JRPGs

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Vsync has nothing to do with monitors, I made a stupid in my last post. But turning it off did solve my hitching issue, my apologies.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm having a weirder issue but it could be related to my hardware. So far, I have just-fine FPS unless I'm in Heliodor. Something there in the main area (not "downtown") is making things noticeably choppy when it's smooth everywhere else in the game. CPU is below the minimum (old rig, haven't upgraded it or MB yet) but the GPU isn't. Every other area has been just fine so far; only Heliodor has resulted in frame chopping.

That said, I am apparently a lucksack for critical hits in crafting. I'm close to a 50% chance of +3'ing crafted gear so far, based on how many of them have been perfects~

I also didn't spend very long getting the 2-person pep quest complete, either. Erik zones, then MC zones next turn. Too easy! Erik's Scorched Earth power is ridiculously OP.

DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME WITH A KEYBOARD. <- Repeat this until it and either carpal tunnel or hand cramps sink in. Getting a controller for your PC will save your life.
I saw someone mention using real fullscreen removed some stuttering, not sure if you tried that.

For crafting gear I think it's just the early items being easy, I almost +3'd everything too, only got like +2 on an armor and +1 on some shield but everything else has been +3 so far even shit I had to give away for a quest.

The 2pep quest is pretty easy imo as they sync up pretty often, but the next quest is where it gets shitty, you need 3 specific character to pep together and then kill a specific monster during that pep buff thing, which sounds annoying as shit. I haven't tried yet though. Another quest involves farming some rare mobs so I'll see if I can do both together.

Malkav

French Madman
The 2pep quest is pretty easy imo as they sync up pretty often, but the next quest is where it gets shitty, you need 3 specific character to pep together and then kill a specific monster during that pep buff thing, which sounds annoying as shit. I haven't tried yet though. Another quest involves farming some rare mobs so I'll see if I can do both together.

Tried doing it last night. Got Erik and MC pepped up, tried to keep them like that as long as possible and waiting for Serena to pep up while stalling on the mob. Pepped up state finished on the same turn for the guys....only for Serena to become pepped up the very next turn. I was furious.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Anyone far enough into it to know if the difficulty becomes too easy without adding the option to make it harder?

I remember 8, and even 20+ hours in (never finished it) dungeons were a hassle due to mana and hp issues. That's why I didn't start it with any options turned on, but I also don't want the game to become trivial. Only a few hours in, so can easily restart it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I grinded a bit in the area but getting all 3 synced is stupid. I'll just progress the quest until I get Sylvio or whatever his name is, from what I read if someone is pepped and you bench him, he stays pepped until you take him out, so you can bench whoever peps out of sync, get the other 2 idiots synced, then before the fight with the mob you grab the benched guy(or girl) so you have all 3. It's my understanding that for the quest you just need to use the skill, not actually kill the mob with it.

Needless

Toe Sucker
It's just a party buff, once you cast it while fighting one. then kill the skeleton it'll give you credit.
That was the one that made me really complain about the shitty pep quests lol

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Man the US PS4 version runs so much smoother over the JP release, they have done a ton of optimizations too it.

Anyone far enough into it to know if the difficulty becomes too easy without adding the option to make it harder?

I remember 8, and even 20+ hours in (never finished it) dungeons were a hassle due to mana and hp issues. That's why I didn't start it with any options turned on, but I also don't want the game to become trivial. Only a few hours in, so can easily restart it.

Yes it does get much harder after a certain point, unless your a DQ vet I wouldn't play with the harder version config(The money one is fine but that's probably it.)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Needless

Toe Sucker
PC with a controller is probably the better way to play it?
I got it on PS4 though and its still great

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
So PS4 or PC for DQ XI?

