon Inquistion as that was one of the best games I played in the last 4-5 years but never finished so may just play that but seemed like builds were abit simplified after you got into it aways. Plus graphics glitched abit last time I played. I did enjoy the story and that scene when you went into your first big castle and the music etc like fucking MOVED YOU, like I wanted to be a better fucking person or go to the gym or do something after that scene haha.
Have you tried a game called Everquest I hear that one’s pretty good

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Have you tried a game called Everquest I hear that one’s pretty good
Hahah, I tried earlier this year and as much of enjoyment as I got out of EQ it is abit too dated at this point. I did love AA's and was going to do a new server but just can't bear to do the first few expansions. FFXIV is too much on rails as much as I love the production quality and did play with my wife. WOW is garbage for my liking...so at this point really hoping Ashes Creation gives me a chance to get back into MMO's. I got the $150 package just incase it turns out ok so i can play earlier in beta but we will see. My $500 Crowfall account investment didn't pay off 4 years ago so not getting my hopes up for this one....

I have 3-4 hours each night plus empty weekends to play games and go to the gym typically so MMO wouldn't be a bad solution. Vanguard reboot WRU :(

• 2Faggotry
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
It honestly sounds like you’re a good candidate to get addicted to a mobile Gacha game but I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Mazim

Golden Knight of the Realm
Take a look at the Shin Megami Tensei games. Specifically, Persona 5 is the latest and greatest, but you can get Persona 4 on steam. Most of them are worth playing.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Oh my friend, me and the wife did one of the FF ones (not mobius or FFTK) and then Epic 7. I loved Epic 7 including pvp, game was just about perfect. Alas I have a pretty demanding job so can't dick around on it while working and having 2 of us playing it definitely got a bit costly vs. where else I could spend money. Funny thing was I had such amazing fucking luck in that game, think I had 3 new 5 star's i got in my first 5 pulls and then i'd let my wife spend $300 chasing because she got sad she didn't have.

So while i have the cash to enjoy a Gacha it just probably isn't the best option considering my competitive nature. Me and her do smite and now LOL for our time together so I just need something good for me. If Ashes is good i'll get her into that but that is easily 1-2 years out. The only game she wouldn't try was EQ haha which is sad because for a non-gamer it would have been perfect. Hit C-heal once a minute and collect loot.

Redownloaded Operencia and did abit tonight and its so-so, need to get a bit deeper. Just bought The Fall of Dungeon Guardians as I never heard about that, sounds like it has some good class variety/builds etc. One side you think oh geesh kind of dumb to spend 20-30 dollars on a game and play for a few hours and decide you won't touch again but you go out to the bar and 2 morgan and cokes are $24 so...meh.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Take a look at the Shin Megami Tensei games. Specifically, Persona 5 is the latest and greatest, but you can get Persona 4 on steam. Most of them are worth playing.
Thanks, I played Shin years ago and definitely not a bad game maybe i'll take another look whats all available. Struggled with the earlier Persona's social crap but did hear the latest were quiet the amazing game. I just am old fashion and don't really like present day/future/ settings, rather be immersed in a fantasy setting then deal with fucking highschoolers or futuristic bullshit.

Malakriss

Cleared Trials of Mana on No Future mode. Final post-game boss drops the rabite slippers. They are an accessory that makes monster packs ignore you so you can walk through freely.

I will finish leveling the party to 99 and probably class switch to the opposite elements so i can get those super gear sets as well, but i doubt i have it in me to do one or two more runs for the unused characters. Too much aggravation having to dodge practically everything on OHKO mode.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Tears of Avia just came out, its made by some of the same people that originally made Final Fantasy Tactics. I havent tried it out yet because ive been so busy in genshin impact. Would also highly recommend it.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Cleared Trials of Mana on No Future mode. Final post-game boss drops the rabite slippers. They are an accessory that makes monster packs ignore you so you can walk through freely.

I will finish leveling the party to 99 and probably class switch to the opposite elements so i can get those super gear sets as well, but i doubt i have it in me to do one or two more runs for the unused characters. Too much aggravation having to dodge practically everything on OHKO mode.

Nice grats. Just curious, did you farm a bunch of stat pots for your dudes before doing the mode? I saw someone on twitch and they had like 700 attack dmg with Duran, I was like wtf? Some of these fights are really brutal. Oh and is Kevin in your setup because he isn't in mine and apparently he makes this a lot easier because of his insane damage.