JRPGs

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Just getting into chapter 2, only 2 major complaints are the "lvl cap" and removal of the mvp bonus from original. Lvl cap just makes me want to fucking scream, I'd even be fine if it was in a few certain key fights to ensure a few random tests of pure "tactics" etc but I just hate anything remotely limiting choice. Haven't had any hard fights up to this point so not saying I NEED to go grind etc but just hate that they take that option away...some people ENJOY getting OP and squashing the shit out of the main story. FFT that was always fun aspect of it. Oh well, more physilogical then anything just cring at seeing 'lvl capped".

Just did the octopus fight and recruited both. Looking forward to seeing what they can do.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I thought I would hate the level cap but it’s actually been fine. It removed the feeling that I need to grind with low levels and keep the high levels out because they would get too strong, leaving the lows further behind. I also just got some kind of charm for excess exp when at cap.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
I was reading people changing elements for certain classes, does your element influence stat growth on lvl up? Or just align better with certain abilities that maybe a class uses to enhance.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
No I think from memory its just a rock paper scissors type thing in battles. Air strong against earth and shit like that, so people change them so they dont have and unbalanced army of 10 water aligned combatants.

Rude

Potato del Grande
I ended up running death March to recruit Cressida before. Now that random battles are removed is this going to be a matter of prompted decisions? Also, sucks to lose random battle recruit gear

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I ended up running death March to recruit Cressida before. Now that random battles are removed is this going to be a matter of prompted decisions?
Yeah, it seems like you'll have to do everything the 'correct' way if you want to recruit Cressida.

• 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
They massively lowered the cframe requirements for the hidden ending and all the relation faction standings

That should spill over to Cressida too so she's likely recruitable with only one or two favorable choices.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Dunno, I'm not that far along, but I saw posts on reddit claiming that recruiting Cressida (and Deneb) was as bad as ever. Or worse.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
one of the best parts of Tactics Ogre was the huge final dungeon where you could get an insane amount of good loot for the game, i preferred TO to FFT but they were both stellar games. TO was tougher early on but once you got the hang of terrain, spells and got some of the classes opened up it wasn't too bad. Some Special Characters in FFT were broken (Orlandu) and using them made things easy-mode but not using them tended to make things pretty rough if you had a bad loadout. The avatar scrolls / weapons late game in TO could do this as well and basically break combat.

if you like the tactical rpg's then there is tons of hours of content in Tactics Ogre waiting for you and its worth the money. I don't feel its worth full price for the remaster if you already played the original unless your gaming slate is just completely empty or you have tons of time on your hands

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
one of the best parts of Tactics Ogre was the huge final dungeon where you could get an insane amount of good loot for the game, i preferred TO to FFT but they were both stellar games. TO was tougher early on but once you got the hang of terrain, spells and got some of the classes opened up it wasn't too bad. Some Special Characters in FFT were broken (Orlandu) and using them made things easy-mode but not using them tended to make things pretty rough if you had a bad loadout. The avatar scrolls / weapons late game in TO could do this as well and basically break combat.

if you like the tactical rpg's then there is tons of hours of content in Tactics Ogre waiting for you and its worth the money. I don't feel its worth full price for the remaster if you already played the original unless your gaming slate is just completely empty or you have tons of time on your hands

Yeah, FFT's lategame balance is off quite a bit because of Orlandu (and to a lesser extent Meliadoul). If you use him/them, the game is easymode. If you don't use him/them, the game is way hard.

A couple years ago I replayed FFT with an "FF4 party". Paladin (Knight with White Magic), Dragoon, White Mage, Summoner/Black Mage, and Ninja.

Like 80% of my runtime was grinding to actually get the party to the state I wanted in terms of abilities etc. Then they pretty much flew through the game until I reached Riovanes Castle and couldn't beat Velius at all with that group. I don't think the group would have gotten much further than that without Orlandu either.

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, FFT's lategame balance is off quite a bit because of Orlandu (and to a lesser extent Meliadoul). If you use him/them, the game is easymode. If you don't use him/them, the game is way hard.

A couple years ago I replayed FFT with an "FF4 party". Paladin (Knight with White Magic), Dragoon, White Mage, Summoner/Black Mage, and Ninja.

Like 80% of my runtime was grinding to actually get the party to the state I wanted in terms of abilities etc. Then they pretty much flew through the game until I reached Riovanes Castle and couldn't beat Velius at all with that group. I don't think the group would have gotten much further than that without Orlandu either.
Unlock calculator.... equip holy robe, CT 5 holy. Whats a difficulty?

