Keyboards & Mice

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Even trying this for an hour its crazy how much reaching across the keyboard QWERTY makes you do. DVORAK has like no hand movement at all and feels way more natural.
It's honestly dumb as fuck that after type writers weren't a thing they didn't try and change everything but by that point, everyone was so used to QWERTY that maybe it wasn't worth it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It's honestly dumb as fuck that after type writers weren't a thing they didn't try and change everything but by that point, everyone was so used to QWERTY that maybe it wasn't worth it.
There was apparently an entire government/corporate faction that deliberately resisted it. To the extent that they falsified studies to prove that QWERTY was better. Just remember that QWERTY was developed in the 1870s and became the defacto "universal" standard for typewriters before the 20th century. Once typewriters lost the mechanical arms using QWERTY was unnecessary. It was developed for a specific need. That of not letting the key arms collide if you typed too fast.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
There was apparently an entire government/corporate faction that deliberately resisted it. To the extent that they falsified studies to prove that QWERTY was better. Just remember that QWERTY was developed in the 1870s and became the defacto "universal" standard for typewriters before the 20th century. Once typewriters lost the mechanical arms using QWERTY was unnecessary. It was developed for a specific need. That of not letting the key arms collide if you typed too fast.

Did not know this...

giphy.gif

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If I didn't have to type on a million different keyboards all over for work and was able to stay on my home computer all the time I'd make the switch. This reason is also why I'm not good at optimizing for a mechanical keyboard and always bottom out the keys because I don't type on mechanical all over the place so I never get adapted to the mechanical shorter keystroke. :(

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so i've been pretty ergo for about 20years, i've been rocking a kinesis for about 10years
Kinesis-Advantage-Keyboard-Review-800x400.jpg

and before that i made my own ergo keyboard out of a ms ergonomic 4000

this past month my mouse hand has been in constant "claw" shape and stretching it out felt like little elves were stabbing me. i got a litany of finger strength devices to squeeze and stretch my hands

i got a finger splint to wear at night
187cf327a6d7f923c8041dab7d90532f.png

and i feel my hand is 90% recovered

in a preventive measure... i've broken down and decided to get a vertical mouse, so i got the logitech mx vertical (i hate vertical mice)

while this the best vertical mouse i've used and feels really comfortable, it's so fucking "basic", doesn't even have mouse wheel tilt...

fucking 19year advancement in mousing, lulz

wow remember the ms intelimouse? ha

anyway my keyboard surface is wide enough i keep my g502 around just in case, but i haven't had the need for it

of course there are other options but i'm just surprised this is actually pretty good that if logitech comes out w/ a ver w/ more buttons i'mma get that too.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Well, I've finally worn out the last of my backstock of Drakonia Blacks and I can't find any stores selling them so it's finally time to find a new mouse. I'd prefer something wired, with programmable buttons that are spread out around all sides of the mouse instead of all being concentrated on the thumb. Anyone have any recommendations? For reference, these are what I've been using for the past decade: Drakonia Black - sharkoon.com

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I'm not sure Razer quite has what I'm looking for. Their Basilisk line is close, but it has one less programmable button than what I'm used to (the Drakonia Black has a button on the right side of the mouse which I really like).

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I actually don't love them because of fit, but I work on a mouse all day and I'm specific in my needs. Sounds like you are as well. My favorite wired mouse was the old Dell ones but excess buttons are superfluous for me.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined looking forward to the release of a detached 10Key. I think I am officially a nerd or old, likely both.

1654294111163.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined looking forward to the release of a detached 10Key. I think I am officially a nerd or old, likely both.

View attachment 415410

Fiancé does data analysis and is constantly doing numpad data entry, so this might make a great gift. Will try and pick one or two up (maybe a 2nd to go with my 10keyless) for a rainy day "oops I screwed up" gift.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Playing with switches has been more amusing than it should have any right to be. Actually frankenstein'd some Kailh's together.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is there some kind of bulk supplier people usually order from? Or if you want 100 brown switches is it cheaper to buy a whole keyboard on sale that has removable ones?

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist

But if you've never tried different switches, I'd recommend getting some sample packs.

Leaton

Trakanon Raider
This keyboard is super comfy, perfect wireless replacement of the old MicroSoft ergo 4000

Going to get this Couchmaster Cycon soon for computing on the new Samsung QLED TV. Hope I do not regret it....

• 1Like