JRPGs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I stopped playing wow to play DQ11, because wow became a game of daily chores. I like the lighthearted feel of this game compared to ff15 and I really like the monster models. Fun game thus far if you jonesing form something more old school felling and I was.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
This guy death dances? He only hit me with the dance that disables you for a few rounds, still an annoying ass fight.

Also a PSA, if you switched into full screen from windowed make sure you set the resolution back to 1080p. For some reason, at least on my machine, it got set to 720 when I switched.
Yeah, he Death Danced. I eventually won the RNG battle there and got him and the spitzfire quest done.

Now I just have to wait for a patch to fix the cutscene crashes I'm getting that the "tips to fix" others used don't solve! Yay!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
My only complaint so far is the inability to save and quit if you need to go do something.
Once you're far enough(like 10hours or so? I think it's when Veronica joins you) you get Zoom which lets you teleport basically everywhere you've been like fast travel, so you can Zoom to a campsite and hit a statue pretty quick. You can technically just leave after zooming anywhere too since it autosaves on zone change which zoom does, so it's not that bad, although I'm not sure on loading times on consoles if you play that, but for PC it's just a few seconds.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
My only complaint so far is the inability to save and quit if you need to go do something.

Its alot better now vs how it used too be... churches only really sucked for the earlier games...

Need them to get this out for switch.

There working on it, hahaha (I'm amazed they didn't just port the 3DS version for switch)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Quick tip for those that are having issues completing the specific "have x people pepped and combo this rare monster" quests:
When you get your 5th person and can switch out members of the party, pep doesn't go away for the character switched out. So if someone is a pain to get pepped (serena) just swap her out for another character for a few battles until the other folks get pepped. Once they both are, flee the battle or win quick so you don't lose it, swap her back in, then evac/zoom from wherever you are to the location you need to drop the ability. That spitzfire quest gives you some fur crafting items that basically require you to be in the next area anyway to really take advantage of, unless you are farming the shit out of spitzfires and stealing a lot.

Game is A+ DQ. Loving it so far in basically every aspect hah.

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I'm really loving it so far with the difficulty modifiers on.

Hard to find time to play it though with MHW and Spider-Man just coming out.

Quality problem to have at least.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Quick tip for those that are having issues completing the specific "have x people pepped and combo this rare monster" quests:
When you get your 5th person and can switch out members of the party, pep doesn't go away for the character switched out. So if someone is a pain to get pepped (serena) just swap her out for another character for a few battles until the other folks get pepped. Once they both are, flee the battle or win quick so you don't lose it, swap her back in, then evac/zoom from wherever you are to the location you need to drop the ability. That spitzfire quest gives you some fur crafting items that basically require you to be in the next area anyway to really take advantage of, unless you are farming the shit out of spitzfires and stealing a lot.

Game is A+ DQ. Loving it so far in basically every aspect hah.
I was hardcore and didn't use this trick to get the spitzfire quest done! /flex

One thing I've discovered is that I'm so OCD that I need about 400 pearls for crafting just to get the perfection backlog done. Even had some items hit full gauges in one hit because I'm overleveled for them lol?

I am noticing they've upped the quality of the writing a little, relative to other DQ games for story:
I'm referring to the sequence at Dundrasil with Rab and Jade, and mostly how they portrayed Jade in particular, such as the confrontation with Hendrik.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
WTF some bitch tricked me into getting a puff puff from her father. What is this world coming to. lol

• 1Worf

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
DQ11 is so long, holy chriiiisssst lol
Pretty standard shit for jrpgs nowadays I feel like. P5 was also fucking long.

But yeah I'm like 64hours in and I feel I'm at least 10-15 off the end based on what I've explored, and then there's a bunch of postgame shit too it seems.

I really like that they made it so you can switch characters whenever(although it obviously costs them a turn) and they all get full xp, the last few boss fights I've liked thinking about how to rotate fuckers in to do things then rotate them out. Difficulty feels less bullshitty in the 2nd half of the game too, less "oh well no way I'm doing this without grinding 2+levels" kind of thing, in fact I haven't grinded in like 20hours I think and I'm not killing much stuff either.

