Keyboards & Mice

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Playing a FPS with changing DPI based on heart rate sounds like the premise of some Japanese game show, though they'd also probably electrocute the contestant's testicles when they got shot.

• 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Spilled about half a coffee mug of water on my Corsair Strafe that I use at work. Using some beat up Dell POS til it dries out. FML

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Spilled about half a coffee mug of water on my Corsair Strafe that I use at work. Using some beat up Dell POS til it dries out. FML
Fortunately it was only water. Tipped it up on the end for the remainder of the work day, hot ride in the car in the way home, plugged it back in this morning and good to go.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Brief keyboard reviews:

Bought a GMMK2 96% barebones along with some of their Panda switches.

Panda switches - very obvious tactile bump, but it's at the immediate start of key travel so it just ends up being a hard to press key that blows through all of its travel and bottoms out immediately when trying to type without hammering. I gave up on them in under a week due to sheer annoyance. I want the tactile event to be right before/at when the key switch activates, not something miles before that just makes the key into a pressed or un-pressed switch. I need some pre-travel while building switch pressure so I can flip between registered and not registered.

Keyboard - decent for an $80 board, but I grew to get not enjoy the truncated 0 on the numpad (I'm an accountant, I'm constantly using the numpad all day) and the spaced and shifted arrow keys were also annoying. I have a 65% for my other computer when I'm working and I'm used to the arrow keys being directly in line with the enter key so my thumb knows where the edge of the down and up arrow are in relation to my middle finger being on the right edge of the enter key. On the GMMK2 layout that means my thumb is landing between down arrow and left arrow and I'm constantly hitting the wrong arrow key without looking. The software for the keyboard wasn't bad though, I could adjust per key lighting and remap keys easily enough compared to the nonsense I was going through flashing my Drop Ctrl. But Via compatible boards are miles easier.
1659026679773.png

Ended up buying a Keychron Q0 and going back to my Drop Ctrl for a bit. The Q0 is great and introduced me to Via and how simple it was to remap keys (moving num lock off away from above 7 is huge for not accidentally fucking everything while doing number entry). Putting delete or backspace there is way better. Full length 0 is also much better.

The Drop Ctrl was nice when it came out but was still a mass produced keyboard that lacked features the custom boards did like a separate top plate from the chassis (I have the high deck version and the top plate and the deck are one piece, so there's no flex or bounce when typing). The stock stabilizers are also rattly as shit. So I immediately ordered a Keychron Q3 after getting the Q0 numpad in. Just got the Q3 last night and swapped over my preferred switches (I'm a monster and I like the Kailh box clickies, mix of white and pink). Way better typing experience with the separate plate/pcb foam gasket mounting from the chassis. For a $200 (after shipping) board, this thing blows away the Ctrl ($280-ish). Now I'm just waiting on some absurd MT3 profile key caps to see how degenerate I can be with dumb key cap choices.

And I just found out that Kailh updated their Box White with a V2 and I have to order those and try them as well. This whole thing never ends...

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Brief keyboard reviews:

Bought a GMMK2 96% barebones along with some of their Panda switches.

Panda switches - very obvious tactile bump, but it's at the immediate start of key travel so it just ends up being a hard to press key that blows through all of its travel and bottoms out immediately when trying to type without hammering. I gave up on them in under a week due to sheer annoyance. I want the tactile event to be right before/at when the key switch activates, not something miles before that just makes the key into a pressed or un-pressed switch. I need some pre-travel while building switch pressure so I can flip between registered and not registered.

Keyboard - decent for an $80 board, but I grew to get not enjoy the truncated 0 on the numpad (I'm an accountant, I'm constantly using the numpad all day) and the spaced and shifted arrow keys were also annoying. I have a 65% for my other computer when I'm working and I'm used to the arrow keys being directly in line with the enter key so my thumb knows where the edge of the down and up arrow are in relation to my middle finger being on the right edge of the enter key. On the GMMK2 layout that means my thumb is landing between down arrow and left arrow and I'm constantly hitting the wrong arrow key without looking. The software for the keyboard wasn't bad though, I could adjust per key lighting and remap keys easily enough compared to the nonsense I was going through flashing my Drop Ctrl. But Via compatible boards are miles easier.
View attachment 424704

Ended up buying a Keychron Q0 and going back to my Drop Ctrl for a bit. The Q0 is great and introduced me to Via and how simple it was to remap keys (moving num lock off away from above 7 is huge for not accidentally fucking everything while doing number entry). Putting delete or backspace there is way better. Full length 0 is also much better.

