JRPGs

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Finished XBC 2 last night.

I think I sat at the last boss for 10 days not wanting to finish it. Doing blade quest and trying to max as much affinity as I could.

I started this game 3 times before it clicked. It is hands down my favorite JRPG of all time.

207 hours.

I am sure 50 hours is just idle sitting while it runs Merc missions but still... so much Content.

I did not get very far in 1 or X but own them both on old systems. I bout XBC1 DE when it came out and want he’s to finish 2 before I stared one.

Now not sure what I want to play. NG+ is calling but so is it 1DE and X. That and Ff8 and 9 sitting in the winds and codevien.

Anyway XBC 2. Best JRPG of all time imo.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
XC1 is also very good from a story standpoint and lots of content if you min / max stuff

XCX has a lot of stuff to do but the story isnt nearly as good (In my opinion, but it didnt bother me) but its got a lot of stuff to grind out and explore and I thought it was very enjoyable. If you like XC2 that much I think 1 and X would scratch the same itch and be worth the time

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
XC2 NG+ is basically all about maxing out the best blades in the game, since it's pretty unlikely (or just impossible) that you were able to get very far with their upgrades in NG. I had all the blades attainable in NG before the end, but if you don't it's also considerably easier to get them (and by 'them' I mean KOS-MOS since she's the only really hard blade to get) in NG+.

Also, don't forget about Torna. It's a really good prequel/expansion.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Finished XBC 2 last night.

I think I sat at the last boss for 10 days not wanting to finish it. Doing blade quest and trying to max as much affinity as I could.

I started this game 3 times before it clicked. It is hands down my favorite JRPG of all time.

207 hours.

I am sure 50 hours is just idle sitting while it runs Merc missions but still... so much Content.

I did not get very far in 1 or X but own them both on old systems. I bout XBC1 DE when it came out and want he’s to finish 2 before I stared one.

Now not sure what I want to play. NG+ is calling but so is it 1DE and X. That and Ff8 and 9 sitting in the winds and codevien.

Anyway XBC 2. Best JRPG of all time imo.

i finished XB1 DE this week on my switch, i really enjoyed it. I wouldn't really put it top 10 game for me by any stretch, but I found the world building and setting very unique and satisfying. I don't think I'll play XBC2 anytime soon though, I clocked 95 hours into XB1 (and probably only 80% done, didn't do ANY of the final chapter grind quests) and most of it felt very repetitive/grindy.

Similar to Persona 5, I'm glad I played but I think i'd want a 1-2 year break before I jump into the series again.

I do wonder if they will ever port the games to PS4 and PC, seems like it would do really well on those platforms.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
DQ XI Definitive Edition is coming to the west on December 4th - it'll even be on Xbox Gamepass - but it's an upport of the Switch version.

1) There will be some slight graphical downgrades.
2) It will only be available as a separate title (apparently $40), not as DLC for base DQ XI.
3) Also because its a separate title, no save data will carry over either.

Frankly, having to buy it again is a little bummer, but having to replay the whole game to see the 'extra' content rules this one out for me. Yeah, its my second favorite DQ after 8, but I've got too many games in my backlog I want to get to before I replay XI.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I did the full clear thing, got all achievements and shit, no way I'm replaying it anytime soon/ever though, it's just way too long and no replay value at all.

New Suikoden looks nice, but that's a 2023+ game and with japanese devs it's somewhat 50/50 if it's gonna be worth it in the end or not, even with the "dream team". Still I'll "buy" it on kickstarter when it goes up, then forget about it and maybe be pleasantly surprised several years later(like Bloodstained), or not, like a bunch of other kickstarter games.

• 1Solidarity

joz123

Potato del Grande
DQ XI Definitive Edition is coming to the west on December 4th - it'll even be on Xbox Gamepass - but it's an upport of the Switch version.

1) There will be some slight graphical downgrades.
2) It will only be available as a separate title (apparently $40), not as DLC for base DQ XI.
3) Also because its a separate title, no save data will carry over either.