Also I really like the characters. Sylvando is especially great, not just some shitty joke of a character like you'd assume, he's actually really nice. Serena is probably the worst so far because she's so fucking bland, but I haven't gotten to her story arc yet so we'll see.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got this from GameFly and I think the disc is bad. It looks ok, no scratches or anything, but it took three tries to install the game (progress bar would switch to a "pause" icon at about the 95% mark) and the first time playing the opening cutscene it crashed with a disc read error. First game rented or bought I've ever had a problem like that with.

Should I be playing with any of the Draconian stuff turned on? Most of it sounds dumb but I wasn't sure about the XP one. If I'm just going to end up grinding later then I don't see much point in shorting myself on XP at the start.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
I discovered the ursa panda today while trying to check off all the monster encounters. THAT was good times with everyone charmed.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Got this from GameFly and I think the disc is bad. It looks ok, no scratches or anything, but it took three tries to install the game (progress bar would switch to a "pause" icon at about the 95% mark) and the first time playing the opening cutscene it crashed with a disc read error. First game rented or bought I've ever had a problem like that with.

Should I be playing with any of the Draconian stuff turned on? Most of it sounds dumb but I wasn't sure about the XP one. If I'm just going to end up grinding later then I don't see much point in shorting myself on XP at the start.

You get abilties later that make the XP challenge a joke. The only ones that are a challenge are "Shypox"(this one just makes the game longer), "all enemies are super strong" , and obviously "No running away" the shopping becomes a problem if trying to do all sidequest, most of them you have too craft the item/look for other way's too get them.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

Harder enemies is pretty required if you want any sort of challenge, the base difficulty is basically easy. You can turn it off if you really dislike the difficulty but you can't turn it back on(unless playing on PC obviously, then you can edit shit).

The others don't really matter and don't really make the game any more interesting, they're just there for a challenge, although combining some of them with harder enemies is pretty crazy. For example the no armor one with harder enemies makes every fight a fucking RNG fiesta, and if you do the xp reduction for low enemies too so you can't grind out and be overleveled some bosses will be borderline impossible unless you land CC on the first turn and keep them CCed basically and will require a lot of nonsense damage stacking strats that you wouldn't necessarily come up on your own on a first playthrough.

And even then I don't know about the bosses that act 3 times a turn and have strong physical, I feel they'll just melt your ass with no armor, that and fights where you're forced with a limited amount of characters(often just the Hero for example).

So yeah, don't go turning on everything as it'll be a chore, but the difficulty one is pretty required. It might have you grind out a level or two here or there for boss fights and think of efficient strategies but that's what makes the combat fun imo.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Dont know what it is but really digging the way the graphics are done in DQXI.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, it's very similar to the cel shading that was done in DQ8, just way better thanks to modern hardware.

Just got to the
Yggdasil orb fun and the game is awesome. The only hard boss I've run across, even with harder enemies, was the Mural, and only because I did it without anything to remove beguile hah. Ended up being a war of attrition; the hits were super hard though so I was probably a bit underleveled. I kill enemies to get them added to my book and then I run forward to the next sparkly; haven't had to grind anything except the sprites near Yggdrasil to spawn the gold version. Gained 4 levels before I got it completed, so I'm sure that'll have a small impact on the next fight or two.

Amazing game; can't believe how long it's been since a big console DQ game out. So much better than on a handheld.

• 1Solidarity

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I like the most of the art and graphic engine itself but Toriyama eyes are still a goddamn abomination.

So much better than on a handheld.
Funny you should say that... I swap the DQ11 disc back into in my PS4 after playing Spider-Man or whatever because of how well it works on Vita RemotePlay and with Tomb Raider out Friday I'll probably end up with the vast majority of my DQ11 playtime on the Vita while not at home. Even that is a huge step up from the 3DS version though.

• 1Like