JRPGs

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Googling it, it seems they're saying it's ~30hours, can anyone confirm it's not one of these indie 5hours RPG unfinished story thing? I've ran into a few in the past that weren't so bad, but clearly were like "Act 1 of a 4 acts game but who knows if the other acts will ever be released" kind of shit. I don't even mind if it's shorter, just under 10hours for a RPG usually is kinda too short to tell a decent story(I guess there's exceptions though).
I’m 11 hours in and don’t think I’m even close. There is a lot of little side things to do that have been keeping me busy exploring. It does not feel like a half-assed indie (I know the games you’re talking about) at all.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I think I tried tutorials of Tactics Ogre and Octopath Traveller 1 and 2 and immediately uninstalled them.

I'm not watching hours long "story" sequences with the promise of there being a game somewhere between them ever again. It's almost always insufferable garbage.

I'm replaying FF6 and the game has a ton of story without having to resort to extended boring sequences of character building.
Didn’t you like FF7 remake? That had a lot more retarded story shit than tactics ogre lol

TO is regarded as one of the best stories in rpgs too. It is loosely based on the Yugoslavian wars, lots of factions warring. Game has a couple genocides occur, multiple branching story paths. Even shows a kid get brutally murdered, entire towns burned with dead villagers everywhere. Shows a woman stab and kill herself. Not sure they would make that if it weren’t cartoony sprites.

Octopath yeah, that story was a bunch of pointless trash.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This full play through video is 16 hours.

I skimmed through the beginning to see where he’s at versus where I am, his 6:50 hour is where I’m at with 14 hours. I’m assuming that’s not his first playthrough and I’m playing fully blind. Guessing it will end up being a 25-30 hour game for me.

Edit: changed the times, didn’t realize I played that much more last night~

Last edited:

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You can easily add a few extra hours if you realize you fucked up some of the quests and didn't complete them in the best way, so you go back and redo them. Sienna's objective to steal 3 items is particularly bad for that, since you can easily screw up 1 of the 3 thefts by not really exploring the town and then you get 2 angel wings instead of a good accessory. Reloading that one means redoing the whole first sewer section again. Victor has a similar reward that can be messed up, but that one's just an instant reload if you mess up talking to people at the party.

Worst part about Sienna's three thefts quest is that you don't actually get the money that you're supposed to if you do it the correct way. Stealing the wallet and getting caught gives something like 500a, but dude forgot to add the money when you do it right. There's quite a few bugs actually, stats and passives don't always work right (like Kylian has two ATK up passives but you can't equip them both, and some % boosts give much less than they should, especially crit dmg % which doesn't appear to work at all).

I've seen people talk about game-breaking bugs late in the game which can softlock your progress too. It's a really good game, but definitely plays like something that just entered early access rather than full release.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Didn’t you like FF7 remake? That had a lot more retarded story shit than tactics ogre lol
Yeah the added "story" or rather, filler, in that game made it worse. It didn't start with that though, it had the classic bombing run mission with you controlling the character right away.

TO is regarded as one of the best stories in rpgs too. It is loosely based on the Yugoslavian wars, lots of factions warring. Game has a couple genocides occur, multiple branching story paths. Even shows a kid get brutally murdered, entire towns burned with dead villagers everywhere. Shows a woman stab and kill herself. Not sure they would make that if it weren’t cartoony sprites.

Octopath yeah, that story was a bunch of pointless trash.
Not 100% sure Tactics Ogre was what I tried, but I think it was. If a game front loads too much story without me being in control of my character, especially low quality character introductions, I'm out. Maybe start with the genocide.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah the added "story" or rather, filler, in that game made it worse. It didn't start with that though, it had the classic bombing run mission with you controlling the character right away.

Not 100% sure Tactics Ogre was what I tried, but I think it was. If a game front loads too much story without me being in control of my character, especially low quality character introductions, I'm out. Maybe start with the genocide.
It takes like maybe 2 hours to get to that. If you like tactics games at all you’re doing yourself a disservice, it’s one of the best ever made.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Picked this up and it’s really good. Made by a single dude which is insane for how good this is. It’s on sale atm on steam but I wouldn’t have cared if it was full price. One person I know loved it so much he tried on game pass for 6 hours then went to steam and bought it just to support the guy.

The way the overdrive system works and characters skills interacting with each other and swapping in and out makes the battles, even trash mobs, varied and interesting.
Wow why is this so good compared to every JRPG type I have played in the last decade. Dude nails it.

