Keyboards & Mice

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
wtf does Ortholinear mean versus what is used today? ELI5 so I don't have to Google. Thanks FoH.
1698074961981.png

vs staggered keys

• 2Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'm thinking of buying one of these instead of building. I'm not quite sure if I want to get back involved in the electronics and MC hobby.

voyager-hero

I’ve seen a few of these I’m pretty interested in trying but don’t really feel like dropping the $$$ just to figure out I don’t like it

Kais

<Gold Donor>
So after obsessing over custom 75% keyboards for the past several months i've probably over analyzed and this is a terrible decision. Pulled the trigger on:

Monsgeek M1 custom keyboard
-full aluminum milled chassis. Supposedly this deepens the pitch vs a plastic or extruded aluminum (K70) style case
-opaque polcarb plate. Sound dampening is supposedly better with polycarb than stiffer materials, also acts as a diffuser for the LEDs.
-gasket mounted board. allows the keys to flex some. quieter and helps reduce repetitive stress from switches bottoming out.
-south facing LEDs. Basically means LEDs are mounted on the PCB under each switch instead of above. Aesthetic.
-volume knob
-uses the VIA/QMK software. Remap anything to anything, lots of LED profiles and configs, macros, etc. Highly rated.

Gazzew Boba U4T Thocky tactile switches
-supposedly one of the best rated brown style switch on the market currently: sound pitch, smoothness, feel

PBT Double Shot Keycaps with side printed shine through lettering in a gradient

monsgeek m1.jpg
monsgeek m1 exploded.jpg
PBT front facing gradient keycaps.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you guys wanting ortholinear ever tried kinesis?

the curved keywells are amazing, and all these other diy ones just try to emulate a kinesis anyway, also it now comes split if thats your jam
dc64f74b315ff164a617b531db51dd58.png

my current kinesis is unmodded (my previous one had a nostromo n52 built in), the only thing i changed is when Brahma Brahma recommened some tactile WASD rubber keycaps (i think corsair?)

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
you guys wanting ortholinear ever tried kinesis?

the curved keywells are amazing, and all these other diy ones just try to emulate a kinesis anyway, also it now comes split if thats your jam
dc64f74b315ff164a617b531db51dd58.png

my current kinesis is unmodded (my previous one had a nostromo n52 built in), the only thing i changed is when Brahma Brahma recommened some tactile WASD rubber keycaps (i think corsair?)
These have come up in my browsing for keyboard upgrades. IIRC in the $300 range, maybe I’ll treat myself for Christmas.
Do you game with it?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
So after obsessing over custom 75% keyboards for the past several months i've probably over analyzed and this is a terrible decision. Pulled the trigger on:

-full aluminum milled chassis. Supposedly this deepens the pitch vs a plastic or extruded aluminum (K70) style case
-opaque polcarb plate. Sound dampening is supposedly better with polycarb than stiffer materials, also acts as a diffuser for the LEDs.
-gasket mounted board. allows the keys to flex some. quieter and helps reduce repetitive stress from switches bottoming out.
-south facing LEDs. Basically means LEDs are mounted on the PCB under each switch instead of above. Aesthetic.
-volume knob
-uses the VIA/QMK software. Remap anything to anything, lots of LED profiles and configs, macros, etc. Highly rated.

-supposedly one of the best rated brown style switch on the market currently: sound pitch, smoothness, feel

For $100 they sound pretty nice. Like to hear what you think when you get It.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
These have come up in my browsing for keyboard upgrades. IIRC in the $300 range, maybe I’ll treat myself for Christmas.
Do you game with it?
i haven't gamed w/ them in a while, they never have any nkro issues

idk about the newer split, but the kinesis won't feel as "premium" as these diy, since they'll have layers of felt/metal, and the kinesis has never been a first choice for gaming, since it's just not cool, but they use standard cherry mx, so you can change your stems/springs... keycaps might be an issue since the curvature of the keywells are tied into the kinesis keycaps as well (they are not standard heights).

Kais

<Gold Donor>
For $100 they sound pretty nice. Like to hear what you think when you get It.
Well the switches ended up being another $60 and $30 for the keycaps. I'm still not convinced the Bobas are worth the money but they are slightly less expensive than Glorious Pandas. Reddit seems to like em so i'll give it a shot.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

-volume knob

I'm pretty curious how you feel as well. I've been thinking about something like this for a while, just haven't spent the time to delve in.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I didn’t like the pandas I got. The tactile profile had the bump right at the start of travel and I had come to prefer a bit of travel before the feel of the bump.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
the Boba U4T switches showed up today. From just messin about with individual ones there is verrry little pretravel. I mean, it's there, but compared to the cherry mx browns on my current K70 it's so much tighter. Also very little side slop and yet the whole stem does not feel stiff. Nice tactile feel, good resistance, mspaint skills to descibe the bump. There is a definet top and bottom to this switch. I like em so far. See if that holds true once the m1 shows up and i can lay em out.

switch bump profile.jpg

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So I decided that I wanted to swap out keycaps. I use compressed air on my keyboard on the regular, but popped off they keys and see the shame of my saltine cracker eating habit laid bare.....

1699318374396.png

• 3Worf
  • 3Barf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 6 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I got my Monsgeek M2 put together with Gateron White switches. I don't have the keycaps I'm going to use so put some others on it for now just to get me by until they get here. Man, honestly the keyboard feels pretty fucking great. And whatever they call the layout is pretty nice, having a keypad but not having all the wasted space with the arrow keys and the few misc keys there, but still having basically all the keys, feels pretty damn good.

Super happy with everything, except maybe the stabilizers on some of the keys, which might just be an operator error thing. A few of the keys I have the stabs on sounds pretty aweful and hollow. That could also partly be the old keycaps I'm using though.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My Logitech keyboard is starting to double press some keys.

Been really happy with my steelseries products but they seem to have skyrocketed in price. Pretty sure I bought a numpad-less steelseries for $120 last year for my GF, now they are all around $200.

Any tips on other good keyboards in the sub $150 range.