Kayak and Canoe Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Environmental will be florida river kayaking. Some parts of river get kinda narrow so big hobie fishing barges wont work. Bonus points if I can also use it for fishing but NOT the primary purpose.

You can fish anywhere and with any yak. Get you a cuban yoyo and go crazy. The idea tends to offend sport fishers, but it's what a person who fishes for a living would use and is incredibly cheap and easy to store.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Friend of mine has a kayak and bass fishes in neighborhood lakes around Dallas and down to East, TX and north Louisiana. She has a trolling motor on it. I'll ask what brand she has. She fishes at least 3 days a week, sometimes spending a week at their camp and fishing everyday.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have experience with eddyline yaks?

Talked to a localish yak shop and they recommended avoiding pedal yaks on the river I'm gonna yak due to debris and shit. They recommended an eddyline carribean. Looking at the carribean 12 or 12fs.

Of course other options would be a wilderness systems or bonafide.

Borzak

Not that brand. But I wouldn't recommend a pedal kayak anywhere you are likely to run aground often. I had no problem folding my pedals up to launch and recover. But super shallow water would not be good and you might have to replace the flippers often.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Anyone have experience with eddyline yaks?

Talked to a localish yak shop and they recommended avoiding pedal yaks on the river I'm gonna yak due to debris and shit. They recommended an eddyline carribean. Looking at the carribean 12 or 12fs.

Of course other options would be a wilderness systems or bonafide.

The Eddyline boats are nice. They're fast and way next to nothing if you're car topping. Look pretty good if your main purpose is just paddle around / recreation. if you're going to do any heavy fishing it's probably not the boat you want. I think they make some sort of angler kayak though.

I'd probably stick to a Bonafide for a non pedal drive boat, or something similar if you're going to fish a bunch.

Here's a decent review of the caribbean, though. Looks like the 12 has a better seat than the 10.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
The Eddyline boats are nice. They're fast and way next to nothing if you're car topping. Look pretty good if your main purpose is just paddle around / recreation. if you're going to do any heavy fishing it's probably not the boat you want. I think they make some sort of angler kayak though.

I'd probably stick to a Bonafide for a non pedal drive boat, or something similar if you're going to fish a bunch.

Here's a decent review of the caribbean, though. Looks like the 12 has a better seat than the 10.

Ya think i may go eddyline carribean 12.. gonna see if I can demo one locally. Hard part will be finding one...

• 1Like

Borzak

Seeing that photo with the trolling motor. Friend of mine has a kayak that she made a bracket to fit a trolling motor and a small battery. She posted video the other day I saw and that thing hauls ass. Looked like a death machine.

• 1Like

Borzak

Dropping it at the boat ramp and watching it slide all the way to the bottom, very loudly lol.

• 1Worf
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Dropping it at the boat ramp and watching it slide all the way to the bottom, very loudly lol.
Lol now everyones gonna cringe. I don't think I could own that. If I made something like that I'd probably hang it from the wall on display.

• 1Solidarity

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Lol now everyones gonna cringe. I don't think I could own that. If I made something like that I'd probably hang it from the wall on display.

I agree with this. I'd never buy it, as beautiful as it is. I'd rather have a practical, useable kayak. I'd pose for a calendar in it, though. :)

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone use a good tandem budget kayak? Looking to get into this. Also seen inflatable kayaks, what're peoples opinions on the inflatables?

Duskoy

Blackwing Lair Raider
Was looking into getting an Eddyline Sitka LT or XT for some ocean and bay use. Anyone try one of these things? Worth the cost?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Anyone use a good tandem budget kayak? Looking to get into this. Also seen inflatable kayaks, what're peoples opinions on the inflatables?
My brother has a Jackson Big Tuna. It's there tandem sit on top offering. He snagged his off Craigslist for maybe around 700.

He's been happy with it to take the wife and son out on it. Also been paddling the Colorado river for overnight trips, and when solo, there's lots of space for coolers and camping equipment.

It's 14 ft long so it can be fast but it's still a barge. My NuCanoe Frontier 12 can easily be made tandem and I know a lot of people do that.

Jackson also has the Kilroy DT. It's the tandem version of a hybrid sit inside / sit on top. I have the standard version and it's a very quick boat with lots of stability. Only issue is if you take on water you need to have a bilge pump. It's a very comfortable kayak and I would imagine that the tandem rig would be a nice boat. I'm guessing it's a little bit more expensive than mine, but I got a year old model a few years ago at a deep discount for around $1,000 from an outfitters in fort Worth that was liquidating inventory.

I think native watercraft has a tandem boat as well. You can always go with one of the cheaper big box brands. I know Malibu and maybe pelican has tandem boats but the seats are not as comfortable and they're definitely more just recreational. If you really want to do any fishing or long distance stuff you're better off looking at one of the dedicated brands.

• 1Like