Keyboards & Mice

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
been having a weird issue off and on, my mx3 master w/ logi bolt, would sometimes "skip", i have an alexa and a wireless charger on my desk, so i thought maybe thats interference. so i got a usb3 extension and literally taped the reciever 1in away from where i'd be using it.

it stopped, for a while...
now mind you, i have 3 mice connected to my computer, just b/c
mx3 master
mx logi vertical (carpal tunnel)
g502 wired

the g502 wired is a super champ, never messes up of course
but also, the mx logi vertical is wireless on the old style logi receiver and it also never ever skips

so yea i googled it, and ppl have issues w/ the logi bolt receiver on usb3.0, if you put it only a usb2 connection your skips stop.
i don't have usb2 at all (it's all usb3 or usbc) so i grabbed an old usb2 extension cable (this downgrades the connect to usb 2, all usb3 is extra, longer metal tabs at the connection point, look at it and you'll see), and now skipping stops

fucking hell logitech

oh yes, can't i just plug in the mx3s master and use it wired? no it is only wireless, the wired connection is just to charge it, it will not work w/o the receiver.

of course i could have used bluetooth, but who the fuck would want to use that for a mouse?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
my wife wrecked the mx3 anywhere, left click is fucked, this is how crazy she is about using the mouse, it wasn't an issue, cuz i have a backup one in the box.

anywhere quick googling and seems like any basic omron switch, looks like these

Red Kailh GM 4.0​

are the quiet model

and i'll have to order new mice feet too cuz all the screws are underneath

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Does anyone make a buckling spring kb besides Model F labs? I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a work keyboard.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Thinking about getting a Keychron V1 with the knob, Cherry Browns. Been using a K70 for years and i really want something that's quiet and without a 10 key. There are so many options on switches now i'm clueless. Am i making a mistake here? Got any better ideas for a 75% with a volume knob?

e: i'm comfortable with swapping switches and keycaps, trying to keep it a $200 max budget.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Thinking about getting a Keychron V1 with the knob, Cherry Browns. Been using a K70 for years and i really want something that's quiet and without a 10 key. There are so many options on switches now i'm clueless. Am i making a mistake here? Got any better ideas for a 75% with a volume knob?

e: i'm comfortable with swapping switches and keycaps, trying to keep it a $200 max budget.
did you wanna ever split the snob to a basic dac like a fosi?

199d8d71cbea10233a7c1ae1ca3e6a3c.png

or whatever dac's Brahma Brahma go educate him!

Kais

<Gold Donor>
did you wanna ever split the snob to a basic dac like a fosi?

or whatever dac's Brahma Brahma go educate him!
I already have a Schiit stack for my Audio, so I'm covered there. Keychron V1 is a mechanical keyboard, which is what i am considering. It's a less expensive version of the Q1 which they've had forever, but the V1 has a polycarbonate shell instead of aluminum. I'm not up to speed on good mechanical keyboards and was hoping someone here might be more familiar with this space. I've had the Corsair K70 with MX Cherry Red switches for years. Anything i get must have some kind of volume/mute knob/wheel on the top right.

The V1 I'm looking at has their version of brown switches. Since Cherry's patent on the MX style switches has run out there are tons of clones and everyone has their own flavor. Are any of them better than the other? Essentially I'd like a "tactile" switch as the brown's typically are but I'd much prefer a very quiet sound than the loud clacking I have now. So at the price point of the V1 I'm open to suggestions to swapping out the switches.

Are keycaps all the same size? Never bought just keycaps before. Would i be scouring etsy for Keychron specific styles to find the color i want that will fit this keyboard or are keycaps keycaps?

