Keyboards & Mice

Apollo64

N00b
The K70 is rather loud (and annoying to me) whether it's reds or browns. Couldn't stomach it and returned it after a week. As a stopgap i got a '16 Blackwidow Stealth, its switches are CLEARLY not as good as Cherry ones, but i like its inoffensive simple design and it gets the job pleasantly done without any annoying noise.

As for a mouse, i am using a Logitech G303, simply an amazing little mouse. I realise it's not for everyone because of its size/shape, but for me it's almost perfect.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The K70 is rather loud (and annoying to me) whether it's reds or browns. Couldn't stomach it and returned it after a week. As a stopgap i got a '16 Blackwidow Stealth, its switches are CLEARLY not as good as Cherry ones, but i like its inoffensive simple design and it gets the job pleasantly done without any annoying noise.

As for a mouse, i am using a Logitech G303, simply an amazing little mouse. I realise it's not for everyone because of its size/shape, but for me it's almost perfect.

you ppl are honestly crazy when you believe one switch on one board is different than another, unless it's plate mounted vs. pcb.

ya'll either bottom out w/o knowing or you need o-rings
http://amzn.to/2aSaTjy

back in my day we had to use dental o-rings cuz some guy was like, "oh shit i got braces, these fit my cherry mx stems, nerd power x2!!!"

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard
had the non-RGB version, and sent probably 4-5 of them back every few months as my LEDs were going out... as soon as one went out, it was like a domino effect.
fortunately, once they stepped me up to the RGB version, I haven't had any trouble since.
042252FA26D94CBDB78DF00C3839E082.ashx.png

Roccat Kone XTD Mouse
rockin strong for years. Love this mouse
gallery-kone-xtd-picture07-v1-1-80-000-830x490.jpg

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Alluded to this earlier, how do you try out a gaming mouse without first buying one then possibly another etc...I don't know anyone with one and the stores I'm lucky to see that they have one out for a display.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Alluded to this earlier, how do you try out a gaming mouse without first buying one then possibly another etc...I don't know anyone with one and the stores I'm lucky to see that they have one out for a display.

first break down if you want claw/palm or ergo grip, then just google for top 5, amazon/newegg and abuse the return policy.

however even staples have their mouse out on display, unless you live in some bum fuck town, try a tech store.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The K70 is rather loud (and annoying to me) whether it's reds or browns. Couldn't stomach it and returned it after a week.
You can put rubber bumpers under the keys, you can buy a bag of them for 15 dollars.

Apollo64

N00b
You can put rubber bumpers under the keys, you can buy a bag of them for 15 dollars.

My issues with the K70 wasn't just with the sound:

1) I hated the way it looked. I guess i am not a fan of brushed aluminium and that thick inflexible cord was cancer. Corsair has a dated industrial aesthetic for a lot of its products, which i am not fond of. I couldn't get the mental image of a PSU with keys out of my head. I just didn't want this thing on my desk. Obv this is very subjective and personal.

2) I couldn't type without making a million mistakes. Typing was very fast (i had browns), but the way the keys are bunched up and the height differences between the rows made the whole experience awkward. Didn't want to spend the time to adjust to it.

3) The software felt like it was designed by someone who worked in IBM during the '80s. Not a big deal for me, since i don't care much about clown fiesta LEDs, but it's worth noting.

The positives were that the keycaps were quality i guess (didn't smudge at all) and i liked the wristrest which i actually found useful during gaming, kept my hand really stable. Browns btw are definitely not ideal for gaming, they do not have the precision of reds.

In the end, i couldn't quite come to terms with it and i returned it. Ymmv, it's a very well reviewed piece of kit, it just wasn't for me.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So if I was bottoming out on the K70 I tried at a friends house, hence why it was loud as fuck, do you adjust over time to not bottom out, reducing the length of your keystroke, and hence making you type faster because of it? Is that the whole idea behind mechanicals and at least 1 reason why you type faster on them?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So if I was bottoming out on the K70 I tried at a friends house, hence why it was loud as fuck, do you adjust over time to not bottom out, reducing the length of your keystroke, and hence making you type faster because of it? Is that the whole idea behind mechanicals and at least 1 reason why you type faster on them?
The reason why you're bottoming out is b/c you've been using shitty ass rubber domes on the mserg4k.

again remember i rebuilt a msergo4k, and if i remember correctly (it's been over 10 years and my workbuild on GH is gone), the force of a msergo4k is around 90, which is double the required for Cherry MX browns of 45.