• 1Galaxy Brain

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
FFT is all about abusing shout on Ramza to give him like 10 turns to everyone else's one, and then using the monk class to run around like Saitama one punching everything. Best playthrough.

Harvestella is a switch/PC farming game thing. I will save everyone on the fence some money: wait for a sale. $60 is way too much for what you get.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
FFT is all about abusing shout on Ramza to give him like 10 turns to everyone else's one, and then using the monk class to run around like Saitama one punching everything. Best playthrough.

Yeah, I did that on one playthrough too. Have to do it on the Wiegraf fight sometimes. Just run away from him Shouting until you can one-punch him, with Auto Potion offsetting the Lightning Sword attack when he catches up.

Blows my mind that they put that super-punishing fight right after a no-return save. The game's biggest misstep probably.

Unlock calculator.... equip holy robe, CT 5 holy. Whats a difficulty?

I consider that kind of thing to be in the same vein as using Vanish/Doom in FF6 or a one-shot code in KH3. At least Orlandu is part of the story, Calculator is just a broken thing they never finished and left in.

So yeah, without using any massive cheese tactics, FFT is very hard with a normal party and no Orlandu / Meliadoul. Even Agrias is a bit OP, just less so. My Paladin/Dragoon/Summoner/White Mage/Ninja group was getting demolished in the lategame and it was actually a fairly strong party, just lacking guest characters.

• 1Like

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I did that on one playthrough too. Have to do it on the Wiegraf fight sometimes. Just run away from him Shouting until you can one-punch him, with Auto Potion offsetting the Lightning Sword attack when he catches up.

Blows my mind that they put that super-punishing fight right after a no-return save. The game's biggest misstep probably.

I consider that kind of thing to be in the same vein as using Vanish/Doom in FF6 or a one-shot code in KH3. At least Orlandu is part of the story, Calculator is just a broken thing they never finished and left in.

So yeah, without using any massive cheese tactics, FFT is very hard with a normal party and no Orlandu / Meliadoul. Even Agrias is a bit OP, just less so. My Paladin/Dragoon/Summoner/White Mage/Ninja group was getting demolished in the lategame and it was actually a fairly strong party, just lacking guest characters.
I used to really be into challenge runs, so I did a bunch of solo class runs where you can't use any abilities outside of your chosen job. There are certain fights that have killed entire runs *cough* Weigraf *cough* and many of the final battles can be chores

• 1Like

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I used to really be into challenge runs, so I did a bunch of solo class runs where you can't use any abilities outside of your chosen job. There are certain fights that have killed entire runs *cough* Weigraf *cough* and many of the final battles can be chores
The real challenge in that fight is that you need to steal his sword.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
FFT is easy to break even without OP characters like Orlandu or Calculator class. Mainly because there’s tons of abilities that you can mix and match with all of the classes available. Manipulating Faith and Brave can make a lot of abilities like Blade Grasp pretty broken

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
FFT is easy to break even without OP characters like Orlandu or Calculator class. Mainly because there’s tons of abilities that you can mix and match with all of the classes available. Manipulating Faith and Brave can make a lot of abilities like Blade Grasp pretty broken
Auto potion + sell anything but xpotions is pretty solid. Makes a team of 5 chemist one of the easiest solo class challenges

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
FFT is the hardest gave you've ever played...the first time you play it.

Any subsequent playthrough is just a fuckabout of how badly you can roflstomp it

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I will say that if you attempt to go big in the Deep Dungeon it goes back to being pretty fucking hard. You start to need all that OP shit you were crushing the campaign with when everything you fight has twenty levels on you. It's also big exp and you level completely beyond the scope of the actual endgame but it still gets nasty in there.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
FFT is the hardest gave you've ever played...the first time you play it.

Any subsequent playthrough is just a fuckabout of how badly you can roflstomp it
I wouldn't even call it hard for the normal gameplay - the Weigraf 1:1 fight just has an absolutely retarded save point right before and if you weren't doing multiple saves (siblings/parents that played the PS1 a lot; memory card space wasn't free for my 17 year old unemployed ass) can absolutely completely ruin a playthrough. Otherwise, if you didn't fall into that trap, you would eventually by just moving around the map and doing stuff be able to overcome the non-Deep Dungeon game.