Frankly, having to buy it again is a little bummer, but having to replay the whole game to see the 'extra' content rules this one out for me. Yeah, its my second favorite DQ after 8, but I've got too many games in my backlog I want to get to before I replay XI.
I stopped in act 2 so I will probably get the new PS4 version again if I dont have a switch by then. Faster battles and forge anywhere will be worth it.

spronk

FPS noob
my laziness pays off, I have DQ XI S but haven't even opened it, now i can trade it in and just wait for xbox gamepass version

be nice if the gamepass version also allows PC and cloud saves between the two but i'm guessing its xbox only. game is up already on steam though for Dec 4th

this will (eventually) be the first dragon quest i ever played even

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Last year I was at a convention and met this really cute redhead who was dressed as Alena from DQIV. We hit it off really well and got to talking about how she hadn't played DQXI yet but was going to very soon. I was like "I'd totally play that again with you" and she went "I'd like that". Unfortunately since I'm a bit of a dunce, when my friends swung by and I had to go, I didn't make any plans with her or exchange info then because I knew we'd both be there again the next day and I figured I'd wait and "ask her out" on the second meeting. So instead I was just like "hey, let's find each other tomorrow!" and she agreed.

Problem is, the next day I woke up sick and so I didn't make it down to the convention again and never saw her again. ...yeah, kind of a shitty story. Moral of the story is, if you meet a hot girl who loves Dragon Quest, DO NOT let that slip away.

In other news, finally resuming Breath of Fire IV Metalhead Metalhead . Just reached some sort of snowy mountain. Definitely past the halfway point, totally gonna finally finish the game. What is it about BoFIV that makes people stop midway through it and lose interest? Someone else in the thread did the same thing, can't remember who. The game just feels aggressively mundane. I'm gonna do it this time though!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Suikoden's successor Kickstarter is up btw, although apparently Kickstarter is having server issues atm so can't give them money. Game's already funded, they only wanted additional funds to convince their publishers to give them money and what not so it was set at only 500k, but it was funded in like an hour and a half or whatever it was up until Kickstarter died. PC is currently the main system surprisingly, with consoles being a stretch goal at 1m(which will easily be reached obviously). Their page has some interesting stuff to read, like how they took note of the failling of other japanese games, like people not getting their backer copies before retail release, having to pay additional taxes due to customs and the difficulty of porting the game to a large variety of system when not designed for it, especially systems like the Switch which is obviously not the best(have to redo textures and stuff to make it work there so it's a lot of work).

Anyway looks good enough for me, 33euros for the digital version, that's decent enough.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
was about to back but no switch version might be a deal breaker for me.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
was about to back but no switch version might be a deal breaker for me.
Yeah I could see that, they explain their reasoning about it pretty well and I could see it, it's not always worth it porting to switch since it takes a lot more effort and if it doesn't sell well you're out of luck. Granted I feel this would sell pretty well and be worth it but it would be better for them to decide once the game launched if they want to port it, rather than promise it early and then say "oops we're not doing it". Personally I'm gonna play it on PC so it was fine regardless for me. Also while this could change they do mention they're not going to do any exclusivity deal(EGS) so that's nice, I still would rather keep all my games on Steam when possible.

• 1Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
DQ8 on 3DS is so much better than the PS2 version. Fast battles and enemies on the screen make a huge difference.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Suikoden's successor Kickstarter is up btw, although apparently Kickstarter is having server issues atm so can't give them money. Game's already funded, they only wanted additional funds to convince their publishers to give them money and what not so it was set at only 500k, but it was funded in like an hour and a half or whatever it was up until Kickstarter died.
Anyway looks good enough for me, 33euros for the digital version, that's decent enough.

Gone up with 100% every time I've looked at it. I think the publishers should be satisfied that it's a product that people want.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Last year I was at a convention and met this really cute redhead who was dressed as Alena from DQIV. We hit it off really well and got to talking about how she hadn't played DQXI yet but was going to very soon. I was like "I'd totally play that again with you" and she went "I'd like that". Unfortunately since I'm a bit of a dunce, when my friends swung by and I had to go, I didn't make any plans with her or exchange info then because I knew we'd both be there again the next day and I figured I'd wait and "ask her out" on the second meeting. So instead I was just like "hey, let's find each other tomorrow!" and she agreed.

Problem is, the next day I woke up sick and so I didn't make it down to the convention again and never saw her again. ...yeah, kind of a shitty story. Moral of the story is, if you meet a hot girl who loves Dragon Quest, DO NOT let that slip away.

In other news, finally resuming Breath of Fire IV Metalhead Metalhead . Just reached some sort of snowy mountain. Definitely past the halfway point, totally gonna finally finish the game. What is it about BoFIV that makes people stop midway through it and lose interest? Someone else in the thread did the same thing, can't remember who. The game just feels aggressively mundane. I'm gonna do it this time though!
Why didn't you go down there sick and find her you pussy? Get her number and go back to bed.

• 1Like