Basically you've been driving acade game racing car for all your life, just putting pedal to the metal.

Now you'll actually learn to drive and accelerate properly, with a mech board of Cherry blue/red/brown.

Crone

The reason why you're bottoming out is b/c you've been using shitty ass rubber domes on the mserg4k.

again remember i rebuilt a msergo4k, and if i remember correctly (it's been over 10 years and my workbuild on GH is gone), the force of a msergo4k is around 90, which is double the required for Cherry MX browns of 45.

Basically you've been driving acade game racing car for all your life, just putting pedal to the metal.

Now you'll actually learn to drive and accelerate properly, with a mech board of Cherry blue/red/brown.
That sounds legit as fuck if I was able to get used to it, which I think I could. Hmm...

You talked me into it Lanx, from 1 4k Ego lover to another!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That sounds legit as fuck if I was able to get used to it, which I think I could. Hmm...

You talked me into it Lanx, from 1 4k Ego lover to another!
here's my archieved 6 year old thread modding a msergo4k w/ cherry browns
MsErgo4k+CherryBn+TenKeyLess+G15+FootSwith+Abs plastic fab+TEkeyStaggering

trust me, 6 years ago there was nothing out on the market, had to resort to this!

i'm telling you this, cuz you've professed how much you think you like typing on it, and as you can see from my post not only did i mod it, but i had like 3 in my closet, "just in case".

but yes, a mechanical switch is that much superior that i went to all this trouble.

this was my second mod... i think?

Last edited:

Crone

I think I want to go with MX Brown's. I want a tactile feedback, but not a super click like a blue would give, or nothing like a red would give?

Brown's good for a beginner?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think I want to go with MX Brown's. I want a tactile feedback, but not a super click like a blue would give, or nothing like a red would give?

Brown's good for a beginner?
sure, generally i find a lot of ppl happy w/ browns, tho admittedly, once you get the "mech board" bug, you're then really interested in what cherry blues sound like (browns w/ click) and if you like the linear non tactile feel of a cherry red.

But browns are what most everyone gets.

i'm using modified browns in my keyboard.

Crone

sure, generally i find a lot of ppl happy w/ browns, tho admittedly, once you get the "mech board" bug, you're then really interested in what cherry blues sound like (browns w/ click) and if you like the linear non tactile feel of a cherry red.

But browns are what most everyone gets.

i'm using modified browns in my keyboard.
Is there any suggestions on where to get them? I remember from previous forums, and browsing the keyboard threads that they were pretty hard to find? Just super popular. Is that still the case?

Also, what's the warranty like? I'm going to Google if it's transferable... saw a K95 for $75 on Craigslist but had some lights out already, so could I send that in and get it fixed?

Also a K70 RGB with MX Red switches, for $80. Tempting!

Crone

Asked both the Craigslist people about invoices, and they don't want to give me their personal info which would be on the invoice.

Makes perfect sense, but without any recourse when the LEDs go out, I'm not sure I'm going to jump on it. Was the MX Reds anyway...

Last edited:

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
My K95 (pre-RGB version) has a fuckload of LED's out after about a year. Close to a dozen. It also occasionally seems to "freeze" or something when the computer is shut off or powered on. It doesn't appear to be a motherboard issue. Sometimes when I power up my desktop after not using it for a week or two, the keyboard will be basically dead. No lights, won't register any keystrokes. However, the wireless mouse dongle is inserted in to the keyboard's passthrough or whatever you want to call it, and it works fine (which is why I don't think it's a USB/mobo issue). The only way to get the keyboard working again is to unplug it and plug it back in.

My K70 at my office has been more or less flawless, though. I don't think any LED's are out (I have them turned off 99% of the time, though) and it hasn't frozen or anything like that. I quite like the typing feel of both the K70 and K95. However the quality of the K95 has been atrocious, in all honesty.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The first K95s were not particularly good on build quality. Corsair will replace them with new RGB ones if you complain.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider

I picked up a G302 yesterday. I'm liking it so far. The diamond is a little much, but it's hard to find a good smaller mouse these days.

Got to try some of the mechanical keyboards on display at the store and I was surprised how nice they felt. Got the itch now. I'll have to find a demo with some browns to figure out of the clicking can be kept down because it was way to loud.