Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV (2016)

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Yeah, this trailer made it far more interesting than the first one they released with just the words flashing across the screen.

Northerner

N00b
Yeah, I'll watch this for certain although likely not in the theater. I'll also probably be cheering for the 'bad' guys but that's normal for FF really.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
That'll learn me to look at my other monitor to look it up instead of just watching for that. I also think I wasn't expecting them to bother listing them.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Animated movies have taken to advertising their star voice actors lately in trailers. Even the ones that aren't big movies and have no stars, but they do it anyway.

I will totally see this in the theater because goddamn does it look pretty. Also, even though FF7 isn't my favorite game, I think Advent Children is my most re-watched movie because it just entertains me, and I like the story they'retryingto tell. I think.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Preordered FF15 deluxe because this looks cool. Amazon Prime's preorder discount on games makes pre buying shit way too tempting.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I saw Diamond WEAPON and Ultros in that trailer, wtf! When is this set in relation to the game (10 years before? Wheelchair kid is new cloud right?)?

Siliconemelons

I don't know where I saw it, but someone stated that its content / story is the prologue they cut from the game because of time / pacing and how "heavy" it was.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't know where I saw it, but someone stated that its content / story is the prologue they cut from the game because of time / pacing and how "heavy" it was.
2 hours or whateverispretty long for a game intro :p

Siliconemelons

2 hours or whateverispretty long for a game intro :p
Well it was going to be more like the FFT prologue, it's important and an actual full act to the entire game rather than what we typically get as "prologues" as a quick and short introduction - what we are used to. Also supposedly it was overlapped with the first act - also sort of how Midgar really is the prologue of FF7 - a complete act of the story.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea I was just making a joke. If it's true it's an interesting idea and would be neat to see more of, but it's not something I can see ever becoming common or popular. You need a big game with a lot of funding and pre-existing interest to pull that type of thing off even half-decently. Filling in lore & story either before, after, or parallel to when a game is taking place is a neat way to expand on that world without throwing in random badly made side-games and the like too.

Edit: You mentioning FFT made me realize I like the story of that game the same way I like Advent Children's - I like the story I think they're trying to tell. They give me an Engrished-up psuedo framework that's cool and I fill it in with things in my head :p

kevincheese

Lord Nagafen Raider

So apparently this is a thing.

Probably going to be garbage plot wise, fun visually. Going to go see it at my local Alamo Drafthouse Sunday. Part of the team that did Advent Children was also involved in this, so it should be pretty solid visually, which the trailer seems to show.

I've stayed far away from anything by SE since FF13 (other than 14:RR which was decentish), so I still haven't even played the XV demo. My hopes are pretty low for that game though.

Thoughts?

kevincheese

Lord Nagafen Raider
qHvxeaYRUABP4wHrg6xNDF7RxvD.jpg

Title: Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV (2016)

Genre: Action, Adventure, Animation, Drama, Fantasy, Science Fiction

Director: Takeshi Nozue

Cast: Go Ayano, Shiori Kutsuna, Ayumi Fujimura, Keiji Fujiwara, Kouichi Yamadera, Shozo Iizuka, Tomokazu Seki, Yuichi Nakamura, Wataru Takagi, Tsutomu Isobe, Mitsuaki Kanuka, Fuminori Komatsu, Banjou Ginga

Release: 2016-07-09

Runtime: 115

Plot: The magical kingdom of Lucis is home to the world’s last remaining Crystal, and the menacing empire of Niflheim is determined to steal it. King Regis of Lucis commands an elite force of soldiers called the Kingsglaive. Wielding their king’s magic, they fight to protect Lucis. As the overwhelming military might of the empire bears down, King Regis is faced with an impossible ultimatum – to marry his son, Prince Noctis to Princess Lunafreya of Tenebrae, captive of Niflheim, and surrender his lands to Niflheim rule. Although the king concedes, it becomes clear that the empire will stop at nothing to achieve their devious goals, with only the Kingsglaive standing between them and world domination.

zhPPQfkgdJS8t7LhbIQpwPZSN20.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Supposedly the movie is all of the prelude and backstory events they couldn't fit into the game without making you watch cutscenes every "chapter". That gives me hope because it means they were writing a Final Fantasy story and not some random shit like Spirits Within.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soulfire

Golden Knight of the Realm
So I saw this tonight. It was great visually. Plenty of action and great combat scenes. Well choreographed and amazing visuals. The battles were better than what little was shown in the trailers. A few suprise guests people will recognize when they see the movie as well. King Regus is pretty bad ass as well. Has a few parts where he really kicks ass.

Now as for the plot. I can say it starts out pretty good. Gives you a nice history lesson on everything that happens before the movie and why they are fighting each other. The plot however loses itself as it goes on. There really isn't an ending to the film so much as it just kinda stops. It literally leaves you hanging at the end. Granted I think this was done to be a marketing ploy to get you to buy the game when it comes out, but does seem to be a dick move on Square's part.

I do believe it's worth seeing at least once to get a feel for the history going into FF15 if you plan on playing it. If anything it's a great action movie with amazing visuals. The lip sync with the English audio always annoys me in high res cg movies like this since everything is animated with Japanese dialogue. Just takes you out of the movie sometimes.

More about plot and special guests in the spoiler.
So I gotta say the opening battle and ending battle were amazing battle scenes. Guest appearances by Diamond Weapon and as I will call them Knights of the Round, blew me away. At first I thought Diamond was Chaos since he was wreathed in fire and smoke at first and referred to as a demon. Had the same look and weapons as Diamond from FF7. Apparently they are mass produced and/or summoned because in the final fight there were multiple weapons being used. Few other FF creatures like Behemoth and Cerberus were around as well.

As everyone knows any charachter that Sean Bean is attached to is inadvertently killed at some point in their life. The same holds true here as well. He has a few bad ass moments like when he is talking to the Emperor of Nifleheim and when he summons his swords during the meeting. However we are met with an older version of the king and not as awesome as his potential could be. Too bad Noctis wasn't in the movie at all except a brief glimpse of him in a wheel chair when he was younger. Princess didn't really do anything remotely useful in the movie at all I think. Used as a plot device mostly. Makes you look forward to what's in the game though.

As for the ending... it leaves alot to be desired. It leaves off right at the end of the final battle. The princess walking off saying she couldn't hide being with a well known hero "some random kingsglaive" and leaves with the people of the city. Nyx is half burned and turning to Ash from using his power and with him sitting looking at the sunrise. After an all out fight and then 2 minutes of talking the movie just ends. Super weak ending and leaves you feeling a super "WTF, is that it?"

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's literally a lead in to the game, that they supposedly cut out of the game because it was getting too long. I'm not sure if that counts as a "ploy" so much :p