Personal preference ?? lol 1 friend of mine grabbed the PC version so far, and other then some stuttering in towns(which he fixed by playing full screen) doens't have issues any were else though. But I'm sure with the PC version someone will remodel Puff-Puff too her Japanese version hahah

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
That quest to kill the rare "Golden Globe" cactiball is nucking futs. Death Dance in a level 14 area, seriously? o_O

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That quest to kill the rare "Golden Globe" cactiball is nucking futs. Death Dance in a level 14 area, seriously? o_O
It only killed one of my char but yeah the fight was pretty annoying. That's one thing I don't like about DQ, it takes way too long to get the stuff to deal with deaths. I think I have one yggdrasil leaf so far, the vendors don't have any, so anytime sometimes die they don't get xp and I have to go back to camp it's pretty annoying.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Did you guys use all your preorder skill seeds on the main guy? I've been saving mine because I have no idea who to give them to.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
I haven't used my preorder seeds yet, though I've been tempted.

I have, however, been able to consistently get the (PC) game to crash... by trying to initiate a certain cutscene as part of the main story. So I can't finish Gallopolis for the time being, because it loads the area, starts the scene, then 4 seconds later I'm looking at my desktop.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Did you guys use all your preorder skill seeds on the main guy? I've been saving mine because I have no idea who to give them to.
You get more than you should use, assuming you want to grind to 99 eventually. How many skill seeds you need per char to max all skills at 99:
Hero 14
Erik 3
Veronica 12
Sena 12
Sylv 12
Rab 5
Jade 3

Mind you if you don't plan on grinding everything, you can use them however you see fit, but I think it's fair to stop at 14 for the hero, drop 3 on Erik and that leaves like 1 I think?(it's 15 for preorder and 3 for edition of light or whatever iirc) you can use on whatever you feel like. You'll be able to grind them later, and technically, you don't really need to max all skills, since many are weapon specific so they're only relevant when using said weapon.

Assuming you do plan on using Erik for the entire game and you don't care about maxing everyone because you only plan on using one specific weapon type for each(for example not using spear/whip on the caster girls which isn't really much of a loss makes it easy to max everything else just from levels), I'd recommend dumping a bunch on him to unlock dualwielding asap, in the knife category. Since he can't use shields, he's essentially one slot down everyone else and unlocking dualwielding gives him a huge boost in damage output. Also the dagger shit is REALLY good in this game, since you can actually sleep bosses at a fairly decent rate which has great utility and also lets you do huge damage with his wake up follow up skill(does 6x damage on sleeping/confused targets, can use another to set it up too). The skill seeds will more or less be wasted if you do grind to 99 but if you don't need them on other chars, it doesn't really matter much in the end and using them on him early is going to be the best returns.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Del

Vyemm Raider
Grinding to 99 in DQ is a thing now? I remember the experience needed for levels past like 50-60 in the old games was insane.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Grinding to 99 in DQ is a thing now? I remember the experience needed for levels past like 50-60 in the old games was insane.
Yep. Grinding to 99 repeatedly was a thing in DQIX especially with the way that the highest tier grotto generation worked (had to level the same class to 99 ten or eleven times to basically guarantee them). Thanks King Metal Slime and Platinum King Jewel!

I actually raced a friend in 4th grade at seeing how high we could get in (NES) DQIV. He ended up getting 99s across the board and I had stopped in the 60s or so, as I recall. Alena was so overpowered with those Stiletto Earrings, since she was a crit machine by then.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well don't know if anyone will but it's worth mentionning for people who want to max out everything perfectly, with seeds being rare drops and shit you don't want to spend too much time farming them, but for most people it doesn't matter. I just don't really like the aspect of getting super strong at the start via DLC stuff so I haven't claimed anything or used anything(even the cool looking DQ8 armor set). But that also means I only just unlocked dual wield on Erik at 17(using one skill seed I found in a chest).

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
This guy death dances? He only hit me with the dance that disables you for a few rounds, still an annoying ass fight.

Also a PSA, if you switched into full screen from windowed make sure you set the resolution back to 1080p. For some reason, at least on my machine, it got set to 720 when I switched.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Jade though, that big tiddy queen :oops:

i havent played since the weekend since WoW/Siege/other shit released, i need to grind it out tonight. Im fiending for it now lol