Keyboards & Mice

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Corsair K65 RGB w/Cherry MX brown keys (ten keyless version of K70).

Pros: Build quality, clicky but silent, backlit, gay pride rainbow pattern enabled, built in USB out, small footprint
Cons: Expensive, ten keyless
Clicky but silent? I need to read up on a review of all the different types of mechanic switches. Maybe I'm not a fan of a certain type that I typed on, but maybe a fan of others? Again, not sure how I can improve upon my MS Ergo 4k, but maybe it'll happen!

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
Keyboard: Cherry MX-Brown, currently a Razer Blackwidow Stealth but looking at a WASD CODE Keyboard or a Ducky Shine
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Black

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Clicky but silent? I need to read up on a review of all the different types of mechanic switches. Maybe I'm not a fan of a certain type that I typed on, but maybe a fan of others? Again, not sure how I can improve upon my MS Ergo 4k, but maybe it'll happen!

wait, you're just getting your terms all confused, i'm going to treat you like a mech switch noob, since i don't know what you know.

Currently on the market for mechanical switch, is all going to be 99%
Cherry MX

They are differentiated by color and by color this is the internal switch itself (called the stem).

A basic popular break down is

Cherry MX blue - clicky/tactile
Cherry MX brown - silent/tactile
Cherry MX red - silent/linear
Cherry MX black - silent/linear/stiffer

Goto a bestbuy find a razer blackwidow or whatever and try typing on it, if it is not out on display, find the keyboard in a box, they will have the keyboard cutout for you try there then.

I initially suggested the Topre, b/c i thought you hated the Cherry MX and the Topre is really the only other mech switch option (and many love the feel)

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Goto a bestbuy find a razer blackwidow or whatever and try typing on it, if it is not out on display, find the keyboard in a box, they will have the keyboard cutout for you try there then.

I actually thought of doing this. The best buy in my area is so small they don't have any mechanical keyboards :( I gave up on buying one after that, I don't want to buy something tactile without feeling it first.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
wait, you're just getting your terms all confused, i'm going to treat you like a mech switch noob, since i don't know what you know.

Cherry MX

They are differentiated by color and by color this is the internal switch itself (called the stem).

I initially suggested the Topre, b/c i thought you hated the Cherry MX and the Topre is really the only other mech switch option (and many love the feel)
nice suggestion. I tried Staples hoping to be able to test the color switches, but was a no go.

Crone

Cherry MX

Well I've typed on my friends Corsair K70, and thats Cherry MX red.. and that was far from silent. That's seriously what you mechanical keyboard nerds think is silent? I guess in comparison to MX Blue switches it's silent? lol

Yeah, I'm gonna stay with my dome style keys, on my Ergo 4k, and be just fine I think. I didn't realize the red's were considered "silent".

Maybe the MX Brown's being tactile instead of linear I'd like more... but I doubt it. Mechanical keyboards just are not my thing.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I use mx browns, I prefer them to reds, maybe not quite as good for gaming but worlds better for typing.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Well I've typed on my friends Corsair K70, and thats Cherry MX red.. and that was far from silent. That's seriously what you mechanical keyboard nerds think is silent? I guess in comparison to MX Blue switches it's silent? lol

Yeah, I'm gonna stay with my dome style keys, on my Ergo 4k, and be just fine I think. I didn't realize the red's were considered "silent".

Maybe the MX Brown's being tactile instead of linear I'd like more... but I doubt it. Mechanical keyboards just are not my thing.

What you heard was likely the key bottoming out. That has nothing to do with the switch type. Ask your friend if he put rubber o-rings under his keys. I wouldn't use a mechanical keyboard without them.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I put o-rings in my corsair strafe (reds) and it's no louder than any of the rubber dome keyboards I owned before. The sound of the keys returning to their position is actually louder than bottoming them out.

Crone

So there's way to make the "click" quieter, or go away. Interesting. And then in theory, using a mechanical keyboard, after getting used to it is supposed to be faster and easier typing experience I guess, right?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So there's way to make the "click" quieter, or go away. Interesting. And then in theory, using a mechanical keyboard, after getting used to it is supposed to be faster and easier typing experience I guess, right?

Yes and no in my experience. Typing on a mechanical keyboard with the right switches feels a lot nicer, which can result in faster and easier typing. Different switches have different actuation forces and adding different size o-rings changes the distance to bottom them out and makes it quieter when you do. Not having to bottom them out to register a keystroke (unlike membrane keyboards) helps reduce fatigue as well. Mechanical switches also offer smoother resistance throughout the keystroke, whereas rubber domes offer more resistance up front.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Saw a guy a while back drawing (using AuoCad etc..) with a gaming mouse. I might look into it now that it's nearly impossible to get a digitizing tablet to work correct since the driver guy sued Summa for the rights and doesn't distribute it.

Only problem is they are very hard to try out. Nobody keeps more than one or two in stock.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Using a Roccat Nyth for my mouse. 9/10 would be 10/10 if it used mechanical switches.

Keyboard is a Corsair K65

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Unless you have the hearing of the gods, yes Cherry MX red is silent. What you're doing is bashing the keys to high heaven, basically the term "bottoming out"