Justice League (2017)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
No but comics come out monthly while the movies are once every 2-3 years. Going a movie or two w/o Superman would mean 5 years give or take before he shows back up. They originally planned for 2 JL movies about a year a part and he probably wouldn't have come back until the second one so it would have been closer to that under the original plan, but they scrapped that after BvS underperformed. Keeping him dead after doing that also puts another MoS movie on ice for even longer.

Last edited:

Royal

It amazes me that a 2 hour run time stirred up as much controversy as it did when the run time itself isn't indicative of much until you see how the movie is paced. You may get about half way through it and be glad there isn't an additional 20 minutes or so between you and the end of it.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
No but comics come out monthly while the movies are once every 2-3 years. Going a movie or two w/o Superman would mean 5 years give or take before he shows back up. They originally planned for 2 JL movies about a year a part and he probably wouldn't have come back until the second one so it would have been closer to that under the original plan, but they scrapped that after BvS underperformed. Keeping him dead after doing that also puts another MoS movie on ice for even longer.

they didn't scrap it after it underperformed. it was hinted pretty strongly in the movie itself that he'd be coming back.

Royal

they didn't scrap it after it underperformed. it was hinted pretty strongly in the movie itself that he'd be coming back.

They scrapped the 2 JL movie plan. Yeah the hint was obviously there but the when would have still left it a small shred of mystery if they still had 2 movies to play around with it. Cutting it to one to assess how they would move forward from there pretty much forced them to bring him back in the next movie.

j00t

They scrapped the 2 JL movie plan. Yeah the hint was obviously there but the when would have still left it a small shred of mystery if they still had 2 movies to play around with it. Cutting it to one to assess how they would move forward from there pretty much forced them to bring him back in the next movie.

i'm confused, are you saying that they scrapped the 2 jl movie plan based on how BvS did? and that because they scrapped the 2 JL movies, they left it much less ambiguous in BvS that superman would be coming back?

Royal

No no ... I'm saying that when they had 2 JL movies on the slate they could play around a bit with when Superman would return, the first or the second. Knocking it back to 1 movie pretty much forced them to bring him back in it. The clue was already out there at that point.

Last edited:

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
All the superman movies ran about an hour too long. Short running time for this franchise is not a bad thing. They can prove to me they can deliver something good, and then I'll start thinking about how long I can sit through it. Baby steps.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Every time I see a trailer for this I cringe. This might be the first major comic book movie that I download instead, followed by Black Panther.

I gave BvS a chance despite how bad it looked but this thing is straight bottom of the barrel.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Every time I see a trailer for this I cringe. This might be the first major comic book movie that I download instead, followed by Black Panther.

I gave BvS a chance despite how bad it looked but this thing is straight bottom of the barrel.

I agree - the trailers aren't doing it for me, and some of the scenes (I've bitched before the scene where Aquaman flys through a building then surfs out on a corpse and then does a cool landing) look so fucking stupid. I'm hoping that it's good. Would I like Batfleck and obviously Wonder Woman. And I like Cavil too. But fuck, please make these decent!

I will catch shit for this, but if its as least as good a BvS then I'll be relieved. BvS wasn't great, but I liked it enough.

• 1Like

Royal

With 2 weeks to go they've started showing it to critics and even those very general, I liked it/didn't like it, social media responses aren't being permitted. Contrast that with Marvel allowing them a month ago for Ragnarok. WB really has no confidence in this thing.

• 1Worf

ohkcrlho

With 2 weeks to go they've started showing it to critics and even those very general, I liked it/didn't like it, social media responses aren't being permitted. Contrast that with Marvel allowing them a month ago for Ragnarok. WB really has no confidence in this thing.
They never have confidence about their movies

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Do you think it is possible, in our lifetimes, to see a reboot of the DC universe that doesn't suck the soul out of the viewer?
Will the fail of this franchise signal the end of the comic/hero movie era?
dc-1.jpg

• 1Picard

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Do you think it is possible, in our lifetimes, to see a reboot of the DC universe that doesn't suck the soul out of the viewer?
Will the fail of this franchise signal the end of the comic/hero movie era?
I don't, because Marvel is still putting out good, entertaining ones, even if not every time. Spider-Man: Homecoming did pretty well and Thor: Ragnarok is doing great and neither of those were the big "ensemble" ones. The failures of the DC movies, Fantastic Four, etc. are on the creators and suits, not any particular social mood. Marvel pretty much kicked off the hero movies and I'll be watching them to see if it might ever end myself.

• 1Like

Royal

WB is coming to the realization that they have, traditionally, done pretty well with their comic book figures in solo movies. Most of the time. It's the ensemble efforts they're struggling with. They've been signaling a return to concentrating on those solo movies for some time now. If JL underperforms I think it will be a while before we see another full blown DC heroes team movie (Suicide Squad made so much money they'll want to move ahead with another of those soon) and they'll probably use Flash to retro tweak the shared franchise rather than go for another true reboot.

Last edited:

Royal

Wtf?! How the fuck do you spend 300M with ONE movie?

By essentially shooting two movies and cutting them together to make one.

This thing is gonna clock in at twice the cost of Blade Runner 2049 but somehow I don't think I'm going to enjoy watching it half as much.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

They've decided when the review embargo will lift; the Wednesday morning before release. Less than two days before the early screenings start. They tremble in fear of the tomato over at WB.