Palum

what Suineg set it to

I have a Q6 and it's my favorite kb so far. I also went browns. While I wish there was something between brown and blue, it's still pretty good.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I already have a Schiit stack for my Audio, so I'm covered there. Keychron V1 is a mechanical keyboard, which is what i am considering. It's a less expensive version of the Q1 which they've had forever, but the V1 has a polycarbonate shell instead of aluminum. I'm not up to speed on good mechanical keyboards and was hoping someone here might be more familiar with this space. I've had the Corsair K70 with MX Cherry Red switches for years. Anything i get must have some kind of volume/mute knob/wheel on the top right.

The V1 I'm looking at has their version of brown switches. Since Cherry's patent on the MX style switches has run out there are tons of clones and everyone has their own flavor. Are any of them better than the other? Essentially I'd like a "tactile" switch as the brown's typically are but I'd much prefer a very quiet sound than the loud clacking I have now. So at the price point of the V1 I'm open to suggestions to swapping out the switches.

Are keycaps all the same size? Never bought just keycaps before. Would i be scouring etsy for Keychron specific styles to find the color i want that will fit this keyboard or are keycaps keycaps?

you can browse amazon/ebay for key testerr and see which type of stem/feel you like best
67caaba1ef25b363ba5eac6553deffea.png

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anything i get must have some kind of volume/mute knob/wheel on the top right.

Does it have to be a knob? My Ducky Zero and most of the other full size Ducky's has Vol Up/Down/Mute and calc as dedicated buttons above the numpad.

1689523475874.png

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

The K70 TKL with silent switches would work?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Wanted to try a lightweight mouse. Snagged a Glorious I 2. It may be too light.

aaa.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I do not know why people like lightweight mice. Maybe I'm just too jittery but they do not work for me at all.

Heavy mice are bad too. Just normal weight mice, please.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I do not know why people like lightweight mice. Maybe I'm just too jittery but they do not work for me at all.

Heavy mice are bad too. Just normal weight mice, please.

I returned it. Not sure why people like them either.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I bought the new Logitech Pro X TKL Lightspeed. I got browns because it's the one color I didn't have in other modern keyboards.

It's nice. Overpriced, but nice. The case it comes with is very sturdy, which explains the price a little bit. If this thing is 150 around Black Friday, it'd say that's a much better deal. I can't imagine it holds at full price for long.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I’m becoming very disappointed in my Keychron wireless battery life and the lack of any status indicator either physical or software. The one I use for work just dies after two days and then I have to charge it for an hour before it’ll even work in USB mode.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I bought the new Logitech Pro X TKL Lightspeed. I got browns because it's the one color I didn't have in other modern keyboards.

It's nice. Overpriced, but nice. The case it comes with is very sturdy, which explains the price a little bit. If this thing is 150 around Black Friday, it'd say that's a much better deal. I can't imagine it holds at full price for long.
I have one of their wireless keyboards. Solid build, aluminum slab full keyboard. Like it but charging was PITA. Sometimes it would say it was fully charged then drop to 60% the instant you unplugged it, or if you swapped cables enough it would stay charged for an hour and drop. Got tired of guessing and went back to the corded Corsair keyboard I was using previously.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ok after accidentally finding some YouTube videos on split ortholinear keyboards (as one does), I'm thinking I might want to try this concept out.

This is a bit of a giant rabbit hole of 3d printing, custom pcbs and components. I didn't find many manufactured ones and the sites I did find that sold parts kits all varied wildly in sketchiness, stock, and lots were in Europistan.

Anyone have any recommendations? I think I'd like to buy or make a Corne wireless.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
split ortholinear keyboards

My wife uses one. This specific model has shit keyboard mechanics and I would not recommend it, but the concept in general is interesting (though not enough to buy one yet). I got used to the split very fast and I think it did make my wrists more comfortable.

Edit: I guess I should have paid more attention to "ortholinear". She does not have one of those, just a split. Weird idea. I would have loves this as a kid when I would move WASD to the number pad for gaming to have the key symmetric under my hand.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
wtf does Ortholinear mean versus what is used today? ELI5 so I don't have to Google. Thanks FoH.