JRPGs

Szlia

I have been playing through Dragon Quest XI (60ish hours in I think) and a part of it made me want to create a little youTube video.

It probably does not make much sense if you never played the game and is a (minor?) spoiler if you have not.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Playing through DQ11, first time playing one of these and am enjoying it quite a bit (about 12 hours in, team lvl 25 or so). However, the music is really starting to grind my gears - the same battle music every fight is getting extremely annoying and as good as this is, it's a pretty big step down from Persona 5 Royal (though that's not much of a mark against it I guess considering how good P5R is).

Really enjoy a few of the side characters, and it's a well written JRPG

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Playing through DQ11, first time playing one of these and am enjoying it quite a bit (about 12 hours in, team lvl 25 or so). However, the music is really starting to grind my gears - the same battle music every fight is getting extremely annoying and as good as this is, it's a pretty big step down from Persona 5 Royal (though that's not much of a mark against it I guess considering how good P5R is).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah the music is easily the worst part of DQ11. Not sure if you are playing the Definitive version or not but that version does have the orchestrated tracks which help a little(though I found the overall soundtrack to be kinda eh anyways).

Great game otherwise, one of the few long JRPGs I've played through twice.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
i finished DQ11 on xbox a few weeks ago and loved it, its goofy but i enjoyed all the fights and story. Lot of reuse, typical of JRPGs i guess

havent played most SMT games, i think only Fire Emblem 3 Houses and Persona 5 (no clue if those are related) so should be fun. not sure even when it releases lol

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
havent played most SMT games, i think only Fire Emblem 3 Houses and Persona 5 (no clue if those are related) so should be fun. not sure even when it releases lol

SMT3 Nocturne is out in a week, 5/25. Or this Friday if you cough up the extra $20 for the digital deluxe edition, which should have been called Baby's First SMT edition or something similar since everything in it besides the BGM packs and Maniax Pack (Dante replaces Raidou) is stuff like Game Journalist difficulty and cheater maps that only exist to let you farm endless amounts of items, money, and level ups. At first I thought it was kind of amusing that they tax people who can't beat it on the old school difficulties an extra $20 but apparently the Merciful DLC is a free download even if you just buy the base game. I think you have to pay if you want the cheater maps though. I went with the physical edition for Switch, since physical copies of SMT games tend to have very small print runs and will probably be collector items after a while.

Still not sure what's up with the Maniax pack. The remaster DLC description just makes it sound like cosmetic changes to cutscenes and the title screen, but the PS2 Nocturne Maniax edition had a hell of a lot more changes than just the Raidou/Dante swap. (Edit: Found info from the JP release, and Maniax DLC is just the Dante swap. All the other changes are in the base game by default now.)

As for the game itself, SMT has nothing at all to do with Fire Emblem, and at this point is only tangentially related to Persona. Personas and demons share art assets and names, that's about it. Some battle system similarities too, like hitting weaknesses for extra turns and such. Even on normal difficulty, it's likely the hardest JRPG you've ever played and not by a small margin. It's also not "hard but fair" or any of that stuff people are used to today. Nocturne is not fair at all. Even if you follow a guide and know exactly what weaknesses you need to hit (and need to avoid on your own demons), RNG can and will bend you over repeatedly. I've never even attempted Hard difficulty on the PS2 version.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I played DQ11 twice (once on PS4 where I 100%'d it, once on Switch where I mainly focused on 16-bit mode and played around). It's a great game. If you're a fan of Chrono Trigger/Cross, DQ11 comes off a lot like what Chrono Break probably would have been if they'd ever made it. The Toriyama designs, time travel comes into play later on, the villain is a bit similar to Lavos, etc.

I agree that Persona 5 is better, but DQ11 is worth sticking with and is probably the 2nd-best JRPG on the system.

In any case, I'm playing Ys Origin right now and I've got a question if anyone knows the answer: I know you have to play both characters all the way through to unlock the third character and beat the game "for real". Does it all have to be on the same save file (like, is there a New Game Plus type thing) or can you play both characters concurrently? Cause I'm getting a bit tired of the story I'm on and would like to start a new game with the other character and maybe alternate between them. I'm probably 60% of the way through the game on the character I'm playing as so I could just power through and THEN start a new game to be safe, but I'd rather start a new game now as long as having two different save files for the two different characters will still count for unlocking the third character. If Intrinsic Intrinsic or any other Ys-heads know the answer let me know.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I played DQ11 twice (once on PS4 where I 100%'d it, once on Switch where I mainly focused on 16-bit mode and played around). It's a great game. If you're a fan of Chrono Trigger/Cross, DQ11 comes off a lot like what Chrono Break probably would have been if they'd ever made it. The Toriyama designs, time travel comes into play later on, the villain is a bit similar to Lavos, etc.

I agree that Persona 5 is better, but DQ11 is worth sticking with and is probably the 2nd-best JRPG on the system.

In any case, I'm playing Ys Origin right now and I've got a question if anyone knows the answer: I know you have to play both characters all the way through to unlock the third character and beat the game "for real". Does it all have to be on the same save file (like, is there a New Game Plus type thing) or can you play both characters concurrently? Cause I'm getting a bit tired of the story I'm on and would like to start a new game with the other character and maybe alternate between them. I'm probably 60% of the way through the game on the character I'm playing as so I could just power through and THEN start a new game to be safe, but I'd rather start a new game now as long as having two different save files for the two different characters will still count for unlocking the third character. If Intrinsic Intrinsic or any other Ys-heads know the answer let me know.

I actually haven’t done Ys Origin yet, so am not sure. Sorry.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
On the PC version, you simply need to finish the game on either character to unlock the 3rd char. On consoles you need both Rajaah Rajaah . If you meant on consoles, no idea how it works tbh but I'd assume they don't have to be on the same save, since you don't get a New Game + really, just different modes that don't count for unlocks.

• 2Like

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am digging the shit out of SMT3: Nocturne. I love the style, the music, and I really enjoy the darker tone that SMT has compared to Persona(I dig me some Persona too, though).

spronk

FPS noob
DQ XII Flames of Fate announced, no release date or platform so probably years and years away

and Dragon Quest Treasures

and Dragon Quest 3 remaster in Unreal Engine

no dates or platforms for either

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Man I wish they'd remake FF6 like this instead of the mobile washed up abomination.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Taking a break from DQ11 (so fucking long holy shit... kind of wish it ended after the first "last boss"). Good game but just need a little break.

Fired up Yakuza Like a Dragon... fucking lol. Just got Poundmates... not what I was expecting.

Game is weird as hell, but I really like it so far. Great humor and world building. Cutscenes etc are a bit of slog sometimes though. Having a great time playing it.

• 1Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
Y7 is great. Probably the best story out of them all and I like Kasuga more than Kiryu. I'm starting a replay on PS5.

• 2Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
On chapter 5 of Y7

what a crazy way to scratch my turned based JRPG itch in a modern setting.

took a while to get into (omg long long long cut scenes)

I kinda wish I could find a story chapter summary guide so I could skip a few cut scenes.

• 2Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
On chapter 5 of Y7

what a crazy way to scratch my turned based JRPG itch in a modern setting.

took a while to get into (omg long long long cut scenes)

I kinda wish I could find a story chapter summary guide so I could skip a few cut scenes.
Even if you skip all the cutscenes it's still like a 70+ hour game if you want to do everything in it.

Make sure you do the business management stuff early. You will make a ton once you max it out.