JRPGs

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I got bored with P5 (not royal) about 50-60 hours in, but it was my first persona game and I felt like I was missing too much without a guide which I hate. I platinum trophied DQ11 on ps4 and would have easily continued playing if it had more content, so that's my recommendation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Hi. I haven't read a single post in this thread, but I thought it was important to drop in and say that JRPGs fucking suck and anyone that likes them is a low-T weeb.

Let me know if I need to drop my opinion in any other threads for you weebs.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Let me know if I need to drop my opinion in any other threads for you weebs.
You should try the Final Fantasy XIV thread then, and discuss your opinion in detail with Flinch and Silas.

I expect at least two pages of detailed analysis from you.

• 1Worf

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Hey guys, finished Elden ring and torn between the following next:
Nier 1/2
Nioh 1/2
Wait for Strangers of Paradise
Dragon Age Inquisition.

Any suggestions? figured I'd ask in this thread.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Nier is an incredible game with an atmosphere all of it's own, i'd recommend playing those two and then play through the main questline of genshin impact and stop when you run out of story.

Personally i liked dragon age inquisition, but it can be a bit of a chore trying to hit every point of interest, like with the witcher 3. The story was forgettable.

I wasn't a fan of Nioh.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Nioh is basically it Sekiro but with a much more dark souls like play style. Major difference is that Nioh doesn’t use one large world, each mission has its own map that you select from an overworld. Some of the same maps are used for multiple missions, with different parts accessible with different enemies.

They are honestly pretty good games overall if you like soulsborne type combat. Gear system is more like Diablo though. Never played the original DLC if there was any, but the Nioh 2 dlc sucked. Unfortunately it was what unlocks the harder difficulty and higher gear tier though.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Chrono Cross Remaster dropped today. However reviews are calling it Chrono Cross "Remaster" because it's nearly a port. Looks like the resolution was scaled up, but as far as remastering goes, they only remastered the 3D character models and left the prerendered backgrounds pretty stagnant. So it's one of those games where all the character models stand way out against the background and it looks weird.

CC was one of my favorite games growing up, and the only game I ever stayed up for 3-4 straight days to play. I still think it has the best soundtrack of any game ever made, and at the VERY LEAST a top five ever soundtrack. So I'm sure I'll get this. Not sure if I want the Switch version for portability or the PS4 version for trophies, because the trophies look fun and I've never 100%'d the game despite how extensively I played it.

IDK though, the port is so low-effort that it almost makes me not want to give them my money on general principle

• 1Barf

Chris

Potato del Grande
Also thoughts on Genshin Impact?
Genshin is great, don't spend money on the gatcha you don't need to, massive amount ot things to do.

I just has the weeb game story problem of unskipable nonsense waifu dialogue.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Nioh is basically it Sekiro but with a much more dark souls like play style. Major difference is that Nioh doesn’t use one large world, each mission has its own map that you select from an overworld. Some of the same maps are used for multiple missions, with different parts accessible with different enemies.

They are honestly pretty good games overall if you like soulsborne type combat. Gear system is more like Diablo though. Never played the original DLC if there was any, but the Nioh 2 dlc sucked. Unfortunately it was what unlocks the harder difficulty and higher gear tier though.
What? Nioh is almost nothing like Sekiro except you can use a katana... Love both games and they couldn't be more further apart. Late reply but Khalan Khalan Honestly I would just skip Nioh 1 and get right into 2.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
What? Nioh is almost nothing like Sekiro except you can use a katana... Love both games and they couldn't be more further apart. Late reply but Khalan Khalan Honestly I would just skip Nioh 1 and get right into 2.
I’m comparing Nioh to sekiro thematically only. The gameplay, like I said, is much closer to dark souls with the differences I mentioned.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Chrono Cross Remaster dropped today. However reviews are calling it Chrono Cross "Remaster" because it's nearly a port. Looks like the resolution was scaled up, but as far as remastering goes, they only remastered the 3D character models and left the prerendered backgrounds pretty stagnant. So it's one of those games where all the character models stand way out against the background and it looks weird.

CC was one of my favorite games growing up, and the only game I ever stayed up for 3-4 straight days to play. I still think it has the best soundtrack of any game ever made, and at the VERY LEAST a top five ever soundtrack. So I'm sure I'll get this. Not sure if I want the Switch version for portability or the PS4 version for trophies, because the trophies look fun and I've never 100%'d the game despite how extensively I played it.

IDK though, the port is so low-effort that it almost makes me not want to give them my money on general principle

Yeah this is crap. They came out with a great teaser right at the same time as the remake/remaster was rumored/announced for some mobile game collaboration. I thought they might use the style of this:

But nope, you still get better upscaling on emulators than this "remaster".

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Straight up port with no optimizations, I hear you should avoid the Switch version especially.

See if the Steam version gets mods to improve matters in a month.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Straight up port with no optimizations, I hear you should avoid the Switch version especially.

See if the Steam version gets mods to improve matters in a month.

I just bought this. Didn''t do much, just the intro and got to the first area and did some fights. Lots of screen tearing and FPS drops, but forcing vsync fixed that.

It looks better than the original for sure, but for instance the FF9 emulator version with the AI upscaling mod looks better. Not sure if there is an equivalent for this game.

Other than that, looking forwards to playing it again. Haven't played this since it was released.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Either a bug or Square trying to remove older verisons of Chrono Cross from PSN with the release of the new one.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Either a bug or Square trying to remove older verisons of Chrono Cross from PSN with the release of the new one.

I believe they did the same thing (on phones) with old versions of the FF games when the Pixel Remasters came out. Yeah it's kind of shitty.

Almost as shitty as Dragon Quest 7 and 9 not being available in like, any modern form at this point. 1-6 and 8 are available on phones and some of those are available on Switch, but you're outta luck if you want to play 7 or 9 without having a 3DS. It's super weird that they keep leaving those holes in the lineup even as they continually re-release the others. And I'll be shocked if we ever get a US release of that new DQ10 single-player game, even though it'd print money. I replayed 1-6 and I've been holding off on 8 because I want to run 7 first, but it seems like my only option for that is an emulator. Da fuq.

• 1Like