Kings and Heroes

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Now you're just trollin'. You obviously never played tank at a very high level in early EQ.

I could see a warrior perhaps using 3rd person while tanking a boss in the corner with defensive, but they had a boring job anyways. Or a slow group too afraid to pull multiple mobs while stuck in "one at a time" mode. There were a lot of monk pullers who spent more time saying "look at me pull a single!" while my group powered ahead of them.

And the reason I was asked to tank for the best players is because I wasn't slow at pulling and could keep agro off of anybody, even with multiple mobs / adds, and no matter how much they nuked / backstabbed. When adds came I dealt with it. Nobody died except the mobs... very fast.

And it was all done in first person because 3rd person in EQ was for the slow people.

3rd person is the only way to play in every mmo after EQ starting with WoW. You gimp yourself if you don't play in third person in modern mmos. But EQ's early dungeon design and crappy 3rd person mechanics made 3rd person players slow and pathetic.
Honestly dude... It sounds like you had great CC and healers.

They were probably in third person.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No, you never played EQ in first person. So are clueless to it's possibilities. Having been there and done it. I know, you don't.

Pretty pointless now I suppose. Since that game doesn't exist anymore. But I do find it very revealing.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Anyone who played in first person was too stupid to figure out third person.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
No, you never played EQ in first person. So are clueless to it's possibilities. Having been there and done it. I know, you don't.

Pretty pointless now I suppose. Since that game doesn't exist anymore. But I do find it very revealing.
OK dude. I never played EQ in first person. Sure.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Alot of the vanilla dungeons/levels in EQ were extremely cramped so using third person was more of a hinderance than a benefit when camping in places like Lguk. Later on they started designing levels with higher ceilings and wider corridors so 3rd person became more useful.

Also a number of people had poor computers that barely met the sys reqs so would stand in corners facing the walls to maximize their FPS while using that hideous UI with the small window to play the game; 3rd person was a luxury they could not afford.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I use third person to swivel the cam during combat but always first person to do any travel.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Anyone who played in first person was too stupid to figure out third person.
Well if we're gonna take it to that level lets just cut to the chase. Not all of us decided it would be fun to stare at a computer simulated male ass for hours on end.

We all knew how to get to third person, but some of us recognized that it sucked and wisely stayed with first person. The rest of you used your mouse for targetting and hotkeys, and turned with your keyboard, while calling us inefficient.

Me, I liked playing as the warrior rather than playing as the invisible camera following the warriors ass. But different strokes, my friend, different strokes.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Well if we're gonna take it to that level lets just cut to the chase. Not all of us decided it would be fun to stare at a computer simulated male ass for hours on end.

We all knew how to get to third person, but some of us recognized that it sucked and wisely stayed with first person. The rest of you used your mouse for targetting and hotkeys, and turned with your keyboard, while calling us inefficient.

Me, I liked playing as the warrior rather than playing as the invisible camera following the warriors ass. But different strokes, my friend, different strokes.
Why are you under the impression playing EQ in third person meant 'staring at your characters ass'? This is untrue. I'm also quite certain that players who did utilize third person as a situational tool used many different views and angles to optimize their performance. I certainly did.

Why are you under the impression that playing in third person had any impact whatsoever on your methods of activating hotkeys, targeting, or movement? This is, again, untrue and not remotely grounded in reality. There is nothing you could accomplish in first person that wasn't available to you in at least one of the third person camera options.

The ONLY argument to play EQ in first person exclusively was for increased 'immersion', which is an absolutely fair motivation for making that decision. Just don't be under any illusion that you were playing optimally.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Read something the other day by a poster named Pensiiv on the GW2wvw.net forums. Thought it might put this whole idiotic conversation into proper perspective:

Pensiiv;_sl said:
I had to quickly swerve and dismount from my Razor scooter as my Bluetooth headset alerted me to this vicious forum post. I checked my hacked Microsoft Zune and saw, to my disbelief, that my greatest Baewatch adversary had seen fit to publicly besmirch my honor. So filled with rage and disgust that i could not even enter my local GameStop to pick up a first edition copy of Mahjong Hisho-den: Naki no Ryu, I deployed my emergency Heelys and made for the one place I knew I could provide an adequate response--my 1337 battlestation.

Hands shaking as I booted up my custom version of Linux, I removed my fingerless gloves and took small sips of my limited edition World of Warcraft Mountain Dew Code Red. Pensiivly stroking the fine hairs of my neck, I set to work composing the most humbling response possible.

I knew the response would come across as scathing, given that my superior atheist intellect and had been sharpened through demeaning religious shitposters across the world wide web. But I also knew that to be able to compete with the likes of a Baewatch-caliber player, I would need every tool at my disposal. To more easily gather my thoughts, I put on my Hot Topic fedora and paced around my mother's basement--a realm I had renamed The Shadow Zone.

At last a great forum reply came to my mind, and I leapt over my three full-length body pillows to get to my keyboard as quickly as possible. This would be a post with which no one could ever disagree, much like no one would disagree that the subbed version of Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei is vastly superior to the dubbed version. My takedown of my forum adversary would be succinct, terse, curt, brusque, and pithy. But it would also end the forum shitposting competition once and for all.

