Kings and Heroes

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Dartoxer_sl

shitlord
Official site
Steam page

Never heard about this game before? Don't worry, you're not alone. I will try my best to summarise the game in this post.

- First-Person action MMO
- 6 races
- 5 classes
- Every class can use every items. There might be some disadvantages tho.
- There's an open world to explore, however the focus is on dungeon dwelling
- Procedurally generated dungeons are limited to your party only. There are also dungeons/caves that you can find in the overworld. Those are open to everyone.
- While there's no holy trinity, certain things can only be done by certain classes. For example Rogues can lockpick doors, chests. Wizards can summon orbs of light to make a relatively dark dungeon brighter or detect invisibility.
- To learn a new class skill, you must either talk to the class trainer in town OR find that specific skill in the world (finding a book while visiting the library of a dungeon. Doing a quest for the head of the thieves guild etc.)
- There are plans for PvP
- Steam early access starts later this april.

It's an MMO in a sense that the overworld can (presumably) host hundreds of players at the same time. The servers will be hosted by the devs.

Videos:

Devs dicking around in town
Character creation
Dungeon Combat
Dungeon Combat 2

Dartoxer_sl

shitlord
Inb4 who is this shill asshole

A little bit about me: I registered back in 2014, but I was a lurker even before that. The ESO and EQN threads were the main reason I started visiting this forum. UT's predictions about ESO's fail and Elidroth's inside infos about Daybreak+EQN are not something you can get on any other site
smile.png

Now back to the game. My personal likes and dislikes:

Yays:
- First Person
- I like that there's an actual open world to explore
- Different classes have different utility skills

Nays:
- The most generic game title you've ever heard. Kinda like those browser/facebook games.
- THOSE VISUAL EFFECTS MY GOD. It's just too much. They need to tone it down.
- I'm not saying the graphics are bad. But after learning that it's a UE4 game...well yeah, it could be better.
- There was barely any marketing done for the game. They just announced it a month or so ago. The gameplay must be super-duper fun otherwise nobody will talk about it.

Another thing: The two dev guys you see in those videos have already worked together on a game in the past. It was a games called Dominus. Now from what I understand, it was supposed to be DAoC inspired PVP MMO which was cancelled due to the lack of funds. This combined with the lack of marketing makes me worried about the future of Kings and Heroes, because it's got a lot of potential IMO.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Looks neat. I dig the models for the monsters from the videos. Depending on price I'll check it out.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Watched a gameplay video- doesn't look bad at a first glance. Who knows how fun it is to actually play.

Edit: Just realized OP posted links- oh well, here it is embedded.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I like what I read from the bullet points and browsing their FAQ thread on steam forums. I prefer handmade dungeons over randomly generated, but both methods have their pros and cons. I'll probably pick it up if the price is right.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I like these two points:

- No tab targeting, all skill shots. Aiming is important!
- Players crit by hitting the appropriate weak spots on an NPC's hit box.

Definitely interested but yeah warning bells are going off all over the place since this game is coming out of no where.

Dartoxer_sl

shitlord
Depending on price I'll check it out.
I'll probably pick it up if the price is right.
Yeah the price is something I'm definitely curious about. If it's 30 bucks/euros or less, that's something I can get behind. Anything more than that might make me think twice before buying.

Asking for too much without any real playerbase or marketing can easily kill of the game before it even takes off. Unless they got a very aggressive marketing campaign planned out for the next 6 or so months, all they currently have is word of mouth. TES and Diablo are easily my most beloved video game franchises. This game (on paper) sounds like mixture of those two. I seriously hope they don't blow it.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Looks cool from that video, reminds me of Vermintide. Would definitely play it at a real release.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
If the price is right I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

Reht

Molten Core Raider
i'm intrigued, graphics look good. Forced first person? Not really a fan of that after all these years of playing MMOs in third person, but that won't stop me.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Heh. This looks like it would be fun. That 2nd steam video is pretty simple, yet cool as fuck.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
Looks very cool. Particle visuals are way over the top. Loving the different races. Ranged looks op! Is it a MMO? Regardless I am wishing them some success.

From a dev:

"Kings and Heroes is an online game, and everyone will be playing on our hosted servers. HOWEVER, the dungeons are totally scalable from 1 to 8 players which means you are free to play solo....if you dare!
wink.png

All dungeons are procedurally generated every time you enter one, making the possibilities virtually limitless! Dungeons are accessible through certain NPCs that can be found in the adventure-town Everdale, the primary player hub.

At launch we will have 4 dungeon tile sets you can choose from, and more will be added in the future. You can also choose dungeon size and difficulty, affecting the quality of loot drops."

Dartoxer_sl

shitlord
The EA start date has been postponed to 31 May.

We are very close to finishing our first title, but with our release date looming, we realize that there are still a couple of things that need additional work (in particular, some world content and crafting).
Link to the announcement

A kick in the balls for sure. But if this means we're getting a more polished game in the end, I'm not complaining.

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I wish stuff like this would happen more often. something comes out of nowhere yet looks cool enough to look forward to, but it's not years away from happening

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Particles of the top. For example, with weapon swings, instead of an arc of red, I'd rather see a more subtle gray or mirage ripple. I don't want to get blinded. I wonder if the PVP version would have friendly fire: accidentally axing and getting axed makes sense.

Shooting bows in games hits me just right; one of my favorite things to do. Hopefully there will be more options that rapid fire - I want to hold down and aim for power attacks.

Dartoxer_sl

shitlord
Neat!

Thx shill.

wink.png
wink.png

Particles of the top. For example, with weapon swings, instead of an arc of red, I'd rather see a more subtle gray or mirage ripple. I don't want to get blinded. I wonder if the PVP version would have friendly fire: accidentally axing and getting axed makes sense.

Shooting bows in games hits me just right; one of my favorite things to do. Hopefully there will be more options that rapid fire - I want to hold down and aim for power attacks.
Good points about the bow. While we're at it, one of my personal concerns is that the melee combat will end up somewhat lackluster. I already watched the announcement trailer + gameplay videos a couple of times and each time there's melee combat on the screen, something feels off. Not sure how to describe it, but it feels like there's no actual weight behind those attacks. Thus, they're intentionally using those effects to cover that weightlessness up.

I might be wrong though (hopefully). I guess we will see. Meanwhile, here are some of the new screenshots they posted on social media:

See those mountains? You can climb them - Todd Howard

Exploring Everdale
NPC dude
This is what the pre-release HUD looks like
Somewhere in town