Kings and Heroes

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This looks really fun as long as this isn't priced like some bullshit EA title.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Im sold, ill give it a try.
After checking the website out looks good enough to give a try.

Was totally expecting a Korean or Pantheon clusterfuck game when clicking on the thread, was a nice surprise for once.

ALSO love the first person, will need to turn down the effects though.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Found their most current FAQ on Steam, since their website has virtually nothing.

Dungeons & Combat
The higher difficulties of dungeons are not available straight away and must be unlocked.

Kings and Heroes is rogue-like in the sense that dungeons are procedurally generated, and that wiping in a dungeon means the end of that dungeon run.

While there are caves and crypts to explore out in the overworld, the main dungeons are accessed by speaking to specific NPCs in the hub town of Everdale. This is also a good place to find other players for your party!

'Trash' mobs will hold value in the fact that they drop items that can be salvaged to gain crafting components.

PvP is something the team has wanted from the beginning. While the focus for launch is on getting dungeons and the world settled in, PvP Battlegrounds will follow shortly in the coming months.

PvP will be an opportunity for certain utility skills to shine. i.e. a wizard can detect invisibility to counter stealthing rogues.

The game is centered around procedurally generated dungeons, but there is a large 'overworld' to explore with NPCs and things to find and do

There are different tile sets for the dungeons including caves and crypts. Because they are generated you won't be running the same dungeons over and over again

Dungeons will have traps, tricks and secret doors

Currently 5 difficulties for dungeons. A solo player might find it tough to attempt higher difficulties

No tab targeting, all skill shots. Aiming is important!

The overworld supports hundreds of players at a time, but the dungeons are instanced for 1-8 players within a party

NPC levels in dungeons scale based on the party's average level, and also the selected difficulty of the dungeon

Difficulties range from 'Easy' to 'Insane', and effect enemy levels, stat modifiers, AI, and the abilities they use

Dungeons have floors that go either up or down. The further into the dungeon you go, the higher chance for better loot to drop. Floors have various 'themes'

Dungeon generation is dynamic. Many traps, secret doors and rooms. Dangerous platforms that require movement skills like double jump or teleport to reach.

Dungeons shouldn't feel repetitive. There is a lot of variation of rooms and a wide array of enemies that it should feel fresh and new each run

Dungeons will have a purpose and really mean something

If you die, you first enter a 'downed' state that incapacitates you. party members can try to revive you

So far clerics are the only class that can resurrect dead players while in combat.

If everyone in the party dies, it's a wipe and the run is over. You must begin a new dungeon

Combat system more akin to Dark Messiah minus all the kicking
wink.png

Players crit by hitting the appropriate weak spots on an NPC's hit box. It is purely player skill based. NPCs in higher difficulty dungeons might have a better chance of critting on players.

The servers are hosted live-- no pausing!

There are plans to release tools to allow player made dungeons. This won't be available right at release, but will be some time during Early Access.

Players can choose dungeon size during dungeon creation. There are 5 sizes ranging from small to huge. A small might take about 30 minutes while huge may take hours.

Dungeon difficulties and sizes are a reflection of how many people you are grouping with. Solo players can run small/easy dungeons, while large parties can take on bigger and badder ones. We want to encourage group play, since this is first and foremost a multiplayer game.

There is no 'hardcore' mode that results in the permanent death of your character. Wiping in a dungeon results will end that adventure and a new one will need to be generated.

Loot
The best gear in the game is obtainable via both dungeons AND crafting. The team wants to reward players who put in the time in either faucet of the game.

No class restrictions on weapon types. Everything is available to use for everyone.

Currently gear is not soulbound. Anything can be traded between people.

Lots of loot obtained from dungeons, as well by crafting. Most loot is randomly generated. Different qualities of loot. Salvaging will be a thing.

NPCs equip the gear that they drop. If an NPC is holding a powerful looking weapon, it might hit you a lot harder but if you can kill it you can take the weapon from them!

Crafting levels independently with it's own progression. Players don't have to choose between combat and crafting.

Many items in your inventory are stackable.

Loot is shared, and currently supports free-for-all and round robin. The team is looking at other loot systems and possibilities
The World
NPCs in Everdale will have pathing and voice acted dialogue.

Although it's not yet available, there is a world map.

There will be dragons!

Some areas in the overworld will be very challenging and require a group.

World bosses, such as the dragon, are planned. It is uncertain if they will be available right at launch.

It would be wise to spend the first few levels in town and running dungeons to gear up before braving the more dangerous overworld.

While Everdale is the central hub of the game, there are lots of settlements and points of interest in the open world. Caves, ghost towns, forests, swamps, NPCs to meet (or fight) Lots of exploring

While dungeons are scalable, the open world is static

Quests won't be traditional, but rather item based. Find an item out in the world and bring it to an NPC that is interested in it, and learn the story about it. Make a choice to turn it in to that NPC for a reward, or find someone else who might also want it.

While dungeons are instanced, the over world is completely open. Different 'servers' will exist to help maintain healthy player population.

Mobs will have designated spawn areas, but can wander and path.