The Drop Ctrl was nice when it came out but was still a mass produced keyboard that lacked features the custom boards did like a separate top plate from the chassis (I have the high deck version and the top plate and the deck are one piece, so there's no flex or bounce when typing). The stock stabilizers are also rattly as shit. So I immediately ordered a Keychron Q3 after getting the Q0 numpad in. Just got the Q3 last night and swapped over my preferred switches (I'm a monster and I like the Kailh box clickies, mix of white and pink). Way better typing experience with the separate plate/pcb foam gasket mounting from the chassis. For a $200 (after shipping) board, this thing blows away the Ctrl ($280-ish). Now I'm just waiting on some absurd MT3 profile key caps to see how degenerate I can be with dumb key cap choices.

And I just found out that Kailh updated their Box White with a V2 and I have to order those and try them as well. This whole thing never ends...

My wife’s Q0 came in yesterday or the day before and damn that thing is beefy and awesome. Just got her plain ole MX Reds but it really makes me want a Q3 or something similar for my work computer. You could lay someone out hitting them in the head with that Q0.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Mouse pads still a thing? I haven't used one in years mostly because lazy and it's no longer necessary for mouse functionality. Bought a new desk and noticed, just like on my old desk, I was essentially polishing the surface with my mouse. Parts of the pattern are wearing away too.

So, if only to protect my desk, what's a good mouse pad? No weeb shit. Would prefer no wrist rest either, I already get poor circulation in my mouse hand and I imagine elevating my hand will make it worse.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Mouse pads still a thing? I haven't used one in years mostly because lazy and it's no longer necessary for mouse functionality. Bought a new desk and noticed, just like on my old desk, I was essentially polishing the surface with my mouse. Parts of the pattern are wearing away too.

So, if only to protect my desk, what's a good mouse pad? No weeb shit. Would prefer no wrist rest either, I already get poor circulation in my mouse hand and I imagine elevating my hand will make it worse.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Love my

Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT Wireless Gaming Mouse, Ultra-Lightweight, HERO 25K Sensor, 25,600 DPI, 5 Programmable Buttons, Long Battery Life, Compatible with PC / Mac - Black https://a.co/d/gzsXPgA

800 dpi low sens flicks for the W

Logitech powerplay charging mousepad is a no brainer

Kais

<Gold Donor>

I've been using the cheap steelseries mousepads from amazon. I'm sure there may be better but this works to keep my wood desk scuff free. Just replace em when they get worn or dirty. I prefer the "large" at 18"x16" and just sorta tuck it under the other shit on my desk. Get one with a stitched edge to last longer.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Very nice for the price. Protects the whole desk. Putting a huge mousepad under your keyboard helps reduce typing strain.

If you hate the logo just sharpie it.

This might be a Chinese knockoff of same the already Chinese knockoff brand above for even cheaper:

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
That might be the ugliest mouse pad I've ever seen lol. I use an aluminum one I bought off Amazon and I love it. It should last forever too, like that one.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
That might be the ugliest mouse pad I've ever seen lol. I use an aluminum one I bought off Amazon and I love it. It should last forever too, like that one.
Yeah, it isn’t the prettiest thing. Still works for my purposes so haven’t felt the need to search for a replacement 🤷‍♂️
Maybe once we move back in post remodel, will be getting a smaller desk, might as well make some additional upgrades.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I like this for my workspace @ 47" x 12", and I haven't seen a similar range of custom sizes available from any other vendor.
1662311999493.png

I'm not the biggest fan of the design, but my wife likes it more than the GamersNexus one which was only @ 36"
1662312148411.png

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
View attachment 431591
View attachment 431592
That office makes me want to smoke a Marlboro cigarette and ask my old, fat secretary named Shelly, to send a fax to my business partner, Gary, saying we'll talk over dinner at the strip club later.

• 3Worf
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 5 users