Kitchen Nightmares

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
hells kitchen has had it's run, they've basically run out of good chefs and worse, good looking chefs. You can tell the prizes are always rigged, the first 5eps of the series is just waiting for the girls team to win a second time and it's a beach prize... this season... ugh ghastly. this isn't what i look for in reality tv btw, just the patterns you notice after 8 seasons.

Siliconemelons

this years prizes are obviously girl stuff, then the guys win..paintball.. I mean hell I love paintball but that's nothing to like the shit the girls won... Why do the annoying black chicks who suck, do nothing and are always wanted to be kicked off never get chosen?

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
this years prizes are obviously girl stuff, then the guys win..paintball.. I mean hell I love paintball but that's nothing to like the shit the girls won... Why do the annoying black chicks who suck, do nothing and are always wanted to be kicked off never get chosen?
Racist.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
girls team suck i think. their team challenges don't mean shit for me. there is no single talent in that team. Half of girl's team are fat fucks who talks like a bitch and doesn't take charge for shit. They have no creativity, no leadership, no nothing. I was rooting for that other blond girl who was calm and collected but Ramsay kicked her off. It made no sense.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I stopped watching hell's kitchen, they started having multiple seasons a year and it was overload. this is a sexist sounding remark, but very few women make strong leaders. The exception are older or manly acting women

spronk

FPS noob
his UK shows are far superior to the US shows. the 8 part or whatever "how to cook" is fucking amazing, I rewatch parts like steak or scrambled eggs when I wanna make those. The one where he traveled to India and Cambodia (?) were also beautiful, and F Word is one of his best.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't see how all chefs aren't fucking fat. You take somebody who loves food so much that they want to make a career out of it and then put them around amazing food all day every day. I would look like Mario Batali for sure.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I used to think that, but watching these shows kind of changed my perception of what being a chef is. They are so busy from open to close that they don't have time to sit around eating. At least, in any kind of even moderately successful restaurant. Even if you tend to eat quite a bit, I would assume that all that working keeps your kind off eating and burns a lot of calories.

They had some show on Food Network a while back called Fat Chef. I didn't watch it, it looked like a combination of cooking competition show and Biggest Loser type thing.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
guys ever watch Boiling Point? its one of ramsays early shows, its from when he was still working as a chef in his own place and he was trying to earn a 3rd Michelin star. dude is sweating balls in that show.
pt1

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It's a bit ironic that at the time he said he's not a celebrity chef, he's a cook. He wants to be able to be in a kitchen and cook and not be a part of some corporate set up where he runs a kitchen from an office.

I know he still cooks in his London restaurants but that whole part of the interview shows how much things change over time once you become recognized. Those with as many stars as he has, honestly I think what he's doing now would have been the next step for him regardless.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i don't know if it was ramsay or some other chef(Probably him since he's about the only fit chef on tv) said that chefs are "grazing" all the time, taking a bit out of each dish to taste it, so there's really no need for 3 meals a day for a chef. too bad these chefs look like all they do is grze.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Hell's Kitchen COULD be great, but it suffers a serious flaw: plants. Instead of putting a whole set of talented chefs, they pick a few with talent and then fill the rest with plants that either suck or will cause high levels of drama. Completely evident a few seasons ago when that guy on the first episode tried to kick Ramsey's ass. Totally fake.

So now the show has devolved into just watching people fuck up and laughing, and suddenly caring in the last 2 episodes about the good people. I know why they do it, I know it's not top chef; but it makes the show really shitty to watch now as every season is the same.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I stopped watching Hell's Kitchen after like the 3rd season. Bunch of crap chefs now that just do ok to get to the finale.

Master Chef is pretty good though. Most of the people on that show is a newbie so they can't really rig it that much.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm about to start episode 3 of that Boiling Point show that Astro linked above. I'm glad to see that way he is on all his shows isn't an act...he really does flip his shit at the drop of a hat.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
anyone ever ate at one of gordon's restaurants? We're(wife) friends with a couple and that wife shares almost the same birthday as my wife so one of these birthdays we decided to goto gordons in ny. Now the four of us are minor foodies, and we've been around the block, and watched hell's kitchen/kitchen nitemares for years. The food was... ok, i think it was 150 a head for the tasting menu? and everything was like a 6 out of 10, maybe one dish got a 7... I mean compared to the year before that for their birthdays (it's a couples thing, and heck makes life easy when deciding what to do for a wifes birthday!) we went to morimoto's in philly (for those that know, the real iron chef) everything there started at 8 out of 10 and only went up from there. Actually at the nyc place (the london) we got a kitchen tour and the sous chef said that gordon only comes in once a year. I'd understand if this was like a kansas location, but it's the nyc location...
I was just at the london a month ago. We had the chefs table which sits right in the kitchen and i thought the food was phenominal but we did get a couple of specially prepared dishes for us. Anyway, the chef told us that ramsey has nothing to do with the place any longer and they just use his name since it was there from the start.