Character Creation
6 character slots

5 classes: Champion, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue, Ranger

6 classic stats: STR INT WIS DEX CON CHA

Classes display preferred stats on the right of the screen when selected (example: clerics primary stat is WIS and secondary stat is INT)

Races have further stat modifiers

Players roll to assign their stats. They are randomly generated, but a player can roll as often as they like until they are satisfied with the result

Alignment system offers choices among the classic Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic/Good/Evil spectrum (Chaotic Evil, Lawful Good, Pure Neutral, etc) There are plans to expand on this alignment system

Character Customization features sliders and shaders for gender, height, skin color, age, hair style, hair color, beards, traits and eye color

Character Creation is still pre alpha, and many options and variations haven't been added yet

The odds of rolling 18s across the board are so low that it is highly unlikely you will ever achieve this. Don't even try ;P

Classes
There isn't a hard system of the 'trinity' but there are tanking and healing roles. Tanking is dynamic, using body blocking and becoming a barrier between NPCs and allies. No dragging mobs to a designated spot for killing.

Abilities are accessed by the action bar. They are limited by cooldowns.

Classes who have specific roles such as tanking and healing make running dungeons much more effective and quicker, but they certainly aren't required.

Players will begin with around 5 abilities to start and have to learn the rest.

While some classes may be better at mitigating damage or healing, there is no 'trinity'. Dungeons are a bit more chaotic and any composition can be viable. All classes will be able to solo

Classes that are available right at launch do not have pets/minions/summons in their toolkit, but the systems are in place for future classes. Some classes will be centered around minions/pets. Currently some NPCs have this ability.

Rogues may be the primary lock pickers, but players could find keys as well. There are also magical locks that might require a spell or special magic key to unlock.

Lots of skills in the game. They have 5 ranks each. Some skills are available through a trainer, while others need to be discovered

Utility skills exist, such as lock picking, disarming traps, and illuminating dungeons

There are no class restrictions for gear, but there will be natural advantages and disadvantages that fit the class fantasy. A wizard can deck out in full plate, but it might not be tactical to do so

Rogues can sneak, pick locks and disarm traps!

Other
We are considering purchase bundle deals for steam.

The world servers are currently set to sustain 150-200 characters.

Players can chat across all the servers.

In the next month we want to bring more information about story and lore.

There are no restrictions on streaming Kings and Heroes during Early Access.

There are potentially up to 250 inventory slots per character.

There are no weight limits-- players won't have to worry about being overcucumbered
wink.png

There is a HUD, it's just not ready to be shown yet.

Players will log into the game with their steam account, but when they create their characters they can choose the character's name.

Industry games will be hosting the servers. We are exploring possibilities for international servers

There will be no subscription to play. Buy once and get the entire game. No plays for microtransactions

PVP is planned for the game, but might not be available right at launch. No friendly fire

Plans for Steam Workshop and Modding, but will probably be very limited during early access.

Plans to have large free content updates every 2-3 months during early access

Plans for a more horizontal level cap rather than adding additional levels post game. however, still in early design phase. Currently there are 50 player levels

The game is Action based. Hit boxes are dynamic. higher crit chances in specific areas such as head and back. This goes for players as well.

Lvl 50 will be the cap, and depending on your play style could take approximately 40-60 hours

Friend list and trading is in the game. Plans for guilds. No in-game mail

Industry games will be hosting the servers. We are exploring possibilities for international servers

There will be no subscription to play. Buy once and get the entire game. No plays for microtransactions

While the game has a lot of MMO-like features, we don't think that it hits all the check-boxes that make a game an MMO. The direction of the game will take it closer to this mark as content is added.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wonder what "No plays for microtransactions means." Hopefully it means "no microtransactions."

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I hope their game editing is better then that. I would like to see every faucet of game play but I'm not sure I'm ready to give them money to see those faucet's.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I was pretty shocked when I learned that people played EQ in third person. The only time I went to third person was to look around while med'ing. It took me a long time to warm up to WoW because first person wasn't a viable way to play.

That's a long way of saying, I'm really looking forward to playing this (because it's designed with first person in mind).

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I was pretty shocked when I learned that people played EQ in third person. The only time I went to third person was to look around while med'ing. It took me a long time to warm up to WoW because first person wasn't a viable way to play.

That's a long way of saying, I'm really looking forward to playing this (because it's designed with first person in mind).
Could you even go to third person when it released? I don't remember ever going to third person until Luclin era when I came back to the game.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
You could. It was pretty bad, though, since hit boxes were such a bitch back then.

First person is much more immersive, but unless it's forced you'll be gimping yourself against everyone else.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider

Same. I thought third person in EQ was just for checking out your character and looking around while medding. I didn't think it was even playable that way until I found out my buddy played in third person for years.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Same. I thought third person in EQ was just for checking out your character and looking around while medding. I didn't think it was even playable that way until I found out my buddy played in third person for years.
Third person was always the choice of keyboard turners and people who used their mouse to click their hotkeys.

First person was always the best and only way to play EQ.

This looks great. I dont even try games that dont allow first person, and outlawing the inferior modes right off the bat is a great idea.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Anyone who quad kited or played a Tank or CC class with any proficiency at all in dungeons was playing in third person.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Anyone who quad kited or played a Tank or CC class with any proficiency at all in dungeons was playing in third person.
No, thats not true.

Third person sucked for all classes and was always an unnecessary crutch. A quick flick of the fingers lets you turn 360? in first person view, or you could quickly F9 to cycle through cameras.

Third person was training wheels that ruined immersion and made everything look shitty, and didnt really help.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I did all of those things and I never once used third person in EQ. I don't think I can recall ever playing with anyone who used it either. If anything the shitty third person camera would actually hamper you more than help.