Justice for Zimmerman

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Well they're the Lizard Overlords, of course they're the most privileged of all!

What does "check your privilege" even mean? How do you do that? And why?
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/check-your-privilege

"Check Your Privilege" is an online expression used mainly by social justice bloggers to remind others that the body and life they are born into comes with specific privileges that do not apply to all arguments or situations. The phrase also suggests that when considering another person's plight, one must acknowledge one's own inherent privileges and put them aside in order to gain a better understanding of his or her situation.
Checking your privilege is basically a catch all way for rad fem and other minority bloggers to shut down all opposing points of view they disagree with. So if they say something like "Not all women have vaginas" and someone says "Well, actually, a woman is a female human and a female human is a human that expresses XX sex chromosomes" then they can ignore things like biological facts by telling you that you need to check your privilege and biofacts aren't real, only cultural conceptions are real.

Its the end result of political correctness being consumed by pseudo sociologists of the internet, digested, and then spit out in concentrated form.

iannis

Musty Nester
That's like the worst fallout character creation chart ever

frown.png

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
That'd be a good argument if any fixing had been done to date.

So far I'm not seeing it.

Unless you're arguing a generation entirely consumed with their own selves like we have with the Facebook Twitter generation is actually fixing the problems, rather than just repeating them ad naseum.

So far all I"m seeing is the Boomers have created, not new great generations which can fix their problems, but spoiled generations who intend to continue them.

I suggest you peruse some of the victimhood cults on Tumblr for an idea of what so called fixing is going on in current generations (read: None, none whatsoever).

Example 1: Check your privilege chart from Tumblr.

rrr_img_34192.jpg

yes its a parody but an accurate one
i regularly browse tumblr social justice warrior circles and it's hilarious.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm not in any communities that seriously use 'check your privilege' but on its face I don't see what the problem is with it. Nearly anytime I've gone through difficult times I've developed a more tangible appreciation for the challenges faced by people in those situations even though I've been able to previously empathize at an intellectual level.

iannis

Musty Nester
Where's the "not a degenerate mutant" option for Gender?

I'm trying to beat my previous high score, but that keeps tripping me up.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'm not in any communities that seriously use 'check your privilege' but on its face I don't see what the problem is with it. Nearly anytime I've gone through difficult times I've developed a more tangible appreciation for the challenges faced by people in those situations even though I've been able to previously empathize at an intellectual level.
On its face, its seems reasonable enough, sure.

Its when you let the social justice warrior crowd sit around with the concept in an insular setting where they self reinforce the absurdity until you get things like fat acceptance movements declaring thin people who work their asses off to stay that way privileged for being thin, or when they use "privilege" as a way to silence opposing points of view in a blanket fashion without having to even consider that maybe their point of view is wrong. Basically, check your privilege advocates are claiming that others need to ensure that they aren't coming at a debatable issue from a biased point of view, while using the concept of privilege to justify their own consideration of a debatable issue from a biased point of view. Especially when they use concepts of cultural privilege to pretend that biological or other quantifiable facts aren't facts simply because they disagree with them.

Its very reminiscent of Christians who try to refute things like the age of the Earth and other quantifiable facts because it doesn't conform to their world view.

it's a meaningless meme designed to either shame you or trap you into empathy.
A more succinct way to say it, yes. Its a meaningless term made up on the internet by psuedo sociologists and then repeated in an echo chamber as a way to silence opposing points of view through shame, or force them to agree with you due to empathy. Its an appeal to emotion, a strawman, and an association fallacy all at once.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
On its face, its seems reasonable enough, sure.

Its when you let the social justice warrior crowd sit around with the concept in an insular setting where they self reinforce the absurdity until you get things like fat acceptance movements declaring thin people who work their asses off to stay that way privileged for being thin, or when they use "privilege" as a way to silence opposing points of view in a blanket fashion without having to even consider that maybe their point of view is wrong. Basically, check your privilege advocates are claiming that others need to ensure that they aren't coming at a debatable issue from a biased point of view, while using the concept of privilege to justify their own consideration of a debatable issue from a biased point of view. Especially when they use concepts of cultural privilege to pretend that biological or other quantifiable facts aren't facts simply because they disagree with them.
How about when people justify a bad society because of the generation before them?

