Justice for Zimmerman

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!
Status
Not open for further replies.

iannis

Musty Nester
If a judge tells me to disregard testimony all that means to me is that i'm not allowed to use that testimony during jury deliberations, and the foreman could probably rightfully tell you to shut the fuck up and sit down if you pursue an argument that includes "invalid" testimony. But as for your personal opinion? I don't think there's a person in this world that would "ignore" it, if they felt it supported their opinion in the first place.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
So Duppin and that other Tamooba faggot's racial trolling got the whole thread rickshawed?

Did you RRP the race-baiting trolls as well?

khalid

Unelected Mod
But does the jury even have that option? Someone said at one point that he's facing ONE charge -- Murder 2. And with how slapdash the trial seems to be, I find it credible they didn't include lesser charges. If he isn't charged with manslaughter the jury isn't allowed to even consider manslaughter, now is it?

N_ggers
Apparantly the prosecution can ask the judge to tell the jury to consider lesser included charges like manslaughter. So yes, it seems very possible that manslaughter could be a verdict if the jury just wants to punish someone.

I don't think they have shown anything close to manslaughter yet. All the evidence so far points to self-defense. No evidence points to him provoking Trayvon other than following him and then backing off, in fact he was going back to his vehicle when Trayvon approached him. Zimmerman then defended himself by shooting Travyon, after he was being ground pounded. That is clear self-defense.

iannis

Musty Nester
oh, whether he's guilty of manslaughter I don't know. But it sounds like a reasonable charge to make where murder is just unreasonable. There's no way I look at this objectively and think "hot blooded murder" but I can look at it objectively and think "was there a realistic option here which presented in the moment that involved not killing the kid?"

But that is such a boooooooooooring question to answer.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I just think, this trial notwithstanding, that its a super shitty element of the justice system that the government can overcharge you with 2nd or even 1st degree murder, usually as an attempt to get you to plea, and then when it goes to court go "uhh, yeah, we dont have enough evidence, but what about manslaughter??".

TheProfessor

Golden Knight of the Realm
Did the lead detective contradict himself when answering a question from the prosecutor about zimmerman's ill will and spite of his words from the 911 call?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I assume his attorney is going to press for a dismissal as soon as the prosecution rests.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Legal question for those in the know:

If Zimmerman is found not guilty (the likely outcome), can he sue the media for defamation of character (specifically NBC who misrepresented facts)?
As has been pointed out, he's in for a rough time regardless of the outcome of the case, and that's mostly because of how the media has presented it. I'm wondering if he has legal recourse.

Come to think of it, did they get his permission to air the trial on TV? Did they need to?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Legal question for those in the know:

If Zimmerman is found not guilty (the likely outcome), can he sue the media for defamation of character (specifically NBC who misrepresented facts)?
As has been pointed out, he's in for a rough time regardless of the outcome of the case, and that's mostly because of how the media has presented it. I'm wondering if he has legal recourse.

Come to think of it, did they get his permission to air the trial on TV? Did they need to?
He already is suing NBC, I'm not sure but I think the problem he's going to have is that he's a "public figure" now, and so its much harder in the US to sue for something like libel or slander than it would be in like the UK.

They didn't need his permission to air the case because of open records laws or some other similar legal mumbo jumbo.

Darshu_sl

shitlord
He already is suing NBC, I'm not sure but I think the problem he's going to have is that he's a "public figure" now, and so its much harder in the US to sue for something like libel or slander than it would be in like the UK.

They didn't need his permission to air the case because of open records laws or some other similar legal mumbo jumbo.
I think NBC is under the gun because of their amazingly helpful and socially responsible editing job.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wasn't there a guy that was being pinned with rape or something and was found innocent, he sued and got some money. Think he later killed himself because of it though.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>

Well, it was the media that made him a "public figure", wasn't it? It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

For the record, Hodj, I didn't give you enough credit for your explanation on how the media's portrayal of events shaped people's initial impressions on what happened. Sorry I got a bit defensive.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I still think there will be riots.. and I'm a little worried about it even though I live in MA.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I can see Detroit from here.

smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.