Once you're aware of the retarded save trap, it's basically just playing with builds or abusing JP Up and the Squire ability. Absolutely everyone's second playthrough if they got tricked certainly involved grinding to avoid getting fooled again. And probably a lot of more careful save management just in case it happens again.

edit - a bit more on the Harvestella game

It's not bad, but it's a little mislabeled perhaps. People are being told it's like a Stardew Valley Final Fantasy, which is pretty incorrect on both descriptive types.
You only grow and process crops for the farming part. Some seeds are only found/able to be used during specific seasons, or in specific biomes, or only dropped from late game dungeons. That's cool, but the only things you do with any crops are effectively make healing items. Food items and "drinks" which are effectively the only reliable way to regain health in the main part of the game. You can sell them, but because you need them for food and space is somewhat limited, you end up (likely) keeping most of your crops to either complete the limited cooking quests or to turn into drinks/food. Animals? Sell all their drops or make food/drinks. Outside of like... 6? Instances, you don't use them for any actual quests, or to raise the affinity with your companions. Otherwise it's entirely just to produce food and drinks to regen stamina/health in the various dungeons.

The social aspect (a pretty big chunk of Stardew's lategame) ends up literally just being "Get mail, to to location, click through dialogue, done" repeatedly. There's nothing like needing to give gifts/talk to them daily/whatever that is the Stardew thing. There are also no holidays or festivals or any of that type of stuff. No birthdays, or events aside from Quietus, which is just a day when all your shit dies each season until you beat the main game story completely, and opens an optional dungeon that can only be entered during Quietus until you beat the main game story completely and open it up daily. The Stardew valley side of the game is entirely "farm to make food/juice to run the dungeons"

This takes us to the overwhelming majority of the gameplay - almost classic-mmo style "action" combat. I'll clarify. You basically cannot evade the vast majority of enemy attacks - think MMO auto attack. Stuff stays on you or can hit you at range and they just do it constantly. What they do that you -can- dodge is occasionally they will telegraph with a big ass red circle or something, which you can move out of the way to avoid. But combat mostly devolves around to being able to restore your health and do damage faster than the enemies can kill you. Typically spamming the basic attack while you wait for your 4 abilities (most the game you'll only have 2-3 at most; the 4th ability is typically locked behind making friends with everyone for every class by just doing the mail-chat cycle for them when available) - The classes are kind of cool and would be interesting if your NPCs held aggro or could heal or do anything that would make the auto-damage you take in combat more interesting/dynamic. They do not. Your mage will end up face tanking with two "melee" classes in the group almost nonstop, and you end up chugging drinks and eating food constantly if you aren't playing classes with defensive bonuses, because you can't avoid most of the damage. You can set up to three classes to swap between, but in most cases it's whatever one takes the least amount of overall damage or can do the absolute most damage (there's some pokemon style damage type strength/weaknesses but uh, it's much easier to completely ignore that and just focus on whatever pumps out the most consistent damage that isn't elementally based)

The bosses are actually not terrible, there's a lot more active gameplay/less automatic damage, and they have phases to some and some interesting if predictable mechanics. But that's it. The story also isn't bad as far as JRPGs go. Had a semi-nice "twist" towards the latter 3rd.

Had combat been more engaging than "drinking coconut milk nonstop whenever fighting the big FEAR monsters (100% 1:1 with FOEs from Etrian Odyssey, complete with specific movement styles and aggro radii/etc, and being 10-15 levels higher than the dungeon they show up in)" it would have been better on that aspect. Instead, it's moving around static dungeons with level/gear level (which directly determine your damage/defense with flat + numbers) with not much strategy in general. Some allies (you can have up to two at a time out of the 10? Supporting cast members) have super long cast times, and depending on how fast stuff dies, are uh, worthless.

Anyway, that all sounds kind of cynical/jaded, even though I generally enjoyed the game. It's just extremely shallow in most areas side from the boss fights when compared to Stardew or other farming/combat games like Rune Factory. It's about as Final Fantasy as Phantasy Star is, which means not at all aside from having JRPG style tropes/graphics. And the voice acting only shows up in combat; none of the dialogue is voice acted, which is hilarious for a $60 game. This is a $30 dollar title, and I'd wait for a sale before picking it up unless you just really want to play an ok game that isn't as good as Stardew/other farm games in the farm aspect, or combat in the... most JRPGs aspect.

Last edited:
  • 1Like