Vorph

Anyone know if SP from the reward board is retroactively applied to characters that join later?

I agree with people on Steam forums for probably the first time ever -- the crystal system is definitely the worst part of the game's design. I wish he'd just streamlined it like he did so much of the other stuff. Get rid of purity and the inventory cap and it would have been great.

Only other complaint I have about the game besides the bugs I mentioned before is that battles against multiple strong enemies are huge difficulty spikes. The fight for the second class emblem kicked my ass over and over because after a couple rounds they push you into overheat constantly and there's nothing you can do to stay out of it while still damaging them. The closest I got was two of them down but I was basically out of TP and couldn't get the fight under control before they wiped everyone with AEs. Should probably have just turned the difficulty down to get through it but I was being stubborn and probably made the fights leading up to the party split harder than it needed to be. I really regret not having the emblem before completing Kortara Mountain Range, but I also don't want to load a save and have to redo that boss fight.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know if SP from the reward board is retroactively applied to characters that join later?

I agree with people on Steam forums for probably the first time ever -- the crystal system is definitely the worst part of the game's design. I wish he'd just streamlined it like he did so much of the other stuff. Get rid of purity and the inventory cap and it would have been great.

Only other complaint I have about the game besides the bugs I mentioned before is that battles against multiple strong enemies are huge difficulty spikes. The fight for the second class emblem kicked my ass over and over because after a couple rounds they push you into overheat constantly and there's nothing you can do to stay out of it while still damaging them. The closest I got was two of them down but I was basically out of TP and couldn't get the fight under control before they wiped everyone with AEs. Should probably have just turned the difficulty down to get through it but I was being stubborn and probably made the fights leading up to the party split harder than it needed to be. I really regret not having the emblem before completing Kortara Mountain Range, but I also don't want to load a save and have to redo that boss fight.

I'm probably wrong, but Chained Echoes kinda looks/sounds like those OG Lunar games. Those tended to have a few major difficulty spikes too. I remember a bunch of RPGs from the mid to late 90's that had one or several battles in them that were much harder than anything else in the game and totally disrupted the difficulty curve. Since then I think RPGs have gotten much better at smoothing their challenge level, so when we're hit with big difficulty spike battles it really stands out.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm probably wrong, but Chained Echoes kinda looks/sounds like those OG Lunar games. Those tended to have a few major difficulty spikes too. I remember a bunch of RPGs from the mid to late 90's that had one or several battles in them that were much harder than anything else in the game and totally disrupted the difficulty curve. Since then I think RPGs have gotten much better at smoothing their challenge level, so when we're hit with big difficulty spike battles it really stands out.
I don’t think so. The emblem fights are definitely more difficult than the normal trash mobs but they aren’t massive spikes. They’re manageable…so far. I have four so far and was able to down each one first or second try…the second try ones I just adjusted tactics /characters.

The Lunar fights were more just “lol fuck you go grind for six hours before you try this again.” This game isn’t like that at all.

Last edited:

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider

It isnt like Lunar because as above, you cant really grind like Lunar required you to do. You have to know the systems in the game well and use the right skills.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Rajaah Rajaah the bottom line is you need to be playing this. It’s fantastic and well worth the time and price.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Rajaah Rajaah the bottom line is you need to be playing this. It’s fantastic and well worth the time and price.

Alright, I put it on the list. There are only a few things I want that I don't have (this, Timespinner, Crisis Core) so it's pretty high on the list.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game plays great on the Switch I assume? As someone mentioned before this seems made for it.

velk

Trakanon Raider

The crystals really don't make any sense, especially with them changing size when you remove them from sockets - what even is that ?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The crystals really don't make any sense, especially with them changing size when you remove them from sockets - what even is that ?
Just makes it so you can’t reuse the same ones indefinitely while only using minimal slots. Guess he’s trying to force you to try other stuff? Idk the point of it really.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This game plays great on the Switch I assume? As someone mentioned before this seems made for it.
Yeah you can pick this up and play for like ten minutes and put it back down. As someone else said it auto saves like crazy and you can save at any time yourself.

• 1Like

Vorph

Just makes it so you can’t reuse the same ones indefinitely while only using minimal slots. Guess he’s trying to force you to try other stuff? Idk the point of it really.
Yeah, I don't understand the logic behind crystals at all. It clashes badly with everything else he's done to make the game not tedious or grindy. I was wrong before; it's not just purity that's stupid, it's also the size thing as well as the 'artificial' (*) tag that gets put on the ones you fuse, preventing them from ever being used as fuse material.