I leaned back in my off-brand DXRacer and breath a heavy sigh of relief, my reflection glinting in the polished wood of my sword cane. Cheetos bags crinkling underneath my feet as I stood to take a grand bow before my fellow internet brethren, I couldn't help but let out a maniacal laugh.

I had done it.

I had bested my greatest enemy once and for all.

I told him:

xD

xD

Dartoxer_sl

shitlord
Copy-pasting the Q&A from today's stream.

FoV Customization

We have heard your requests and decided to implement an FoV customization option! It will be a slider that can be adjusted to the taste of the player. Thanks for all your constructive feedback, we really encourage you to keep it up.

General
There will be separate EU and NA servers available at Early Access launch.

There will be a group finding tool that is cross server. You can invite friends and players who are on other servers.

This game does lend itself well to the Occulus Rift, and we?ve been exploring possibilities with implementation.

Voice communication is built into the game. You can communicate with party members as long as you have a microphone.

No plans for guild halls in Early Access. Standard guild interfaces and management will be available when guilds go live some time after Early Access launch.

There are about 14 equipment slots. There are different weapon sets with their own ability action bar tied to it.

No transmogrification in the game so far, but there are options for color tinting to customize your look.

World
There are directions and guidance, specifically during character creation which suggests which stats your class favors, but players are encouraged to explore and find things out for themselves rather than be spoon fed by an in-game tutorial.

There are herbs and ore that can be gathered in the world, and can be purchased from vendors.

Players can only have 1 tradeskill at a time. If you unlearn a tradeskill you will lose progress on it. There are no class bonuses to tradeskills.

There is one main town Everdale, and there are many small settlements out in the world. Some are friendly, some are not.

The open world is very large. You can run for 30+ minutes and encounter various areas.

Large group content will be in the world. There will be encounters that require larger groups to tackle.

No fishing in the game currently, but if there?s a high demand to sit around and push buttons then we will make that option for you.
smile.png

There is ?jumping puzzle? content that requires use of classes? special movement abilities. They aren?t as extensive as the jumping puzzles in Guildwars 2 but as the game develops this can be expanded upon.

FoV slider is very much welcomed. Going full first-person without the option to change the FoV would have been pretty dumb IMO.

- Large group content will be in the world. There will be encounters that require larger groups to tackle.
This sounds pretty rad. Also, some new screens:1234567
Character creator screen:123

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I only lightly skimmed the first/third person dick measuring, so my apologies if I missed this being mentioned - the reason I'm excited that this game is designed around first person view (and the reason why first person worked so well in EQ) is because the dungeons and interiors won't all be grand cathedrals and titanic architecture. It's impossible to feel claustrophobic in a game like WoW because they make the interiors huge (knowing that everyone is playing with their cameras set as far as back as the game allows).

Think about games that are designed with third person in mind:

1) The ceilings are at least several times taller than the character models
2) You could drive an eighteen wheeler through the hallways
3) The shoulder armor and the helms are the only parts of the character that get any detail because you don't ever see anything else

And I'm sure there's several other points to be made about the drawbacks of having a third person camera. There really shouldn't be an argument over which view is going to give you more situational awareness (obviously having a 360 degree field of view is going to trump 60-90 degrees every time), and I'm not saying that I don't enjoy games with third person. What Iamsaying is that I'm glad thatthisgame is being made for first person because that alone will be enough to distinguish itself from the countless other high fantasy RPGs available to play these days.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Yeah man. Fucking love when games are designed for first person. The last time this was true of an MMORPG was Kunark heh.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
Four different dungeon types with many different themes including castles, crypts and caves.

Pick your size and difficulty (of course the harder the dungeon is, the better the rewards)

Amazing creatures including 20+ bosses

Can be played single player

Co-op play - Groups of up to 8 players with one being the "Group Leader" (Recommended)

Traditional Dungeon Crawl Experience - Unique classes with unique roles

"Roguelike" true dungeon running risk - wipe and the run is over.you'll have to regroup in town to begin another adventure.

~~ That last one is reeealy interesting. ~~~

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Four different dungeon types with many different themes including castles, crypts and caves.

Pick your size and difficulty (of course the harder the dungeon is, the better the rewards)

Amazing creatures including 20+ bosses

Can be played single player

Co-op play - Groups of up to 8 players with one being the "Group Leader" (Recommended)

Traditional Dungeon Crawl Experience - Unique classes with unique roles

"Roguelike" true dungeon running risk - wipe and the run is over.you'll have to regroup in town to begin another adventure.

~~ That last one is reeealy interesting. ~~~
That last bit will get nerfed into oblivion once the crybaby brigade starts up.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, the key will be how long the dungeons are designed to last. Like does the crawl take 30 mins? or 90 mins?

Dartoxer_sl

shitlord
I think there was something about this in the Q&A thread, hold on.

Found it:

Players can choose dungeon size during dungeon creation. There are 5 sizes ranging from small to huge. A small might take about 30 minutes while huge may take hours.

Dartoxer_sl

shitlord
A few interesting tidbits from the last Q&A:

- The price is 29.95 for early access. 4-pack version is also very likely.
- There are currently 5 classes in the game (this was already known) and 5 additional ones already being designed (this is new).
- As time goes on the alignment system will get more robust. For example, there will be quests and rewards that only characters with certain alignment can do/get.