Also, dont go to morimotos in nyc, its fucking garbage.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Ditto on Ramsay's UK programs being infinitely more watchable than their US counterparts. I couldn't sit through the US-version's obnoxious jump cuts and the parade of reaction shots from white-trash blonde bitches.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Also, dont go to morimotos in nyc, its fucking garbage.
The only time I've eaten Morimoto's food was when he was still at Nobu, and it's the best Japanese food I've ever had. This was back when he was actually still working in the kitchen.

The best food I've had, at a big name chef's restaurants, are probably here in Chicago. I've eaten at Graham Elliot's and Rick Bayless' restaurants.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
I don't know how much of Kitchen Nightmares is legit, but the ABC Bistro definitely seemed to be, and he revamped a restaurant I used to go to all the time when I worked in my hometown. My sister wanted to have her rehearsal dinner there, but when she went to set it up it was after the Kitchen Nightmares episode so everything was changed. The menu items she wanted no longer existed and we went elsewhere.

Anyways, when we were talking to the woman she was telling us all about Ramsay being there, and what they did and how they changed things. Chick was legit almost crying about how they changed her family business. It seemed like she was grateful but at the same time the price to keeping her business afloat was to change her family restaurant completely. So it seems that the show is probably for real, but they definitely probably coach the people they get in there the night he is evaluating, as well as up the drama in the kitchen etc. For example, this place was nothing amazing - was just a simple italian place. We liked their lasagna and manicotti; it was fairly cheap for a lunch deal and for us, lasagna tends to be like pizza. Even a bad one is still pretty good.

So, I'd have to say the average person would probably think the food was average, but being these restaurants aren't doing well they probably had a bad episode of under cooked/over cooked food, or bad food etc, stopping them from returning.

Example from the ABC Bistro episode is this:http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bel...son_on_yel.php

That's from two years ago and was a pasted version of a review some guy named Joel gives her (Amy actually mentions him in the episode to Ramsay) and it was saved because she went apeshit on this guy, plus yelp. Chick is batty.

The Ramsay show I like the best tended to be master chef, though I have a hard time with it. I love all three chefs, and I know it's an elimination thing, but the season where Jennifer won fucking drove me nuts. Of everyone else, she had the most inconsistent food. She had the most bad food of anyone; they legitimately spit her food out several times - though I think on the other side she also won many challenges? Can't quite remember. Some of the things she made were fucking gross, and even knowing how the show works I was just really irritated that she was squeaking by because she would only lose the "advantage" challenges and not the elimination, or if she sucked at the latter she would just barely be better than the worst. The chefs I consider "good" tend to wow sometimes, and have good dishes most other times; she was awful most of the time, and if she didn't outright bomb a challenge she was still relatively low. It made me really want them to do some kind of point thing, though that would obviously change the show.

Hell's Kitchen also tends to be a little annoying; I still watch it, but as a chef myself who has worked in a restaurant (albeit nothing like this) I find it hard to believe trained chefs are just absolutely going to pieces like this. It's entirely possible, mind you, because there's so much pressure but they make some serious rookie mistakes that I have to think they are being coached to do it.

Anyways, I love Ramsay because he knows his shit. He also can be very caring and compassionate when the specific show is not marketed as him yelling at people.

I really need to look into Boiling Point though.

I've only been to a few big name restaurants; I'd love to go to Graham Elliot's. The only downside is that despite training as a chef I am not much of a foodie. I can make very delicious foods and I can mix things up, but there are some foods that I really dislike and I feel like as a real foodie chef I'd have to like them, especially if I want to go to the big name restaurants. For instance, I can't stand things like lobster, bleu cheese, nori in sushi etc. I also hate herbs like tarragon and cilantro. For whatever reason a lot of fancy foods like to add fucking tarragon and I cannot eat it.

I have a hard time watching these shows without wanting to just go and make a ribeye steak though.