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
why is it that people who use check your privilege are often the very ones that are incredibly privileged to start with? Wealth, connection, education, and so on. They do not work in mines, forest, or any hard labour. It always baffles me that these people have no goddamn shame when they throw out "CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE" slogan all the while enjoying everything that a privileged individual would enjoy. By using their own logic, what gives them the right to shame others?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have literally never heard of this shit until about 90 seconds ago and I'm already enraged to the point of needing a new keyboard and underpants.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
picture spelled Saturday incorrectly therefore I call horse-shit.

also, what the fuck is 'cis'?
Don't underestimate the inability of people to type badly on the internet.

Cis is a term used in biology that means same, while trans is a term in biology that means opposite or different.

The terms are broadly used in biology but cis is used in this context as a way to denote a person who was born into the gender they identify with, as opposed to a "Transgender" who was born into a gender they don't identify with.

And yes, your privilege rating just rocketed up by not knowing that. You're really fucked now.

How about when people justify a bad society because of the generation before them?
That's an opinion based on quantifiable evidence.

I'm really not sure where you're going with this.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
This is not a parody

http://dearcispeople.tumblr.com/

This either

http://everydayfeminism.com/2012/11/...hin-privilege/

The following are examples of thin privilege that those of us who are seen by society as being physically "too big" experience regularly in our lives.
Examples of Thin Privilege:

You're not assumed to be unhealthy just because of your size.
Your size is probably not the first thing people notice about you (unless you're being thin-shamed - the opposite of fat-shamed).
When you're at the grocery store, people don't comment on the food selection in your cart in the name of "trying to be helpful."
Your health insurance rates are not higher than everyone else's.
You can expect to pay reasonable prices for your clothing.
You can expect to find your clothing size sold locally.
You can expect to find clothing in the latest styles and colors instead of colorless, shapeless and outdated styles meant to hide your body.
You don't receive suggestions from your friends and family to join Weight Watchers or any other weight-loss program.
When you go to the doctor, they don't suspect diabetes (or high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or other "weight-related" diagnoses) as the first/most likely diagnosis.
You don't get told, "You have such a pretty/handsome face" (implying: if only you'd lose weight you could be even more attractive).
People do not assume that you are lazy, based solely on your size.
You're not the brunt of jokes for countless numbers of comedians.
Airlines won't charge you extra to fly.
You are not perceived as looking sloppy or unprofessional based on your size.
You can eat what you want, when you want in public and not have others judge you for it or make assumptions about your eating habits.
You can walk out of a gas station with a box of doughnuts and not have people yell at you to "Lay off them doughnuts, fatty!" (This actually happened to one of my friends.)
People don't ask your partners what it's like to have sex with you because of your size.
Your body type isn't sexually fetishized.
You're more likely to get a raise or promotion at work than someone who is fat.
Friends don't describe you to others using a qualifier (e.g. "He's kind of heavy, but REALLY nice, though").
The media doesn't describe your body shape as part of an "epidemic".
You can choose to not be preoccupied with your size and shape because you have other priorities without being judged.
So you know, if you work out, eat less than 3000 calories a day, are active, fit and healthy, you should feel bad, because you're privileged not to have to bear the burden of being fat because you do eat over 3000 calories a day and don't move at all.

Thought experiment time:

Should smokers start referring to non smokers as "non smoking privileged"?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I can't believe we live in a society where I have to say I'm "cisgender".. I think on all applications for jobs I'm going to pencil that in.

i rated myself as having a nice face, but i dont qualify for the 9/10 criteria.

turns out im extremely influential.

Status
Not open for further replies.